Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Friends…

This is my Range Report on the GSG Firefly Standard Velocity .22 LR using the light recoil spring that comes with the firearm. Please search and read my first Range Report using High Velocity .22LR ammo which this firearm is more designed for per GSG’s manual:

RANGE REPORT: GSG Firefly High Velocity .22 LR
https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/...e-report-gsg-firefly-high-velocity-22-lr.html

We were close to 15 yards out this time, and to note I am still training in regards to after my wrist injury and surgery, even though I have a partial disability, I can still shoot .22LR "twoo handed". And also to note.. it is “HOT” out today.. even in the indoor range (the HVAC was struggling).. so I did not shoot as many rounds as I wanted.. but I was able to shoot the following:

Aguila Standard Velocity Match, lead round nose, they are “not” eley primers like there high velocity, they have on the boxes that they are “Agulia Prime” so their own primers I take it.

Geco Standard Velocity, German import that suppose to cycle well as the lead noses are "smoothed" more during manufacturing. Standard Velocity also.

Federal Target Standard Velocity, lead round nose (the bulk stuff, white box 500 quantity).

I did have another target other than this one that I was just firing at to see if I had any issues, I did.

I had “one” of the rounds of Federal that was a stove pipe. And I had one round of the Geco that was another stove pipe. That was about from the 40 rounds I shot, respectively from both first. Possibly under powered rounds? Maybe.. but to note.. “no” fail to feed (FTF) at all.. so that’s good.

I shot about 100 rounds of the Aguila Standard Velocity Match, which “is” a tiny bit more expensive than the bulk ammo. No issues at all! Also, if we look at the “green” circle on the target picture which is the 2nd target that I shot at 15 yards.. not too shabby especially again.. with the wrist injury that I have... the only thing I can do is try to strengthen the wrist no matter of the lack of mobility.. that is working (Thank God.. Thank You).

The Federal is in the red and I was holding in that spot. Other than the stove pipe prior target, I had no further issues.

The Geco in blue and the last four that I had in orange did well after again.. the one stove pipe that I had prior.

So, conclusion with the standard velocity, if you want to target shoot using this gun using the bulk stuff.. that’s ok.. but know you may run across a stove pipe. As least from my experience, with “this gun” that I own. Or buy the more expensive “match” rounds, if not the Agulia Standard Velocity, maybe other brands that have Eley primers.. I have found Standard Velocity ammo with those primers do really well. OR use the heavy longer spring and use High Velocity rounds.

One thing I “did not” see, is the fail to feed (FTF) like other “YouTube” channels show.. this may be because of the feed ramp in “some” GSG Firefly’s out there.. ....but I really think "still" it is because those YouTube reviews did not use the “light” spring that comes with the gun. ALSO I did get another magazine from GunMagWarehouse (no affiliation) there was a few guys that said they were good to buy from, I agree! Fast shipping.. like "Three Days" and on sale.

Thank You again, for reading my Range Report.

Shooting sport Shooting Sport venue Circle Recreation

·
23,195 Posts
Thanks for the standard velocity report. Question applicable to both; are you shifting your point of aim to produce the different clusters from the different ammo? I'm assuming so, but can you tell us for certain?

Reactions: HappyTom

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the standard velocity report. Question applicable to both; are you shifting your point of aim to produce the different clusters from the different ammo? I'm assuming so, but can you tell us for certain?
Yes, I am moving my point of aim to different areas of the target when shooting the different brands of standard velocity ammo. The brand is noted by the colored circles.
Also, again... I am "not" that accurate as I am still overcoming the limitations in regards to my wrist. Based off of the gun that I have in front of me here.. I think it's a great gun for the price. High Velocity, is the way to go for a defensive round, and also I have "not" tested any higher end jacketed/plated hollow points, in high velocity.

·
9,091 Posts
Thank you for the great GSG report. Keep working it and those groups will shrink.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Thanks for the report.

I have thought about getting one of these and this just makes me want to all the more.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the report.

I have thought about getting one of these and this just makes me want to all the more.
There is four things to keep in mind:
1) People complain about the "feed ramp", which can be smoothed out fluff & buff, I have not needed to do that on mine. No issues on that. It "may be" that they have the wrong recoil spring installed, and they are shooting the wrong ammo (standard vs high velocity).

2) Some people have reported that rounds stop feeding in the magazine, and they need to rack the slide again to keep on going, depending on ammo. The "only" rounds that I had issues with, as noted in my first Range Report, was that Imported Sellier & Bellot High Velocity Hollow Points, they had strange lead noses, and a bit longer. But none of the other ammo have I seen that yet, either standard or high velocity.

3) Some reviewers start to complain when shooting bulk ammo and then they start getting issues because of carbon fouling at the 400 to 500 round mark in one shooting session.. well I've seen that in other guns. I think when you use cheaper ammo, it tends to be a bit on the dirty side.

4) I'm glad that my gun is working as well as it is, and I can only report on how my gun is out on the range. Judging from what is in the manufacturers manual, that the gun was designed for High Velocity rounds, that is still the way to go for self defense purposes. Or use the lighter spring, and try buy good standard velocity match rounds with eley primers, but sometimes those are priced higher.

Reactions: RScottie

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Thanks for the report, HT. I will have to ask my friend about the lighter spring for his.

Glad you're able to shoot , and hope things get better with practice and use - - they usually do, at least on your side of ninety.

Flash

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the report, HT. I will have to ask my friend about the lighter spring for his.

Glad you're able to shoot , and hope things get better with practice and use - - they usually do, at least on your side of ninety.

Flash
Thanks... I have no issues physically shooting this gun... all in all a great purchase. Eventually, I'll but a Ruger or a S&W .22LR pistol down the road... but so far the GSG ok in my book.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good report,glad the gsg is working for you.I have the gsg 522,my buddy has the ak gsg both are very accurate and reliable and fun to shoot.Keep it clean and it should eat any ammo with no issues,good luck with your gsg.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I love my firefly, at the time i got it (posted a range review a while back when i did, bee a while), it satisfied several needs, shoots good, was low cost, feels good in the hand, and due to its lower cost i dont mind hiding it in my truck for "emergency range time" (time when my wife drags me out to something she wants to do but doesn't expect me to stay so i drop her off find a local indoor and go shoot till she is done) that it also has a threaded barrel, so should i ever plan to do all the paperwork for a suppressor i can use it, and came with 2 magazines, will shoot any ammo i have asked it to, lots and lots of bulk, and i have never had a single issue with it, other then the trigger molding line in the middle of it was a bit sharp, but that was nothing a exacto knife and a few seconds couldn't, for the price i dont think i can be beat. Think i paid around $170 for it, retail it was $190, but where i bought it gave free range time with a purchase so that saved me $20 that day

By the way, a stick on rubberized grip is available for it, as is a magazine capacity upgrades, here are some links you might find useful, note that the magazine capacity upgrade does not have last shot hold open.

https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/gsg-firefly-s/163.htm

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748L2P3R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYS1PTN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Olyolson

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love my firefly, at the time i got it (posted a range review a while back when i did, bee a while), it satisfied several needs, shoots good, was low cost, feels good in the hand, and due to its lower cost i dont mind hiding it in my truck for "emergency range time" (time when my wife drags me out to something she wants to do but doesn't expect me to stay so i drop her off find a local indoor and go shoot till she is done) that it also has a threaded barrel, so should i ever plan to do all the paperwork for a suppressor i can use it, and came with 2 magazines, will shoot any ammo i have asked it to, lots and lots of bulk, and i have never had a single issue with it, other then the trigger molding line in the middle of it was a bit sharp, but that was nothing a exacto knife and a few seconds couldn't, for the price i dont think i can be beat. Think i paid around $170 for it, retail it was $190, but where i bought it gave free range time with a purchase so that saved me $20 that day

By the way, a stick on rubberized grip is available for it, as is a magazine capacity upgrades, here are some links you might find useful, note that the magazine capacity upgrade does not have last shot hold open.

https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/gsg-firefly-s/163.htm

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748L2P3R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYS1PTN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the tips. I'm not going to go with the follower upgrade for the magazine that allows 4 more rounds. I actually bought another magazine for it, I tested out last weekend and it works great. As for the grip, at some point I am going for the Pachmayr grip glove, as of today.. I used some silicone "wraptor tape", around the pistol handle. Can withstand heat tolerances up to 500 degrees, it is a thin as electrical tape, but feels like rubber, and does not leave any residue on the gun, so can remove it later on if I want... it's pretty good at the moment: Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

·
Registered
8 Posts
So this is kind of a Thread Resurrection after a couple of years, but it was a great resource for me.

History: I wanted a .22 after I got a 9mm (Taurus G3... LOVE IT. NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM 1000 rounds in...but i digress...) and the Taurus TX-22 was my number 1 choice...but I couldn't find one anywhere once I finally got my additional pistol permits. I had discounted the GSG Firefly due to a lot of poor reviews. Back when I first STARTED looking, JUST BEFORE the pandemic, about a year and a few months ago, they were under $200. Long story short, I finally got a GSG Firefly from PSA, though it was $259 on sale. Was still a little worried about ammo pickiness. Anyway, I love it. I only have about 150 rounds through it and it has been really fun to shoot. Gun is more accurate than the Shooter by a long shot, but I am very happy with it out of the box with no sight adjustment.

It hasn't been FLAWLESS, and I usually can count on 1-2 FTF's or FTE's per mag, though several have run without issue. Often the slide won't lock back on the last round, but that seems to be happening less often as it breaks in. Based on other reviews, I have been lubing it up well which seems to help.

.22LR seems to be more available these days, but the prices are what 9mm used to be, so it still isn't the super cheap option it once was.

Anyway, I will report the following ammo runs in the Firefly with the malfunctions described above. All of it has about the same malfunction rate, and also, I have run a full mag with each where there were NO malfunctions for what its worth.

• Aguila Super Extra 40 grain Copper Plated Round Nose
  • Winchester 36 Grain Copper Plated Hollow Point
  • Armscor 36 Grain Copper Plated Hollow point.

All are "High Velocity" ~1230 FPS and up, so I left the HV spring in it.

Anyway, THANKS so much to the Original Poster for the Range and Ammo reviews. Hope this additional information helps someone out as well.

P.S. Of course as soon as I bought the GSG Firefly, I found some TX-22's online. Again the price had jumped on them from the original $200-250 up to $317-$350. Had one more permit, so I was thinking of picking one up in the event I had bad AMMO luck with the Firefly. Maybe someday, but the Firefly is a KEEPER!!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I'll just throw this out for more input on these guns.
I have 2, a GSG Firefly and a Sig branded Mosquito, both have been reliable shooters with a variety of ammos. There are some ammos they don't like, but that's easy to avoid, I just shoot any problem ammo in revolvers.

I did do a little buffing here and there, just to smooth things out a little.

The triggers are a little stiff, but workable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll just throw this out for more input on these guns.
I have 2, a GSG Firefly and a Sig branded Mosquito, both have been reliable shooters with a variety of ammos. There are some ammos they don't like, but that's easy to avoid, I just shoot any problem ammo in revolvers.

I did do a little buffing here and there, just to smooth things out a little.

The triggers are a little stiff, but workable.
Feed ramp buffing? I've seen that in a number of places, but I didn't want to do more harm than good. Next time I clean it I might just run some polish over the feed ramp with a soft cloth.. no Rotary tool polishing..or just let it break in with more rounds through it.

·
Registered
32,257 Posts
Most all semi-auto .22 production pistols are set up for High Velocity rounds, as a lot of them would be a pain to change out recoil springs, and for a long long time, folks Just preferred High Velocity, unless in a tight area where it was overkill. For professional competition shooters, I doubt any of the pistols most of us ever buy are designed for competition shooting.
I do have a Phoenix Arms .22 that is made of Zamak and has a recoil spring a ball point pen might envy, but nothing else would. It does recommend Standard Velocity and does a great job for a 3" barrel. One member here also has one that he shot high velocity through and he says it is pretty loose.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Feed ramp buffing? I've seen that in a number of places, but I didn't want to do more harm than good. Next time I clean it I might just run some polish over the feed ramp with a soft cloth.. no Rotary tool polishing..or just let it break in with more rounds through it.
You're not likely to any harm to the feed ramp. Not really removing material or changing the profile, just smoothing it out so the lead bullets slide up it better.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
My experience with my Mosquito is exactly like that of the OP.
Use the right spring for the ammo you're shooting and it works fine.
Don't and it won't.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts