Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rating06: So I just got back from the range with my new purchase. I bought a Gently used TCP 738 from armslist.com, Against my judgement I didn't shoot it first (time Restraints for the day) But I checked the gun over and it was really clean. the guy seemed to be legit when he said he only fired 100 rounds (Many comments made this guy seem Honest ) It came with 4 magazines, which was the main selling features I liked (good when practicing at the range) and he added some skate board like tape to the grip, I forgot what he called them (which helped alot I think).
I shot 212 rounds of Winchester 95 grain FMJ. I had at least 5 or more Failures to ejects(stopped counting), not even stove pipes, the just stuck in there, and took quite abit to get them out, the slide wouldnt lock back with the brass stuck in the gun, also the magazine was really hard to eject too with the brass stuck. I had at least two failure to fires, pull the trigger and nothing, I barely pulled the slide back to recock the gun then the round fired. I had a quite a few of the rounds smack me in the forehead, I also shot 12 round of Gold Dot HP at the end because that is what I will keep in it and one of the rounds ejected so hard it drew blood from my forehead. Not A lot but when I walked out of the range, I wiped my head and felt the dry blood spot.
The gun was cleaned and lubricated when I purchased it but I had time so I did it too before I went to the range. When I got to the range I loaded all 4 mags with the FMJ and went to chamber the first one round and it wouldnt feed, I thought it was because of the FMJ shape, or something wrong with the feed ramp, ejected the magazine and tried a different mag I had loaded and it happened with that one too. It eventually became easier to chamber the first round, Maybe it needs the break in period. I loaded two mags at the end of the session with the gold dot and it wouldn't chamber the first round and had one, maybe two FTE.
The trigger pull was fine, The magazine release was engaged by me quite a few time during shooting, which isn't good, instead of putting my thumb on top of my middle finger when gripping, it needs to go on the outside of it. I think I am going to get the pachymer grip glove for it. The sites are painted white but I think I am going to paint the front one bright orange for easy realignment cause it was hard for me to be accurate with it because the sights blended in with the target, etc. Hopefully this gun will "break in" so its reliable cause right now I do not trust it. I know its not a range gun but I need to get used to shooting it if Im going to carry it or even use it at the house if I have too. ( my only gun for now ) I need :) a few more guns ( range, home defense, plinking, etc. ) If it didn't have so many hiccups, Id like the gun alot more but its a good lil gun IMO or atleast I want it to be a good lil gun. Ill keep it loaded with with GOLD DOT in my nightstand till the next range trip. Any tips to make this gun better, please tell

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like you have the same problems i have had with mine. When i first got the gun (just over a month ago) i called taurus customer service and explained the problem to them. They offered me two free magazines to try to see if that was the cause of my problems. I still had the problems even with the two new magazines. I actually just shipped mine to taurus today for repair. Mine has all the same symptoms you listed.

I wonder if the previous owner was offered those two free magazines from taurus when he called them about the problems too. That makes since to me since you are having these problems and it happens to have four mags. He probably got fed up with it and just sold it. It has a lifetime warranty on it though so if i were you i would call taurus and arrange to have it shipped to them for repair. You shouldnt have to deal with these problems. Let them deal with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked him why he was selling it too and he told me he had other projects he wanted to do and he had two other 380s already. a bodyguard and a bersa that his wife likes to shoot. said his buddy is a FFL dealer so he gets a bunch of guns and trys to sell them. Because his buddy is a FFL dealer that is how he got the mags. I don't have another gun so I dont quite want to send it to Taurus yet but may do it when I go to hawaii since Ill be gone for most of the time the gun is gone. How long does everything take to get it ready to ship to them and how long till you get it back. I thought about selling it too but overall kind of like it. but not sure if Im gonna get shot with brass everytime I go to the range LOL

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Try different ammo.

Winchester white box doesn't cycle well in my TCP or PT111...so, I switched to Federal and it's been smooth sailing since.

Reactions: gajoe

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will. I was worried about the white box too but it was on sale for $30 a box at Fleet farm and I bought 4 boxes, But there isn't many 100 count or more ammo options up here in MN. Maybe Ill check gander Mountain next to see what they have. Even though i only shot two magazines of the GOLD DOT, it still had a hard time Chambering the first round Just like the first couple of mags with the white box ammo. I got Home, cleaned it and loaded it with the GOLD DOT and chambered a round and it seems like the Ammo doesn't slide up the Feed ramp rather it hits the feed ramp and is very noticeable forced action up into the chamber. It's not a very smooth. This is my first gun, Though I have shot many others, But never really paid attention to how the ammo is feed into the ramp. I am going to go to the LGS tomorrow and get some of those brushes and give it a real goooooood cleaning. See if I cant get something to polish the feed ramp, i read that works. I don't want to file the feed ramp down quite yet ( read in a dif forum) But I think that could Help. The feed ramp seems to be some what of a 'U' shape and towards the top, near the barrel it's not as wide as the rest of the feed ramp and I think if I smooth it out it could help it. I am going to take a picture and post it in a second. But I still don't know what to do about the casing smacking me in the forehead. I really felt the gold dot smack me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also this Loaded indicator seems to be junk and barely sticks out and IDK if the Red color is wore off but you can barely see it. I don't really care about the indicator, cause all guns are treated as loaded right;) Just a side note

1 - 7 of 7 Posts