Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a range bag which will do everything. Carrying two hard cases and a separate range bag is getting old, especially if I'm going alone.

I am looking for something which will
  • Two padded pistol compartments (not removable gun rugs)
  • Magazine loops to avoid them knocking into each other
  • Space for perhaps a 250 round pack of 9 mm and a brick of .22LR
  • Space for a small tool/cleaning kit, a few rags, a pair of ear muffs
I've found a few I like, but they're not quite perfect yet.
Does anybody own any of these? Any recommendations? Thank you!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
How about going up to the next size midway bag
Competition Range Bag

Not too much bigger as you can see in the video at their site and it holds a lot of stuff.
Your range supply will grow with time.
If you sign up for midways email alerts and specials you will receive daily emails with codes for 10% off your purchase up to $500.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I use a Swiss Army backpack from Target, and an ammo can.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
I have the Midway USA Competition range bag.
There are four exterior zipper pockets, large enough and well enough padded that I can strore a pistol in each of them - although I reserve one for a first aid kit.
Take out the gun rugs and the caddy and the interior is pretty darned big. When my kids and I were going to an outdoor range, I packed it with ammo for three of my guns and the earmuffs, safety glasses, etc. It has seven or eight magazine loops as I recall.
By then, the bag was so heavy I eventually had to invest in a collapsible two-wheeler to move it from my apartment to my car and from my car to the shooting stand.
The thing is toughly built and I doubt I could ever wear it out.

However, when I'm going to the range alone I can pack two guns plus ammo and safety equipment into a canvas carry case made for a laptop computer.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I'm looking for a range bag which will do everything. Carrying two hard cases and a separate range bag is getting old, especially if I'm going alone.

I am looking for something which will
  • Two padded pistol compartments (not removable gun rugs)
  • Magazine loops to avoid them knocking into each other
  • Space for perhaps a 250 round pack of 9 mm and a brick of .22LR
  • Space for a small tool/cleaning kit, a few rags, a pair of ear muffs
I've found a few I like, but they're not quite perfect yet.
Does anybody own any of these? Any recommendations? Thank you!
I use the first item listed, the Gunmate bag. I've had it for about a year and a half and it's held up perfectly. I was surprised how well it's built. It holds two guns, up to 6 boxes of .38 and 400 rounds of .22 in the center compartment. I use one end compartment for ear muffs and a few odd items like magazine loader. The other end compartment holds my shooting glasses, a screwdriver kit, a staple gun, a monocular, and a zippered pouch of small items.

I prefer removable gun rugs. They get dirty and it's easier to wipe them down, plus they'd be replaceable in some fashion. I mostly shoot revolvers, so the lack of magazine loops isn't a big deal, but when I do take autos a separate pouch that lays flat across the top of all the rest of the stuff in the bag if I feel the need. Outside of occasional testing to be sure they all work, I don't take all my mags every time. Who wants to clean all those. I just rotate my magazine.

Like 4 Pistol Mag Storage Pouch Nylon
and 5 Mag Storage Pouch 22 Long Rifle Pistol Mags Nylon

The dividers have stayed in place, but as I described it above this bag is completely full. But it works for me, as I only rarely shoot more than two guns per trip. If I take a third it's usually the TCP which will stash just about anywhere.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I have 2 MidwayUSA bags the large and the small. Excellent bags in my opinion and when on sale a really good deal.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I just grabbed a $10 duffel bag from Walmart about a year and a half ago. Serves me well, packs up everything i need and then some. If i put pistols in the bag, i just unload and holster them. But most of the time i just stuff them in the case with my rifles or i have them on me.

·
Registered
253 Posts
sportsmansguide and cheaperthandirt have low priced stuff.... 5-11 has higher priced stuff

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've got the same UTG bag. Had it for about a month so I've only had one range trip with it but it worked great. Held my 24/7, revolver, and all the ammo I had too

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! I knew I could count on this community for good advise.

I'm currently using a small sports bag that was lying around. It holds my ammo, tools, a few rags and my wife's earmuffs (I use ear plugs). It just doesn't hold our two firearms (thus the hard cases).

I like the Midway bags, but I don't like their current prices, and shipping is really expensive!

Glenwolde: How's the botton of the GunMate? Some reviews say it sags when you load it unevenly. Is that a problem? Are the gun rugs provided for two magazines (none in the pistol)?

txbass06: Are the pistol pockets padded, or do you need a gun rug? Are the exterior magazine pockets too big for pistol magazines? They are supposed to be for 30 round M-16 type magazines. Big enough for general purpose use?

·
Super Moderator
37,002 Posts
How about going up to the next size midway bag
Competition Range Bag

Not too much bigger as you can see in the video at their site and it holds a lot of stuff.
Your range supply will grow with time.
If you sign up for midways email alerts and specials you will receive daily emails with codes for 10% off your purchase up to $500.
This is the one I replaced my low quality knapsack with when I blew a hole through it (wear and tear, not an ND). The gun rugs are a nice addition and I use them to move my pistols to the "safe area" at matches, but you can set them aside if you don't want to use them. The do keep your pistols separate and I'll keep my SD loaded mag adjacent to them for quick response as we are unable to transport cocked and locked in the USS of Illinois. The design of the bag includes a fairly stiff bottom and with that and the various compartments means that the load stays fairly well distributed and won't sag the bag in the middle. It also comes with a shoulder strap. They could really put it over the top if they designed pack straps for both arms so that one could transport it on their back.

·
Super Moderator
37,002 Posts
I like the Midway bags, but I don't like their current prices, and shipping is really expensive!
If you frequent a range where there are a lot of shooters you may get to see the quality of the Midway bag. To my thinking it would retail for over 60-70 dollars....it's that good.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I have the Midway USA Competition range bag.
There are four exterior zipper pockets, large enough and well enough padded that I can strore a pistol in each of them - although I reserve one for a first aid kit.
Take out the gun rugs and the caddy and the interior is pretty darned big. When my kids and I were going to an outdoor range, I packed it with ammo for three of my guns and the earmuffs, safety glasses, etc. It has seven or eight magazine loops as I recall.
By then, the bag was so heavy I eventually had to invest in a collapsible two-wheeler to move it from my apartment to my car and from my car to the shooting stand.
The thing is toughly built and I doubt I could ever wear it out.

However, when I'm going to the range alone I can pack two guns plus ammo and safety equipment into a canvas carry case made for a laptop computer.
I also have the Midway bag. You can definitely pack so much in it that It gets too heavy to carry for any amount of time. It has room for 3 pairs of muffs, 3 pairs of glasses, in the end pockets. The small pockets on the front, I keep some cleaning items in one side, and a notepad and markers and bullseye stickers in the other. In the main part, I have a small first aid kit, some wooden dowels for plugged barrels, and some binder clips for targets. You can usually put two guns in each gun pouch, and enough ammo to fill a 50 cal can. My wife got it on sale at Midway for $39 I believe. Great bag. Plus the little brass pouch is great for brass collecting.

·
Registered
251 Posts
txbass06: Are the pistol pockets padded, or do you need a gun rug? Are the exterior magazine pockets too big for pistol magazines? They are supposed to be for 30 round M-16 type magazines. Big enough for general purpose use?
You don't "need" a gun rug, but I had a couple laying around so I used them. And the magazine pockets are a little deep, but there's enough room to double stack them in there and it works just fine for me.
I loaded the bottom with all my ammo (probably 1,000 rounds combined) had my 1911 and Ruger Blackhawk in the pistol pockets, and my 24/7 in the case in top of the ammo. Still had a good bit of room for cleaning supplies, ear muffs, tools or whatever.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Two words..."Wal-Mart" bags. :icon_ rasta:

Discuss....
:icon_ devil:
I also have one of their Winchester "Shooter Bags" that I kept all my cleaning stuff in. Seems to be of decent quality and should hold up for a little while

1 - 20 of 27 Posts