Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife says this morning, "Let go to the range when I get off." After the angels in the background stopped singing I said "Okay." There are only two things she could have said that would have been better. Let's play golf today is one of them. Yes, I'm a blessed man. On to the range report.

I Shot 125 total rounds. Actually 126. I discovered an unfired Monarch round in the sea of brass on the floor as I was putting our guns away and shot that too. 100 Remington UMC 115 grain FMJ's and 25 Speer Gold Dot 124 grain JHP's. This go around I started with the JHP's when the gun was clean and ran one mag of that ammo 12+1 to make sure it would run loaded like it will be carried. Once again the gun ran perfectly with zero malfunctions. Since we had the place basically to ourselves while there, I was able to air out the gun a bit and shot at a pace more typical of a self defense situation, about 4 shots per second. Groupings were consistently about 6" at 10 yards even at the quicker pace with an occasional flyer. Apparently there's a bit of a learning curve with this gun (read trigger). Even running the targets out to the max distance of 16.6 yards, I was still putting them in 6" groups, though the pace slowed to about 2 - 3 shots per second. The mags were also easier to load today without the help of a loader. Leaving the mags fully loaded in the safe last night paid dividends.

So far that's 335 rounds (plus 1) of range (251 rounds) and self defense ammo (85 rounds) with nary a hiccup. One more range session, which should happen this Friday as my youngest son has alerted me he'd like to go shooting, and I'll hit the 450 - 500 round range mark. For me this is my comfort round mark. If a handgun can get to this point with no problems, then I consider it carry worthy, or dependable for a house gun. Yes, I understand any mechanical device can fail at any time, but usually you can make a pretty good determination of a guns worthiness at this point.

At this point I have to say, so far, this gun continues to be a pleasant surprise. In fact, very pleasant. I really didn't expect this kind of performance out of this gun. I figured there would be at least an occasional FTF or FTE, but there has been nothing close to either. I also have to say that with every pull of the trigger my appreciation grows for a firearm that shoots more expensive than it is. $200 dollars? Are you kidding me? Kudos Taurus, kudos.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Excellent write up GSX4. I can't imagine a $200 dollar pistol that can compete with this. If the pedigree people can get past the price and actually give it a test shoot- we're going to see a lot of other brand loyalists that will be snapping these up.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Great range report! And yes, you are blessed to have a wife like that. Perhaps she would be interested in joining the forum as well? We have lots of husband-wife couples on the forum.

I wouldn't worry too much about the FTF. I had it happen with a Ruger SR40c. A good cleaning and cleaning out the firing pin channel with Gun Scubber usually solves the problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great range report! And yes, you are blessed to have a wife like that. Perhaps she would be interested in joining the forum as well? We have lots of husband-wife couples on the forum.

I wouldn't worry too much about the FTF. I had it happen with a Ruger SR40c. A good cleaning and cleaning out the firing pin channel with Gun Scubber usually solves the problem.
How do you like the SR40C Lmstncwby? I love my SR9C although it's at bedside stand duty now with a light as the PT-111 is taking over EDC duties.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My wife says this morning, "Let go to the range when I get off." After the angels in the background stopped singing I said "Okay." There are only two things she could have said that would have been better. Let's play golf today is one of them. Yes, I'm a blessed man. On to the range report.

I Shot 125 total rounds. Actually 126. I discovered an unfired Monarch round in the sea of brass on the floor as I was putting our guns away and shot that too. 100 Remington UMC 115 grain FMJ's and 25 Speer Gold Dot 124 grain JHP's. This go around I started with the JHP's when the gun was clean and ran one mag of that ammo 12+1 to make sure it would run loaded like it will be carried. Once again the gun ran perfectly with zero malfunctions. Since we had the place basically to ourselves while there, I was able to air out the gun a bit and shot at a pace more typical of a self defense situation, about 4 shots per second. Groupings were consistently about 6" at 10 yards even at the quicker pace with an occasional flyer. Apparently there's a bit of a learning curve with this gun (read trigger). Even running the targets out to the max distance of 16.6 yards, I was still putting them in 6" groups, though the pace slowed to about 2 - 3 shots per second. The mags were also easier to load today without the help of a loader. Leaving the mags fully loaded in the safe last night paid dividends.

So far that's 335 rounds (plus 1) of range (251 rounds) and self defense ammo (85 rounds) with nary a hiccup. One more range session, which should happen this Friday as my youngest son has alerted me he'd like to go shooting, and I'll hit the 450 - 500 round range mark. For me this is my comfort round mark. If a handgun can get to this point with no problems, then I consider it carry worthy, or dependable for a house gun. Yes, I understand any mechanical device can fail at any time, but usually you can make a pretty good determination of a guns worthiness at this point.

At this point I have to say, so far, this gun continues to be a pleasant surprise. In fact, very pleasant. I really didn't expect this kind of performance out of this gun. I figured there would be at least an occasional FTF or FTE, but there has been nothing close to either. I also have to say that with every pull of the trigger my appreciation grows for a firearm that shoots more expensive than it is. $200 dollars? Are you kidding me? Kudos Taurus, kudos.
Excellent dissertation, and I agree with you 100%.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the range report! I plan on test driving one on Saturday along with a Ruger 9e and Springfield XD9. Hopefully the prices stay down until I can shoot it so I can get in on these rediculous prices. I see KY gun co is sold out. Bummer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Something to note concerning the current price - this is definitely NOT a Saturday night special. This is actually a quality firearm. For it being on the market for over two years, and a gazillion of them sold, the reports of trouble and breakages are hard to find.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
If I keep seeing all these great right ups and the prices for to much longer I am going to be tempted. Ugh.

·
Super Moderator
40,507 Posts
Nice report, sounds like a great range visit. The Millennium series of pistols just seem to be easy to shoot.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Its enjoyable hearing all the new G2 owners telling about how much they like the performance of the G2. Its old hat to some of us that have been carrying it since it came out. I think the G2 will do much to help the opinion of taurus handguns.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the range report! I plan on test driving one on Saturday along with a Ruger 9e and Springfield XD9. Hopefully the prices stay down until I can shoot it so I can get in on these rediculous prices. I see KY gun co is sold out. Bummer.
Palmetto state armory has them for $199, you have to pay shipping but that's better than having to wait for a back order to be filled. Ordered mine the other day!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Palmetto is about due for a free shipping day. That's when I purchased my last PT111 G2 for $239.99 delivered.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts