Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while at a local indoor range that I shoot at we ran into a fellow that kept sweeping up our spent brass and throwing it into the bucket. I didn't see it at first but my wife did. So I asked the gentlemen to please stop that as I pick up my brass for reloading.

He then goes on to start telling me that we are not allowed to pick up our range brass anymore because of some new OSHA regulation and that the other range on the other side of town was just busted with thousand dollar fines going to both the range, the shooter and anyone else that was present for not reporting it. Somehow I do not believe this and believe it to be BS.

BTW this was in Illinois so who knows maybe it is true! Anyone know the truth?

·
Administrator
35,567 Posts
I was told once that I couldn't pick up my brass and I told them I'll not be coming back. And I didn't. Here, in Texas, it's rare to have somebody tell you to not pick up your brass. I'd say that anybody that does that has some kind of deal worked out with a brass reseller and is being greedy. Check around and see if he was telling the truth, or if he was lying.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
No idea if it is an OSHA regulation however if it is true you can search the OSHA website for the other shop to see if they have a violation. It is public record. PM me the name of the other range and I will try to look it up for you if you can't find it.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
That is a range that I would not go to...but again, you said that you are in Illinois - there may just not be any other ranges available...(start looking for a couple of acres outside of town somewhere!)

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just finished emailing 3 other ranges in my general area including the one this gent was talking about and asked them what their range policy was on picking up spent brass as none seem to address this in the range rules that are posted online.

Fish I will send you a PM with details.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
My brass is my brass. I have no idea how OSHA would even enter into it.
Anyone that has tried that with me got my ‘theft by conversion’ talk and a heads-up that my next step was a 911 call to get the police involved. If they sold once fired brass in the shop - they would most likely be looking at a felony. Punishment varies by state/district but jail and fines are usually both possibilities.

“Theft by conversion occurs when a person obtains possession to the personal property or funds of another, and then converts the property into funds for their own use and without the person's permission.”

Just simple theft will put them on their heels. Giving or trading brass with other shooters will turn these guys purple.

I have not not been to an indoor range in years. I get a lot of nice pick-up brass at my current club. Thank you to those who have shot before me!!!

·
Super Moderator
37,235 Posts
I was at On Target recently and saw a newer sign that I had not noticed the last time (it had been 2 months since the last) and that sign advised to pick up one's own brass only. Since I always ask is a neighboring shooter is going to save their brass and they offer it to me, I consider that to be my brass also. Interested in seeing the responses from the ranges.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I usually inform the Range Master before I start shooting that I will be picking up my brass. Sort of ends any argument before it starts.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I was at On Target recently and saw a newer sign that I had not noticed the last time (it had been 2 months since the last) and that sign advised to pick up one's own brass only. Since I always ask is a neighboring shooter is going to save their brass and they offer it to me, I consider that to be my brass also. Interested in seeing the responses from the ranges.
Yeah - I went to a range for a while that had a ‘culture’ where shooters openly asked if others were going to keep their brass. If it was offered to them they would clean up the booth in exchange for the favor. If timing was bad the shooter would often bring it to them. With big thank yous all around.

Nice place. But as I moved up the ‘no rapid fire’, drills of any kind etc. got to me and I moved on. A+ on the range though and there was usually a line - a testimony to what good karma can do!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Any indoor range I've been in only allows you to shoot factory brass cased ammo and has their own sweepers. You're not allowed to pick up brass. They sell it by the pound in 55gallon drums.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My brass is my brass. I have no idea how OSHA would even enter into it.
Anyone that has tried that with me got my ‘theft by conversion’ talk and a heads-up that my next step was a 911 call to get the police involved. If they sold once fired brass in the shop - they would most likely be looking at a felony. Punishment varies by state/district but jail and fines are usually both possibilities.

“Theft by conversion occurs when a person obtains possession to the personal property or funds of another, and then converts the property into funds for their own use and without the person's permission.”

Just simple theft will put them on their heels. Giving or trading brass with other shooters will turn these guys purple.

I have not not been to an indoor range in years. I get a lot of nice pick-up brass at my current club. Thank you to those who have shot before me!!!

Have you discussed this with a prosecutor? Could they claim that the ejected brass was your discard and since you threw it away on their property it was now theirs? How do you identify your specific brass from someone else's?

I'm not trying to argue, just learn. I use a brass catcher when I want to save my brass so I've not encountered this problem.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Have you discussed this with a prosecutor? Could they claim that the ejected brass was your discard and since you threw it away on their property it was now theirs? How do you identify your specific brass from someone else's?

I'm not trying to argue, just learn. I use a brass catcher when I want to save my brass so I've not encountered this problem.
Just my personal take on your question...if a person drops cash on their floor do they get to keep it.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
The Wildlife range just started working at lets the shooters pick up their own brass but if the concrete pad the shooting benches are on gets cluttered the RSO will sweep it up when the range goes cold. We have probably 10 five gallon buckets full as of yesterday but the people in Raleigh will come and take it away to be sold as scrap metal. It is not a income or environmental thing as much as it is a safety precaution. People not watching their footing can step on it and take a spill. Not a good thing on a shooting range.

Reactions: kmw1954

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Today while at a local indoor range that I shoot at we ran into a fellow that kept sweeping up our spent brass and throwing it into the bucket. I didn't see it at first but my wife did. So I asked the gentlemen to please stop that as I pick up my brass for reloading.

He then goes on to start telling me that we are not allowed to pick up our range brass anymore because of some new OSHA regulation and that the other range on the other side of town was just busted with thousand dollar fines going to both the range, the shooter and anyone else that was present for not reporting it. Somehow I do not believe this and believe it to be BS.

BTW this was in Illinois so who knows maybe it is true! Anyone know the truth?
I would have just continued shooting, then when I was done I would have picked up the bucket of brass and headed out the door.
NOW lets discuss this policy that your man said that you had.

·
Super Moderator
37,235 Posts
If that is indeed the policy going forward at that range I will henceforth only bring revolvers and 22's to shoot there..let them try and keep my revolver brass.

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
I would have packed up right then and there, walked to the counter and demanded my unused range time money back, Then explain why you were leaving. I don't care at that point if they said it wasn't company policy or not. A person acting as a representative of their range scalded you about reclaiming your property and you were done at that moment. I would also inform them that this will be mentioned all over the internet with you naming names. You have ONE chance to make a first impression and the first impression they left was to lie and steal your property.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts