Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am now in a position to discuss the merits of the PT809 pistol.The nearest indoor range to me is an hour's drive on the interstate, but fortunately for us this morning the temps were in the 30s, plenty warm enough to do some quick field shooting. :D

For those not aware of this model's lineage, the PT809 is derived from the PT24/7 line of firearms, except it is hammer fired with an external safety that can be set for true condition one carry similar to a 1911 or Browning Hi-Power type pistol.

My reasons for selecting this handgun were based on three factors-ergonomics, trigger feel, and affordability. After running some ammo through it this morning I can proudly say this gun has earned a place as my new carry weapon.In greater detail:

The ergonomics to my hands are superior to anything I have tried so far, with the exception of the Smith and Wesson M&P pistol. Like the M&P the Taurus 809 comes with three changeable backstraps, but the factory fitted medium size was the right fit for my hands so no changes were needed.The advantage of the PT809 over Glock and S&W is the extra length on the magazine butt.

The grip extensions greatly help the support hand hold the firing hand much more steady than a 'flush fit' grip design.With the support hand pinky being able to 'stack' under the firing hand little finger the shooter's grip is reinforced greatly, so with the 809 I can grip the pistol securely in ways I never could with other guns.

Handling my PT99 and the P809 back to back underscored the difference, as with the older handgun I have to crank my support hand forward to keep it from slipping off the bottom of the grip.With the stippling and finger grooves in the new pistol I can not only hold it better but I can also acquire a secure grip from a draw MUCH faster than I can with the PT99, with which I have to always 'adust' my grip before settling the sights and taking the shot.

This brings me to the topic of the trigger feel. In one word, its sublime. The problem I have always had with polymer frame striker pistols is that their triggers to my hands all suck horribly. The reason this gun beat the M&P for a spot in my collection was the trigger, because the Glock and M&P feel like toys in terms of trigger feel. I realize many people carry and use those brands of pistols and are quite happy with them. I also realize that for my needs I will not commit $400 to purchasing ANY firearm built with a substandard trigger.

With the M&P and Glock the trigger felt like popping the release on my car hood. The PT809 has a crisp Single Action pull, a quick reset in Single Action, and the DA pull is heavy but consistent.I do not have a trigger scale handy for exact measurements, but compared to my Beretta 92 and 5906 S&W the trigger pull is competitive. Had the trigger been made out of metal versus polymer Taurus really would have a game changer here, but as is the pull is very satisfying. In any case the gun is not a showpiece firearm, so a polymer trigger is an appropriate install here. It breaks so well that I WANT to dry fire the gun, which is the way it should be.

For an example of the way things should not be, look at the market for Ghost and quick-reset triggers for Glocks , M&Ps, and their ilk. Such companies will not attract any buyers for an aftermarket trigger for the PT809 as Taurus thankfully saw fit to place a competent trigger into the weapon from the factory.

With the understanding that nearly every new firearm purchased is much more accurate than its owner, I took this weapon out to verify that there were not any serious accuracy issues stemming from a defect in manufacture. I can state this pistol is very capable of putting lead where one wants to.My first two mags through this firearm using Winchester White Box ammo met with zero issues, failures, jams, or egregious accuracy problems. I did thoroughly clean the weapon in every nook, cranny, and crevasse to remove any of the factory preservative from the gun beforehand and lubricated the rails prior to shooting, and this is a procedure I would not skip with this gun.

Unlike weapons assembled and shipped in the U.S. Taurus must pack their guns with a great deal of grease to prevent rust in salty marine air during the Brazilian-made guns' three week boat trip to the United States.Once an owner takes delivery of a Brazilian made Taurus firearm the FIRST order of business is to scrub the gun internally on every edge, surface, and part the eyes see and the brush can reach. I even cleaned in between the trigger and the trigger valley and found gunky assembly grease there , so a detailed cleaning is VERY necessary before any course of fire can be attempted with a Taurus firearm. I would hate to see what the combination of a dry gun, carbon , and the viscous green yellow grease would do to a firearm.

All the controls on the gun are ambidextrous from the factory, so there is no need to "switch parts" or turn around the magazine release for left handed shooters.The safety is curved slightly on the outside, so its smooth enough to not be disengaged accidentally but retains enough purchase for the thumb to easily disengage or decock the weapon as desired.

Recoil was nil. I seriously think this pistol has less recoil than my 20 year old, steel frame PT99. I braced myself expecting muzzle rise similar to my friend's Glock 23 ....and was greeted with very easy recoil. Do not let the polymer frame design scare one into thinking it can't handle +P loads either, as I ran a +p 115 grain JHP and 147 grain JHP 9mm through it with very well controlled recoil, the best I have ever experienced with a polymer frame gun.

By comparison my old SR9 felt like a .357 magnum when I shot +P rounds in it, which didn't suggest good tidings for returning to target in a self defense situation. This PT809 with its dual-recoil spring felt smooth as butter and remained unperturbed regardless of the 9mm rounds I fed it.

Takedown is blind-bat easy. Push down on the Glock-like disassembly tabs, pull back the slide slightly and slide it and the barrel off the frame. A+ for Taurus on not requiring a dry pull of the trigger to release it!

Someone on this forum once asked me if this gun is better than the PT99. I consider this gun a different flavor of awesome from that piece. I think of the PT99 as a really great old school record, versus the PT809 being an awesome Blu-Ray movie. Both pistols have a home in my safe, in any case, and should in yours too.

My personal rating is that this pistol is one of the biggest sleepers on the market. I would advise the wise shooter to cross shop and purchase in any of the calibers offered ( 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP) soon before Hollywood, the XDmeisters and the Glockenspielers find out what a winner this gun is.

:D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I actually liked your post a lot. I have a PT809 as well and have only taken it out once since Xmas to the range. I shout about 50 rnds of Tula and no FTF's or FTE's. The one thing I did notice was that my shots are about 3" low and to the left. Granted, those are far too few rounds to make any assessment to pipe in on the accuracy yet. It truly does handle very well and has a very gentle recoil and I do plan on taking it out to the range a couple of more times.

I believe my son and wife got the PT809 when Academy had them on sale recently too and I'm tickled to death that they did.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
very nice post, anything you didnt like about it?
So far the only drawback ive discovered is that the stainless finish scratches easily.Not a big deal, as this isn't a showpiece firearm and what scratches that are on the weapon can be sanded or polished away in time anyhow, but that's the only one I can think of .

As stated above Taurus hit this one out of the park. If a shopper is thinking about a new XD, Glock, or other polymer frame weapon I would add this pistol to their shopping list.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Nice detailed report, thanks

·
Registered
548 Posts
Great write up and thank you for posting as an 845 will be my next purchase!!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Nice review, thank you.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Thanks for the report. I really appreciate your writing it.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Very good report - the kind people need in order to help make a buying decision.
And everything you said applies equally to my PT845.

·
Registered
311 Posts
This review belongs in a magazine! Thoroughly explained, well written, and informative.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thank you for a splendid report on your PT809.

I believe that this line of pistols may very well become as popular as the venerable Millennium Pro line.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thanks, "ST"... After you posted a response to my thred in the 24/7 section where I was asking about the differences between the 24/7 G1, G2 and the 809, I came here and read your review. I'm very excited about the flexibility and versatility of this pistol and I'm sending an email to a local FFL that does some business online.

Now I'd just like to see Taurus follow through on a 22 kit for the 800's...

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Great review! I have looked at the 845 a few times, It does feel good in my hands!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Very nice review. I have an 845 and agree with Lance that the same things you've found with the 809 apply to the 845 as well. I have an FNP-45 Tactical which I treated myself to earlier this year. While it does have a few features that the 845 doesn't (15-rd mags, threaded barrel, tapped for red dot sight), as a combat pistol the 845 compares very closely with the FNP in accuracy and reliability at a much lower price. I'd feel safe relying on either.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Shut up! If I come home with another gun my wife will go nuts.

Great Article, have been looking at these for a while now, talked a buddy into buying 1. He liked it so much he bought 2.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just what i needed to hear

I've been looking at this gun for some time, actually the compact version, and wanted to hear other users experiences. I have a mil pro 9mm which needs to go back for repairs because is not cocking the firing pin 100% of the time, a 709 slim 9mm, which taurus wants me to send back because spare mags i got from them don't fit the gun. So i was thinking of trading both for a 809c in 9mm or .40 not sure yet.

Can you guys give me some advice? I like both guns, but i've always felt more comfortable with hammer strike guns anyhow; i also have a ruger p345 .45, ruger p94 9mm, and a taurus 605 .357 which i feel more comfi carrying loaded with one in the chamber, decocked and no safety. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts