Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't make up my mind, I really want to take advantage of the weather tomorrow, low 70s and sunny, little wind and go out to the range, which is outdoors. My conundrum is that my ammo supply is fairly low, I currently have 300 rounds of 9mm range ammo, 100 of .40 range ammo, 50 each of 9mm Gold Dots and PDX1, 50 of .40 Winchester Bonded 180gr .40. I love shooting my new M&P9c and I feel like it is still in the breaking in stage, I was thinking about getting up early and hitting 2 local Walmarts and 2 Academies looking for 9mm ammo, and if not then going out and shooting 2 of the 100 round Federal Champion Walmart value packs I have. No self defense ammo at all and no .40. This will leave me at 100 of 9mm FMJ, 100 of SD ammo that I carry daily and my .40 supply unchanged. Conversely, I'm thinking if I can score some .40 I might go out shoot my 740.

In short, it's simple: I really want to go shooting but my ammo supply will be very low if I do and obviously supplies are hard to come by these days. So what should I do?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Buy a .22lr pistol. Warm up on inexpensive .22 to work out any kinks in shooting technique, then transition to center fire. Even though reloading gives me an on-demand supply of center fire ammo, I still bring a .22lr to the range. 550 round brick of .22lr = guilt free range time.

IMO, go out and shoot. Weather is nice, you have ammo, and life is too short. Shoot the range ammo, and save the premium ammo for defense.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Personally, I'd hold on to what little ammo you have...just in case circumstances dictate that you really need to use it; at least until the ammo shortage is over.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yeah - that is ammo lite IMHO. shoot with cautious reserve!!!!

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
I'll play devil's advocate here.
In a SHTF event, how many effective shots do you REALLY think you can get off before you're put out of action by flash-bangs, tear gas and 5.56 rounds tearing through every room of your house?

Now, take that number and multiply it by two: that's how many EFFECTIVE rounds you'll get off if you practice diligently.

Go to the range and shoot!

·
Registered
40 Posts
My situation is worse. I want to practice but only have 50 range 9mm and 50 jhp. Only fired 200 through my 809. Can't find any ammo at all. This is getting on my nerves

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
BCM, maybe I'm confusing you with another, but aren't you in the Dallas area? Good luck finding anything, including .22, at WalMart or Academy.
I had to drive to McKinney yesterday to get 9mm.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I've got ammo marked from the last election scare. I keep a habit of buying more than I shoot and I started reloading last year. As soon as an AWB was discussed I upped my buying (reloading supplies and rounds that I do not reload) to a much higher level. I shoot an average of two sanctioned pistolmatches a month ( as well as other multi gun) so the ability to be ready for those is important. That alone is 3-400 rounds of specific rounds per month PLUS practice. Right now I'm still buying more than I shoot but it has gotten a lot tougher. I can buy small rifle primers pretty easily (223) but small pistol and 9mm bullets are close to universally out of stock. I am able to pre buy my competition bullets but the shipments have to arrive for that to work...

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I currently have 300 rounds of 9mm range ammo, 100 of .40 range ammo, 50 each of 9mm Gold Dots and PDX1, 50 of .40 Winchester Bonded 180gr .40. I love shooting my new M&P9c and I feel like it is still in the breaking in stage, I was thinking about getting up early and hitting 2 local Walmarts and 2 Academies looking for 9mm ammo, and if not then going out and shooting 2 of the 100 round Federal Champion Walmart value packs I have.

In short, it's simple: I really want to go shooting but my ammo supply will be very low if I do and obviously supplies are hard to come by these days. So what should I do?
If you can find more ammo, shoot! If you can't find more ammo, put 100 rounds more through your new M&P then stop.

If you can't put up the money for a .22 pistol right now, and find the ammo, then a inexpensive C02 BB pistol would allow some fun time at your home.

Smith & Wesson Smith & Wesson M&P, Black. Air guns - PyramydAir.com

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If you can find more ammo, shoot! If you can't find more ammo, put 100 rounds more through your new M&P then stop.

If you can't put up the money for a .22 pistol right now, and find the ammo, then a inexpensive C02 BB pistol would allow some fun time at your home.

Smith & Wesson Smith & Wesson M&P, Black. Air guns - PyramydAir.com
You should see my M4CQBR "reerreewreewr".

I'm not going to go shoot this weekend, I need to beef up the inventory first, also the weather isn't as was predicted and I think I'm getting a cold.

I actually do own an NBCR suit as well as several dozen N95 masks, no I am not kidding. But other than ammo and tuna that is as prepper as I get.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Consider dry firing or a inexpensive co2 pistol, you need to practice, practice, practice, because SHTF is coming

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Having the same issue.. I actually do have 650 rounds of my 9mm, but have 2 people that want me to teach them how to shoot. That is great and all, but until I can find some more, I'm not willing to give up what I have! I've told both of them to be on the lookout, and if they find some, we're good to go. No luck so far

1 - 14 of 14 Posts