Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RANGE REPORT: FREEDOM MUNITIONS .45 RELOADS WITH SR1911 and PT145 MIL PRO

This afternoon I Christened my new Ruger SR1911 and my well used Taurus PT 145 Millennium Pro with 200 rounds of Freedom Munitions reloaded .45ACP 230gr FMJ. These 4 boxes of .45 reloads are part of the case of 500 that I recently purchased directly from Freedom Munitions. Each box was labeled with the caliber, bullet weight and type, and the word "REMAN".

Dirty6- Box.jpg

Using only the reloads, I tried a wide assortment of 1911 style magazines in the SR1911, from generic 7 and 8 round blued and nickel plated magazines, to MetalForm 8 and 10 round stainless magazines, to the Ruger factory 7 and 8 round stainless magazines, and there were no failures of any type or kind. All of the mixed headstamp Freedom .45 reloads functioned flawlessly, and were accurate. With the SR1911 fired handheld with my hand on a sandbag, my 25 yard target had 10 shots in one ragged 2" hole, evidence of the reasonable accuracy of the Freedom Munitions reloaded .45ACP.

In my Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro (Stainless), the Freedom Munitions reloads also functioned flawlessly, with no failures of any kind.

There has been some discussion in these threads about how dirty or clean burning these loads are, and today they were about as clean or as dirty as any other 200 rounds of .45 that I have fired.

In the SR1911, 150 rounds of these reloads were fired, and there was some powder staining at the muzzle, the front of the barrel bushing, and the front 1/2" of the slide. In the attached photos, the powder staining shows up as light gray soot, marked by red arrows. (The white coating on the barrel is some of the dry Teflon film coating that I use as a lube.) The bore, chamber, feed ramp, and surrounding areas had some powder staining, such that they appeared as a solid, matt gray covering in those areas.

Dirty2.jpg

Dirty3.jpg

Dirty4.jpg

Dirty5.jpg

In the PT145, 50 rounds left a little powder staining at the muzzle and the front of the slide, with a light coating of powder staining in the bore, chamber, and feed ramp.

While both pistols could classify as "dirty", they were no worse than my PT145 and other 1911 pistols were in the past with similar volumes of fire using factory ammo from the major brands.

Both pistols cleaned up quickly, thoroughly, and easily, with a patch wet with Hoppe's #9 eliminating the powder residue with little effort.

Total cleaning time for both .45 pistols was no different than any other ammo that I have used.

Considering its price and performance, I would have no hesitation to use the Freedom Munitions .45ACP reloads again.

TD 3/13/12

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Thanks for the report!

I plan on taking my pt1911 out tomorrow for some shooting of my FM .45 reman's.

The FM .45 already took a 25 pound smoker pig for me!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I get the same but its no different then when I was using Federal Champion but to me the Freedom seem a hair more accurate.

If anyone is interested in trying Freedom Munitions use the code "CHET-1" for a small discount. Its only 3% but every bit helps.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
put 100 rounds of .45 FM reman through my pt1911 this morning, good accuracy 3" groups from a bench at 25 meters and good double taps at 7 yards.

I'm a happy buyer, and shooter!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: Range report

Today, I had my departmental quarterly qualifications. This time I was issued Remington green box .45 ACP 230gr FMJ, and using the same Ruger SR1911 as yesterday (with the Freedom Munitions .45 REMAN loads), the 1911 looks exactly as it did yesterday after firing about the same number of rounds.

While more anecdotal than scientific, it appears that the Freedom Munitions REMAN .45 is no dirtier than the Remington green box factory loads.

·
Super Moderator
27,060 Posts
Got to check them out....Thank you all!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just ordered another 500 rounds of the "Blaster" (minor cosmetic blemishes) in .40 S&W from FreedomMunitions.

Their service and quality has been excellent!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I ordered another case of 9 mm Blaster over the weekend. It's Wednesday and it still hasn't shipped... :(

Since they've not shipped, I sent them an email asking them if I could add another 1k to the order. Maybe it'll work out.

·
Registered
644 Posts
This is where I buy all my range ammo from and agree I dont think its any dirtier then any other Ive used. I was a little hesitant with the blaster ammo and the owners past mishaps. But it fired flawlessly and for practice one cant go wrong price wise.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just ordered another 500 rounds of the "Blaster" (minor cosmetic blemishes) in .40 S&W from FreedomMunitions.

Their service and quality has been excellent!
My 500 rounds of .40 Blaster arrived in Texas last Friday, 9 days after I ordered it online.

I went to the range and fired about 200 rounds of the .40 Blaster in a PT 640, PT740, Glock 22, and my new Ruger SR40C. I also fired about 200 rounds of other .40 ammo.

In ALL of the pistols, the .40 Blaster functioned flawlessly. It was no dirtier than any of the other .40 EXCEPT for the box of .40 Herter's (Cabela's - CCI) Blazer with the blue nylon jacketed bullets. The Herter's-Blazer was extremely clean.

As far as the "Grade B" status of the Blaster ammo, I could NOT find anything out of the ordinary such as tarnished or discolored cases to render it "Grade B". It looked NO DIFFERENT than my "first quality reloads".

I would have absolutely no qualms about purchasing the Freedom Blaster again in any caliber!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'm still waiting for my Lee Clasic Turret Press supposed to be in Tuesday of next week
I purchased a Case Tumbler this past Tuesday and just started cleaning and polishing 500 rds of 45 APC. cant wait!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts