Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy to report my, new to me, 1994 44SS8 has completed a first range trip for me. As I am new to the .44 magnum I was expecting this puppy to kick like a MULE! I squeezed off the first round braced for it then......WHAT?! Hell my Kimber has more recoil then this! WOOHOO!!!! Also there was this perfectly punched hole dead on the center of my target 25 yrds away. With a huge grin on my face I finished off the next 5 rounds, reloaded and before I knew it 50 240gr jacketed hollow points were gone! Thankfully my Father-In-Law is an avid reloader and had plenty more .44 ready. We ran about 150 rounds through my Taurus finishing up with 300 grain " Grizzly " loads he uses in his S&W model 29 6" out in Montana when he goes Elk hunting. THOSE had a nice wallop to them boy! Ok enough gushing...lol

I found the trigger to be crisp and VERY light when the hammer was already cocked. Not as bad as my FIL's ( Father In Law ) Model 29. That thing is scary light when cocked.

I tested my 44SS8 outside in winds up to 30mph.... I WAS in western Minnesota in BEAUTIFUL farm country so there isn't a heck of a lot to block the wind, at least it was sunny and 53 degrees.

I managed 2" groups from a weaver style grip with arms resting on a shooting bench.

Standing using the same stance and grip method I was able to get 3-4" groups.

Ammo used was PMC 240 grn TCSP, Winchester 240 grn JHP and 300 grn Lead wad cutter ( ??, just a big ole piece of lead not a ball but shaped like a JHP )

After every 24-30 rounds I swabbed out the barrel and cylinder then resumed shooting. After 50 rounds we had to replace the log we had the target stapled to as it had been blown to pieces. Not bad for a 2' wide pine log section IMHO.

All in all I can truely say my Kimber has been dethroned as favorite hand gun!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for sharing your stimulating and excellent range report with us.

(Dang it! Now I want a .44 Magnum!) :rolleyes:

Reactions: JayneCobb

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Too True Qwiks draw! I was expecting something COMPLETELY different from how it actually shot. All I've ever heard about .44 Magnums is : HOLY RECOIL BATMAN! I had fired one other .44 before this one, my Father In Laws S&W Model 29 6". THAT thing did kick like a mule and the trigger, once the hammer was back, was stupid light. Scary actually. The slightest pressure or bump to the gun and BOOM! I fired 6 shots and didn't want to touch it again. So when I picked out this one I was wondering if I had made a mistake.....My Range Report above gives a pretty good idea of how happy I am with this pistol, but, I LOVE THIS THING!!!!! :D I have already recommended Taurus to at least a dozen people and my Father in Law, TODAY, purchased a Raging Bull .44 8" in black/blued for himself.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice! Sounds like a sweet wheel gun. If the ammo wasn't so pricey...might be something worth exploring

Reactions: JayneCobb

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Righty, Got me a Father in Law that reloads! SCORE!!! lol;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts