Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went old school with these reloads. I used my dippers and trickled to the correct weight for each load. I also used my single stage press and hand primer.

I built a total of 60 rounds for this test. Ten rounds of each weight from 8.4 - 9.4 In increments of .2 gr. This data was taken from the Sierra load book.
The COL used was 1.27 in. This is longer than the standard recommended COL of 1.26 but fits in the mag and functioned without incident. I am thinking the extra case capacity will keep pressures down and alloy me to work up to higher vels. Range was ten yards.

The first two loads tested yielded unacceptable accuracy. The poor accuracy made up for the difficulty I had with the chrony. I think the sun was causing sensor errors. Since the accuracy was poor the lack of chrono data was not a big deal.

By the time I got to the third set of reloads I had a little shade and the Chrony was recording every shot.

165 gr Hi-Shok JHP
Rem 2 1/2 LPP
HS-6 - 8.8 gr .HS-6 - 9.0 gr .HS-6 - 9.2 gr .HS-6 - 9.4 gr
COL 1.27
R-P brass

8.8 gr HS-6 = 1120 FPS with a ES 72
9.0 gr HS-6 = 1138 FPS with a ES 60
9.2 gr HS-6 = 1176 FPS with a ES 74
9.4 gr HS-6 = 1204 FPS with a ES 72

The average vesl delivered were consistently above the books predictions.
the average group sizes were 3 1/4 to 1 1/2

9.0 gr was the most accurate load @ 1 1/2 in and 1138 FPS I will work with this load by adjusting charge weight up and down by .1 gr and shortening the COL.

I think there are a lot more FPS to safely be had. and will explore some heavier loads in the near future.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Excellent writeup! This also points to the fact that I need to invest in a chronograph. Have you tried any Longshot powder? My 10mm loves it when used with 180gr. XTP's.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Panda, I have not tried Long shot although I have been reading quite a bit about it. If HS-6, WW-231 or Unique don't work then It will be on my list to try next.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
If you can make the HS-6 work for you, I wouldn't bother with the Longshot. It doesn't meter that well from my RCBS powder measure.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
I would need to look it up but I doubt that Unique or w-231/Hp-38 will give you much in the way of velocity/energy if that's a goal?
I use Accurate 5 myself for both plinking (I don' plink light) and self defense loads, I also like the 150-155 grain projectiles best myself. not trying to change your mind , just talking here.
I got some Bad A$$ looking 140 grain all copper but haven't loaded them up yet, that should interesting out of a 10 MM with a 4.5 -5 inch barrel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts