Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This Range Report is on my new Mossberg Maverick 88 pump shotgun (in Flat Dark Earth color "FDE")
This is one of the security models, I chose the 20 inch barrel as it has more capacity than the 18.5 inch version.
Sleeve Textile Rectangle Pattern Magenta

Specs:
Synthetic FDE-finished stock
12 Gauge
Bead front sight
Pump action with a 7+1 capacity
20-inch barrel with a blued finish
Fixed cylinder bore choke
6.5 pounds

I have an Allen elastic shell holder on the stock as well as a “Keeper” brand limb/shoulder saver for the butt end of the stock (worked well). It’s elastic and seems to have some sort of “gel” insert inside. I got both on Amazon the shell holder was around like $4.99 and the limb/shoulder saver was about $13.99 at that time for “two”. To note, like most limb/shoulder savers it take a bit of time to stretch and put them one, just FYI.. but they are worth it. Also to note, my shoulder feels pretty good at moment, considering.

I also bought (and actually was able to find) a Mossberg OEM (parkerized metal) heat shield for almost $50.00… I’ve been busy so I did not get a chance to put it on yet.

I also bought some orange practice “dummy” shells off of Amazon for around $11.00 at that time. I knew ahead of time that the brass is on the cheap side and it will “dent” as bit, however it looks like it only does that from the magazine tube when cycling the rounds, when side loading, they seem to be holding up well.. So it will be good practice for me, loading and then unloading from the elastic shell holder on the stock.

I did shoot at about 10 yards, and a few yards further than that.. I only kept the 10 yard target (as shown below).

I do and have shot shotguns before. I currently own a single break barrel Turkish Yildiz shotgun that is awesome and is VERY light and kicks like a mule.

But I am happy to say, right front the start… AWESOME shotgun!
We were shooting double ought (#OO) buck, 9 pellet 2 – ¾ shells @ 1325 Feet Per Second. both Remington and also Rio brands with no issues.

The Remington is in the green circles and one of the Rio’s in the red in the picture below. They both worked well, the shotcup from the Rio brand "sometimes" hit the target lower as shown.

Yes, I was bit high on the upper left, this was my first shot and I wanted to make sure my sight picture was right. The awesome thing about this shotgun is the weight of it, compared to my light Turkish shotgun the weight of the Mossberg really helps. Sure, with any shotgun it’s still has a lot of kick to it, but proper stance is key with your cheek right up on the stock, and a nice forward stance as well.

As the picture shows, I got every centered with the last shot at in the middle at again.. about 10 yards on this silhouette target.
Facial expression White Product Sleeve Font

I’ve also seen MANY videos before buying this, and many awesome reviews out there.

From the info that I gathered, this is just like a Mossberg 500, although the “foreend” takes a bit more effort to replace. Also, they keep the cost down by making “some” of the parts over the border in Eagle Pass, Texas.

The Maverick 88s are factory finished with steel bluing only, where as the Mossberg 500s have factory-blued, nickel-plated or parkerized (barrel/magazine) options. I did read and see videos from the guys out there, that also state to keep the shotgun really oiled up as this one is prone to rust in humid climates. I always check my firearms in storage, but I am going to put a bit more effort into this one.

Also to note, I bought this one at Academy Sports before the holidays as my Wife was telling me I should grab it as I always miss these when and if they go on sale. I was able to get it for $200.00, this model is usually around $240 regular price, so not too bad.. And it was the last one. It’s been three months now, and Academy Sports, Palmetto State Armory and Sportsman’s warehouse "locally" are still out of this model.

Conclusion… So far.. without a doubt this is one of the best firearm purchases that I have made. Highly Recommended!
Thank You for reading my Range Report. Happy New Year, stay safe out there...

·
Super Moderator
39,232 Posts
Nice report, thanks! I bought the 16" version and wish I'd held out for the longer barrel and higher capacity. I put a Limbsaver on mine and the extra LOP was uncomfortable so I bought a Hogue Overmolded replacement that is shorter and more comfortable. Thanks for the tip on "rustability". I have the 28" barrel also and it's not been stored in the safe with the dehumidifiers. I need to check it and get it in there.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice report, thanks! I bought the 16" version and wish I'd held out for the longer barrel and higher capacity. I put a Limbsaver on mine and the extra LOP was uncomfortable so I bought a Hogue Overmolded replacement that is shorter and more comfortable. Thanks for the tip on "rustability". I have the 28" barrel also and it's not been stored in the safe with the dehumidifiers. I need to check it and get it in there.
Thanks, it is a great shotgun for the price. I'm really happy that I was able to get this one.

·
9,352 Posts
Love love love my 88 youth in 20ga. I added a limbsaver,,anyway it is popular with the kiddo's and my main farm shotgun,,I have a 20 gauge Turkish auto with the 18" that is for home defense.

Building Automotive exterior Font Bumper Rectangle

·
Super Moderator
35,778 Posts
Love my Mossbergs. I do prefer the thumb/tang safety to the Maverick. It's not a big deal in a home defense gun, though, as I'd store it with the chamber empty. .

Reactions: HappyTom

·
Super Moderator
39,232 Posts
I've been intrigued with the rapid loading of shells through the ejection port. Seems kind of cool to me.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I have one I use in 3 gun competition I'm one of the few who uses a pump and I get lots of compliments on My skill with it, a lot of Guys ask if it's a Mossberg 500 and they're surprised to find out it's a $200 shotgun.
It usually resides in My bedroom closet hammer down with the safety off and a full tube of 00 buck.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also to note a day afterwards, The limb/shoulder saver worked really well.. I thought I would have some bruising on shoulder, but nothing this morning. Maybe I'll test out some 3 inch magnum buckshot next. :)

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
Thanks for the report, congratulations on the new shotgun!

Reactions: HappyTom

·
Super Moderator
39,232 Posts
Thanks for the report. Been looking at one of these for myself.
Here's the best of both worlds, although if one waits for a sale this combo can be had in the 230-240 dollar range.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Mav 88 is a formidable firearm justly so for the purpose intended for . I have one for years and shot it 5 times for qualifying ACT 235 ,Punishing to shoot but does the job intended for ! Congrats on the dark earth looks great 1
Thanks, by far.. it's probably my best purchase yet. The action just glides.. like glass.. I had no issues rack this shotgun.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
A while back, I noticed my choices for "run and gun" were not keeping up on the shotgun events. I had been using a Marlin 120 because it was butter smooth and loaded like a 500 Mossberg. It locked up a couple of times and parts are not easy to get.

I've been looking into shotgun replacement since the end of 2018 and looking into practical ways to extend the useful range of the pattern. Also practical accessories. I've learned a lot in the last three years with 12 and 20 gauge, and the Maverick is a hard deal to pass up.

I've been playing with these for a couple of months. They are listed as 12ga, but they hold 20ga tight as well. One thing about shotguns is having enough ammo. I've tried cheaper shotgun cards and they will drop shells after a while. So far, Esstac's have held up really well. So far, they still hold under 12ga pump recoil. Also the Velcro works a lot better than I thought it would. I put one strip on the left side of the receiver and another on the right side of the butt-stock on my 590 put together. That is 8 rounds in the magazine, and 14 rounds on the gun.

As long as the pump doesn't slide over the receiver, the 7rd card works.

Wood Cork Font Bottle stopper & saver Natural material

Table Wood Air gun Trigger Gas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts