Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to pattern my new 12 gauge shotgun last week with several buckshot loads. And function test it since I got it for home defense. Got to the range, they asked to see my ammo, I hand them my bag of ammo & they went through it. And said I can only shoot the slugs. No birdshot, no buckshot. I said ok, shot 10 shells, paid them & went home. Normally I would ask them why buckshot isn't allowed but this place sometimes takes that as a challenge & will get an attitude or ask you to leave. I've seen that happen a few times there. Anyone know why buckshot isn't allowed? Is that common with indoor ranges? I live in the suburbs so I can't pattern it in my backyard.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Do you have any outdoor ranges in your area? You might see if your state conservation department has any nearby or check at local gun shops to see if they can recommend any.
Your indoor range probably has rules in place to prevent damage, but if they cop an attitude like you mentioned, I'd be looking for a new range anyway.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
My outdoor range won't allow birdshot or target loads except for skeet....if you shoot it at targets it must be buckshot or slugs.
I don't understand why...slugs and buckshot do more damage to target stands than birdshot will.
I can only assume on an indoor range the pattern spread may be more prone to ricochet.

·
8,395 Posts
When I used to shoot at an indoor range in Houston (topgun) same story. Probably concerned about recoil control and buckshot spread causing damage or hits on someone else's target.

·
Super Moderator
35,681 Posts
Last time there with the Maverick at Fox Valley Shooting Range (indoor) 00 buck and slugs were permitted. Haven't checked recently, but would like to get it back out there.

Reactions: Jim_Nazium

·
Super Moderator
35,009 Posts
We used to have a no shotguns on targets rule in our club which I no longer belong to. The shot loads tore up the target backing which we made from particle board and wasn't cheap, No problem for me now. I have my own range. :D

·
Registered
36,084 Posts
MY range doesn't allow shotguns at all, doesn't matter what type of shot!
reason--#1 those with tactical short stocked/barreled or grips generally can't shoot, #2- shot destroys the equipment--that stuff is not cheap--additionally a well designed indoor range will devert any missed shots that hit something hard down range, with multiple pellets that just makes it more dangerous. all thats fine with me as i am safety oriented. next tiem that you are at your indoor range look around at the holes/scars from bullets along the walls, in the ceiling etc and imagine being in the range with those people and a shotgun firing.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The club I belong to only allows shotguns in the tactical bays or the shotgun field for shooting clays, if You want to pattern Your shotgun You have to bring a free standing target stand a large piece of carboard and targets.
The reason for this is that there is always an idiot(s) who wants to see how big of a hole they can make with their shotgun on the brand new backer boards on the pistol range so instead of lasting a few weeks the boards would have to be replaced within a few days.
They can shoot slugs on the pistol and rifle ranges but no shot.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I would think it may depend upon whether the shot is steel or lead. Not sure. But steel shot will mess up a metal target or metal target back. Just a gess.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
My range allows buckshot 00 and larger (which I guess just means 00 and 000) as well as slugs. I never thought to ask why. I was just surprised they allowed shotguns at all--so much so I bought two of them and hope to get to the range soon. Unfortunately it was closed last week because of a Covid issue.

I assume ricochet is only a problem at French ranges!

·
Registered
134 Posts
our local indoor range will not allow bird or buckshot because people are always blowing out the overhead lighting with stray pellets , despite the lights are behind bullet proof baffles . as olfarhors said --- indoor rental ranges
are scary places ------------

·
Registered
555 Posts
Wanted to pattern my new 12 gauge shotgun last week with several buckshot loads. And function test it since I got it for home defense. Got to the range, they asked to see my ammo, I hand them my bag of ammo & they went through it. And said I can only shoot the slugs. No birdshot, no buckshot. I said ok, shot 10 shells, paid them & went home. Normally I would ask them why buckshot isn't allowed but this place sometimes takes that as a challenge & will get an attitude or ask you to leave. I've seen that happen a few times there. Anyone know why buckshot isn't allowed? Is that common with indoor ranges? I live in the suburbs so I can't pattern it in my backyard.
My club has an outdoor shotgun "wall" made from treated logs separate from the rifle range. My guess would be that birdshot or buckshot may damage the target frames or mechanisms. If you are shooting indoor there is also the potential for a stray ricochet depending on what background you are shooting into.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
At our outdoor range in Punta Gorda they have 1 lane open for patterning shotguns. It's slugs on all the other lanes except on the skeet range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts