Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got out to the range to shoot my new Shield, and I took along some other guns too. I also took my daughter who has never shot a gun in her 30-year-old life. She was never interested until lately, so I took her along to hold the targets at the 7 yard line. Okay, not really. :D Just seeing if you're paying attention.

I took along my:

S&W Shield 9mm (new acquisition)
Sig P226 9mm
Taurus model 66
Sig Mosquito

I set up the Mosquito for my daughter to shoot. I took along 250 rounds of CCI Stinger ammo which the Mosquito loves. I had gone over how to operate the gun and the Jeff Cooper rules at the house, as well as how to hold a gun properly (not like TV) and she sent some rounds downrange. We adjusted her stance, and for a while her rounds were all over the place. We stopped for a minute and I explained about the sight picture, on a 3-dot setup, and sure enough her groups tightened up into the brown part of target, which is about 4 inches diameter. This was at 7 yards. I pulled the target back to 5 yards which is probably where I should have started her in the first place, and by the end of the session she was really hitting the center of the target well. She did really good for her first range visit.

I loaded up my Shield first with 147 grain XTP hollowpoints sitting on top of 5.3 grains of HS-6. It took a second to get used to the heavier bullet going lower than my usual point of aim, and this is where a chrony would have come in handy because this load is supposed to go about 1030 fps out of a longer barrel. I also shot some Berrys 124 grain FMJ out of the gun. All I have to say is, the jury is still out on the fiberoptic tritium sight that is on it. I may end up loving it, but its taking some time to figure it out and get comfortable with it. I wasn't even hitting paper on some loads and I just need to play with it some more. If worse came to worse, I could put the original factory rear sight on the gun and use that until I figure out what I want to do. The great news is, I love the Shield. It's easily the smoothest, non-creepiest trigger pull on a semi-auto striker fired gun that I've ever fired. The trigger is so smooth, it's really surprising especially after suffering through the trigger on my old Keltec PF9 which is a comparable sized gun. After I get the sight issue figured out, I'll really love this gun.

I shot the same ammo out of my Sig P226 with very different results. The 147 grain XTP shot a little lower, but not much, and grouped really well. The 124 grain plated RN Berrys bullet is dead on though. I was also using my two new Mec Gar 18 round magazines, and they were flawless. I'm glad to move these into my 3 magazine rotation, that gives me 51+1 capacity when I carry this gun. It's a really sweet shooter too.

Next was the Taurus 66. I had loaded up some 157 grain lead wadcutters sitting on top of 3.7 grains of Win231. I was pleased with the load, the wadcutters made a really pretty hole on the paper, very little tearing, just a neat hole. I will definitely buy some more of these Matt's Bullets for reloading. The 66 was perfect, it ran about 40 wadcutters through it with no issues at all and very little recoil.

That's about it, as usual any day at the range is a great day !

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This pic is of the target from 8 yards, all 18 shots from one of the new Meg Gar magazines for the Sig P226 went into the inner circle. Dang I like this gun !

Attachments

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I'm glad you explained why your 30 year old daughter had never shot a gun! :) Did your daughter move up to the 9mm that day? Maybe next trip? Looks like the 2 of you had a great time at the range.

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She did move up ! Toward the end of the range trip, I asked her if she wanted to shoot the 9mm Sig and she did. She was a little intimidated at first but then she asked to shoot it again and she did pretty well. In that regard it was a really great range trip.

·
Registered
36,015 Posts
I got out to the range to shoot my new Shield, and I took along some other guns too. I also took my daughter who has never shot a gun in her 30-year-old life. She was never interested until lately, so I took her along to hold the targets at the 7 yard line. Okay, not really. :D Just seeing if you're paying attention.

!
I find the best way to get a newbie accustomed to being around guns is to shoot an apple off their heads at 7 yards, you know one must trust their instructor!

·
17,565 Posts

I took along my:

S&W Shield 9mm (new acquisition)
Sig P226 9mm
Taurus model 66
Sig Mosquito

I set up the Mosquito for my daughter to shoot. I took along 250 rounds of CCI Stinger ammo which the Mosquito loves. I had gone over how to operate the gun and the Jeff Cooper rules at the house, as well as how to hold a gun properly (not like TV) and she sent some rounds downrange. We adjusted her stance, and for a while her rounds were all over the place. We stopped for a minute and I explained about the sight picture, on a 3-dot setup, and sure enough her groups tightened up into the brown part of target, which is about 4 inches diameter. This was at 7 yards. I pulled the target back to 5 yards which is probably where I should have started her in the first place, and by the end of the session she was really hitting the center of the target well. She did really good for her first range visit.

I loaded up my Shield first with 147 grain XTP hollowpoints sitting on top of 5.3 grains of HS-6. It took a second to get used to the heavier bullet going lower than my usual point of aim, and this is where a chrony would have come in handy because this load is supposed to go about 1030 fps out of a longer barrel. I also shot some Berrys 124 grain FMJ out of the gun. All I have to say is, the jury is still out on the fiberoptic tritium sight that is on it. I may end up loving it, but its taking some time to figure it out and get comfortable with it. I wasn't even hitting paper on some loads and I just need to play with it some more. If worse came to worse, I could put the original factory rear sight on the gun and use that until I figure out what I want to do. The great news is, I love the Shield. It's easily the smoothest, non-creepiest trigger pull on a semi-auto striker fired gun that I've ever fired. The trigger is so smooth, it's really surprising especially after suffering through the trigger on my old Keltec PF9 which is a comparable sized gun. After I get the sight issue figured out, I'll really love this gun.

I shot the same ammo out of my Sig P226 with very different results. The 147 grain XTP shot a little lower, but not much, and grouped really well. The 124 grain plated RN Berrys bullet is dead on though. I was also using my two new Mec Gar 18 round magazines, and they were flawless. I'm glad to move these into my 3 magazine rotation, that gives me 51+1 capacity when I carry this gun. It's a really sweet shooter too.

Next was the Taurus 66. I had loaded up some 157 grain lead wadcutters sitting on top of 3.7 grains of Win231. I was pleased with the load, the wadcutters made a really pretty hole on the paper, very little tearing, just a neat hole. I will definitely buy some more of these Matt's Bullets for reloading. The 66 was perfect, it ran about 40 wadcutters through it with no issues at all and very little recoil.

That's about it, as usual any day at the range is a great day !

Nice! My absolute favorite .38 spl load is 4.0 gr of W231 under a 158 gr LSWC. I have shot many thousands of that load over the years (should say decades). Some sources will now accuse that of being a +P load, but it wasn't when I started loading it.

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm to the point with these reloading companies where I don't hardly consider anything a +P load except for the load at the very top end of the power scale. Those 5.3 gr. HS-6 over the 147 grain XTP were +P and while they shot well in both 9mm's I took, I could tell they were snappier than what I usually run through my gun.

·
Super Moderator
35,500 Posts
Sounds like a great range outing! Those wadcutters are coated? I dislike shooting lubed hardcast lead indoors due to the smoke and fumes.

It's great that your daughter is learning the tools of self defense. It sounds like more sessions are in the future!

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a great range outing! Those wadcutters are coated? I dislike shooting lubed hardcast lead indoors due to the smoke and fumes.

It's great that your daughter is learning the tools of self defense. It sounds like more sessions are in the future!
The wadcutters are not coated. But, they didn't put off a ton of smoke from the lube, and they were very pleasant to shoot. Like I said, I'll definitely be buying more of them in the future.

First and third pic are the wadcutters I shot yesterday, from Matts Bullets. The second pic are my semi-wadcutters that ARE coated, from Missouri bullets.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,015 Posts

well I use plated or jacketed projectiles only myself.
but as to the smoke and smell, at my indoor range it only takes a single cowboy with lead bullets or a single Ninja shooting Tula out of a Ak-47 to really start to fog the place up and smell like a cat box.
I understand now they have bullet lube thats not that bad, but as I don't cast or use lead bullets I can't speak to that with any authority.
plus I have always had a taste for lead since I was a child and ate paint chips off the window sills so If I carried lead booletts to the range then I would be like a kid eating M & M out of the ammo box!---

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts