Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple of things.

I’m doing this range report at the half-year anniversary of my Father’s passing. I’ve made past posts in regards to him. Many of his words still resonate with me, especially when shooting as he was an advance marksman during and after his service to our country as well as a advocate of 2A rights. So when I say to you, that he is with me on the range today.. Know that I really mean and believe that 100%.

Additionally, I have no sponsorships / other with any companies in this range report I just need to make that clear.

The other thing to note, I was going to do this range report using my Yildiz break barrel shotgun and my .22LR Short Lane smooth bore adapter, but I am currently having shoulder, collarbone issues and now wrist issues all on my left side. Old injuries and a new one (great right?). It would not be a viable option today for shooting that. So I’ll be doing this review using the Heritage Revolver (6.5 inch barrel) one handed. I’m also very tired today… But I’m committed to going out just for a little bit to shoot today for this review.

Yes, I could use a rest doing this, but decided again not to, as I want to rely on me rather than an object. I’m not 100% pin point accurate, but I get by pretty well. Also as a great take away, I always like to practice one handed shooting and I highly recommend everyone practicing shooting that way especially a gun in .22 caliber that recoil is a bit more manageable.

Also to note, I thought I had bought CCI .22 Short solid round nose with the copper plated/jacketed noses.. But I just noticed they are .22 short hollow points. To compare, I also am shooting some Sellier & Bellot high velocity hollow point .22LR with the lead round noses. Sellier & Bellot is owned by the same company that owns Taurus: CBC / Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos..... They also own Magtech ammo.

To start, you can see also that we are using two speed strips today (these are TUFF Quick strips there are other brands out there). For the .22LR and .22 Short. I use these with .22LR for my Taurus PT22 as it is convenient to have these in my pocket to “top load” the pop up barrel in that pistol. It makes it way convenient to carry and handle the ammunition. Out on the range, the first and second round loading from the speed strip in the cylinder was ok, but then it got a bit trickier and I ended up taking the rest off of the strip by hand. Maybe I need to practice more with some empty cases? We’ll try that today after this review. But again, still convenient to carry and handle the ammunition using these strips.
Font Kitchen utensil Metal Close-up Wood

This time, we are going to shooting at 7 and 10 yards. I could go a bit further but I want to start off at 7 yards as a baseline. Again, I’m not shooting that much as physically I’m not feeling great as stated in the beginning of this review. A lot of guys out there seem to like my reviews.. So I’ll keep doing them.

Know that I chose the target, as it had solid circles that helped out a lot for this review. I know it says “combat shooting operator” on the top.. LOL… I do not feel like an “operator” today, maybe next week... or next year.

I first shot the CCI .22 Short hollow points. I’ve never shot these before. The orange circles in the picture below. The top is at 7 yards, the left circle is at 10 yards. Not bad… I really like these. The report / sound when shooting these sound a little bit more quiet than .22LR.. At least to me. They are not “CB quiet” rounds. I’ve watched a few videos today and they are very impressive with the damage they can do. I also saw one video, that stated that CCI is one of the only company that make hollow points in .22 Short and that is very interesting. Being that is uncorroborated info, we need to research that a bit more.

The Sellier & Bellot high velocity hollow point .22LR, the first green circle at the bottom at 7 yards and then the green circle at the right at 10 yards. The one thing to note and kind of challenging today as the older air unit in the shooting range in the lane that I was in moves the paper target a bit, like it is swaying in the breeze on the bottom to middle. So, those are NOT keyholing per se, more because of the movement of the paper target at the time of the impacts.
Azure Font Line Aqua Circle

Conclusion: I really like these CCI Short hollow points a lot. I may get more of these and re-visit shooting them in the ShortLane shotgun adapter and my Marlin 25n bolt action rifle and my KSA single shot rifle. And yes, I'll enjoy cleaning the revolver today after a good time at the range. Thank you for reading my range report today. (For you, Pop.)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very Interesting! I've not seen any .22 Shorts for sale in a long time. I used to use them on Squirrels and ONCE, and only ONCE, I tried killing a Big old Racoon with them. After exhausting the Magazine of my Marlin Model 25 into that Racoon, I firmly decided that .22 LR was the minimum for that size of varmint. The only reason I was using .22 Shorts was because that was what was in the Rifle at the time.

My late Mother's side Grandfather and I used to enjoy a bit of Target Practice with .22 Shorts in either a Rifle or a small Revolver. If I ever see any of those CCI .22 Shorts for sale at a reasonable price, I'll be sure to pick some up. I love CCI/Speer Ammunition!
You have a Marlin Model 25? Is that a 25N ? I got one of those, great rifle.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice report and nice one handed shooting Tom.
Hope ya feel better soon.
I have 22 shorts but I'm not sure of brand, I've used them in my RoughRider as well and in the bolt action Steven's 77B rifle that my FIL owned. It is a great round for teaching young shooters which is why I got it. Both my kids started with that.
Keep posting the reports, I enjoy them!
Thanks, I hope you are well upstate. My wrist on the left is getting better.... I'm seeing my doctor and he trying to press it back into alingment. The good thing is, from the metrics that I got it's not the ligament per se.. it's more of my thumb joint pressing up in "that area" that cause the issue. I also found that if I have my watch on that wrist and I go to sleep the presure goes to my thumb joint and again we have issues.. So I've been taken my watch off and wearing a full splint on that hand and wrist at night. The next report I am going to do, is a range report on shooting a few rounds of Fiocchi low recoil slugs in my Mavrick 88 pump shotgun.. They are about 1300 FPS. But I have to travel up to PSA indoor range to do that.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Barrel on my Rifle is stamped Marlin Model 25, so no "N". I quite agree, that these are great Rifles! :)

Marlin Model 25
Sorry for the late reply, I've had some things going on.. That is interesting I'll have to take mine out and take another look at the mark. It looks like the same as yours, except I don't have a scope on mine. WAY back in the day, I used to actually sell these rifles. They are tack drivers for certain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts