Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All shots at 7 yds i did hit the paper thats always good for the first time shooting a gun . Of the 150 rds all brass 115 gr all fired without incident . Overall everything went well however i have a nagging question maybe you can answer Why does the trigger travel so dam far back on this model taurus my pt 845 has a way better trigger ; this is ridiculous. Ive shot at least 5-6 pocket 9mm all major brands with better take up even shot a 30 year old 9x18 makarov with a better trigger thus making it easyer and more accurate to shoot. I guess like all new things ill have to get use to it besides it is a pocket / self defense gun and not a comp piece. And that my two cents worth . And whats that gap on the top/reward part of the slide where it contacts the barrel staring up at you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I actually like the trigger on my 740, of course I'm used to shooting a Beretta PX4 that has evil heavy trigger pull. You'll get used to it eventually. I'm not sure what you mean by "gap", but there is a pop-up loaded chamber indicator on top the slide right behind the breech block. Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to mention ive ben shootin glock 17 keltec pf9 pt845 browning bucmark 22lr hipoint 905 carbine. And i dont mean the ric safety its the gap in the steel on top of the breach part of the barrel its square and goes into the slide . First tauri ive seen like this.

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's the descending breech block. When the slide comes back it descends downward to facilitate chambering of a round by lowering the top half of the feed ramp assembly. If you work the slide slowly you can see it go down, then as the slide closes it pops back up into place once the round is chambered. I believe the Millennium series uses the same system, but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Congrats, glad you like it. I'm loving my 740 so far. Just bought a DeSantis #106 Sof-Tuck IWB holster for it, it fits the 709 too.

·
Registered
313 Posts
...i have a nagging question maybe you can answer Why does the trigger travel so dam far back on this model taurus ...
For better or worse. the long "takeup" in the 709/740 trigger is needed for the second strike capability. In second strike mode the striker spring is compressed during this motion (requiring 6-7 pounds of trigger force) until the striker is released when the trigger reaches its aft position. But under normal single-action operation the trigger moves relatively freely (2-3 pounds of trigger force) until it touches the sear. The firing pin block also releases during this "takeup" motion but this could also be accomplished with much less movement.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought there was a reason it was so diffrent. Makes sense though i wonder if it can be modified to take up less travel shure would be nice.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I got used to the trigger pull, and I like it now. What I really like is the short reset - followup shots only require relieving pressure on the trigger a short distance, not letting it go all the way forward, and the next shot is much quicker to get off.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
The trigger will get nicer the more you shoot it,mine must have lightened up by about a pound I think.snap caps help too,especially when watching the politicos on the news. If ya know what I mean?.(make sure it's unloaded OK?):icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
The 709 trigger does take some getting used to, but after break-in, I like the feel of it. It is different than a lot of pistols on the market, but so was the 1911 when introduced and it is an amazing pistol to this day. You will get used to it and hopefully like it.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
My wife has a 709. I like the trigger on it a lot! I especially like the Double Strike capability. First time I shot it it was a thing of beauty. I'd like to get a 740 at some point down the road. Need to pick up my TCP first : )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.