Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I finally was able to get into a range to shoot the PT-111 Mil. that I bought the first week of November. Dang !! That's three months of chompin' at the bit. (The largest local indoor range is closed. The E.P.A. said "No" to the sale of the place.)
Anyway, I managed to get a lane at the old St. Petersburg Police range. And there I can rapid fire, which I did today for the first time ever with a semi auto, the PT-92.
First, the main reason I was there, the PT111. This was an "introductory" shoot, so I wasn't too worried about groups. The DAO trigger is totally new to me, so that's where my thoughts were. Just align the sights and "retract" the index finger. I noticed that the take-up was firm, then the last half seemed long, and lighter. Maybe I was expecting worse. The large front sight dot is much easier to see than the one on the PT-92.
I put 30 rds of W.W.B. though it. They mostly were Low n left in a sideways "V" from center towards seven o'clock. That's the same as with the PT92 and the PT908. I then put 20 rds of 124 gr H.P.s (G.S. Custom ammo, 124 gr @ 1200 fps) through it, followed by 10 rds of Speer G.D. (std load). All of the 124 gr rounds were much closer to, and around the aiming P.O.A. So this gun also likes the 124s. This will make ammo selection easier.
All in all, I am very pleased with this gun as I was told I would be. I see what the other owners mean when they talk of the natural balance in you hand. It just feels good. I even had no problem with controlling the additional impact impulse with this little bugger.

Today was a 9mm day, so I also took the PT-92 as mentioned. I almost choked when I checked it's Log Book. I remembered that it only has 1150 rounds through it, but the last I time I shot it was March, 2010. ( I've been preoccupied with my wheel guns.) It's Laserlyte battery needed replacing and I also got the "Zero" re-adjusted properly. If I was going to love a semi auto, the PT-92 would be it. I only put a few rounds through to re zero it. I put a magazine of 124 ball through it just because I like shooting it. It totally ate the rest of the black on the target. Then for fun, I took a felt marker, drew a circle of about 9 inches off to one side, (N.R.A. standard) and shot rapid-fire for one full mag. I forgot that I didn't need to watch the gun's sights at first. Then, I just watched the laser dot, and when it was back in my grouping area, I snapped off another round. Of those 17 rounds, only one was outside of the target area.
When I go to the range I bring markers of several colors. I mark each magazines' shoot, or today, load and gun. This way I can separate the holes for later analysis.
I am a happy camper. Now what am I going to do with my Beretta m84? The PT111 fills that niche and then some and it enables me to consolidate ammo types.

( Mods. As I proof read this, it occurred to me that this may belong in the Firing Line. --Thanks)

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for sharing your range report with us, and congratulations on FINALLY getting to shoot your MilPro PT111!

I have one and am really rather fond of the little tyke. :cool:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sounds like you enjoyed your range session, thanks for the report!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts