Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Range report on new GP100 4" 357 revolver

1K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  jwc007 
#1 ·
Picked up my new GP100 4" 357 revolver this weekend for $556 + tax at a LGS. Took it to the range Sunday and broke it in with a few 357 , a few 38 special +P , and then 50 38 special. Prior to range time - I took it apart and did a light polish on the friction surfaces - then soaked internals in breakfree for a few hours. Re-assembled and did 200 dry fires w/snap caps. Trigger pull is very smooth - 8.5 lbs in DA , and 3.0 lbs SA. Unloaded it weighs 39.6 oz's , and with 6 357's it weighs 42.6 oz's. This version of the GP100 is perfectly balanced. It shoots 357 more accurately than standard 38 special. It must have been designed around the 357 cartridge. Recoil was very low - less than half the felt recoil as compared to a 3" Taurus Judge ( I know the loads are different ). My only complaint is the blued finish has a few small spots that don't match the rest of the finish. I may decide to send it back to Ruger for this - or may not. It took about 18 rounds and doing some alternate cylinder loading to train my self on how best to grip this beauty. But once I settled down it is shooting pretty accurately.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Auto part

Circle
I put these three 6" splatter targets on the white sheet after my warmups. Distances are 10 and 15 yards. It is so easy to stage the DA trigger I didn't even use SA for any of these targets.

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice revolver! Congrats!

Reactions: silverstring
#4 ·
My only complaint is the blued finish has a few small spots that don't match the rest of the finish.
All three of my Ruger guns have differing blue colors on different parts, too. Unless it's really bad, I think it is normal for Ruger.

It is so easy to stage the DA trigger . . .
Yes indeed! That's one of the things I do like about the GP100 revolvers.

Congrats on yours. I think you made a wise choice on the 4". I have a 6" and it gets muzzle heavy very quickly. :D

#9 ·
I notice it has my favorite grips on it. :D I never owned a GP100, but they're super strong if heavy. But, it's not much heavier, only a few ounces, than my 4" Taurus 66. It weighs about what my 6.5" blackhawk weighs. I had a Security Six I traded straight up for the Blackhawk. I didn't care much for the Security Six, was a might quirky. Sighted in with .38s, it shot WAY off windage and elevation with magnums. It wasn't very accurate with .38s, either. I'm sure it was that particular gun, just had its quirks, but I'm happier with the Blackhawk. The GP 100 is a lot stronger design than that Security Six, a little heavier is the price you pay. But, everyoone swoons over the Security Six. I had one and didn't think it that great. They all bash the GP100 for it being so heavy, but it's STRONG as an ox for that few ounces more weight. If you ask me, the GP100 is the MUCH better firearm. I've never gotten one because I wound up with my 66s which are awesome shooters, but I readily admit the Ruger is a stronger design. The Taurus is stronger than the K frames, more beef in the frame, ROUND forcing cone, but again, it's heavier.

So, if weight for a carry is a problem, the GP100 might not be the gun for you. Check out the 605s or the SP101 or the LCRs. BUT, if you want a STRONG medium frame DA revolver, they don't get no stronger than a GP100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.