Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Range Bag/Gear threads?

4K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  vonzipper 
#1 ·
I did some quick searching and didn't come up with much of anything. I'm in the market for a decent range bag and some new glasses. For the glasses, I think I'd like to keep three pair (clear, amber and smoke) in my bag to try in different lighting conditions. Anyone have some budget glasses that get the job done. As for the bag, that's a little trickier since everyone probably heads to the range with a different list of what they think they need for the trip. I'd like something that will be big enough to accommodate 3 medium to large frame handguns (in soft zipepred cases/rugs), 300-400 rounds of ammo, my muffs and my glasses, at a minimum. A little more room for a small tool kit and some basic cleaning supplies would be a good idea too.

Any suggestions on a bag you like that might fit my needs? If there's an area in the forum that covers gear and I missed it, please point me in that direction. If there isn't one, does anyone else think that maybe there should be? I supposed The Firing Line are works well enough...

Thanks!

#3 ·
I have a small range bag for gun games and quick trips.

BAG-225 - Leapers UTG Tactical Organizer Bag Black Quick Release Buckle Metal Zippers Adjustable Straps

I know it can fit a pt1911 a pt92 and a pt111 with 100 rounds for each. glasses I wear muffs I wrap around the strap, targets or pasters I carry.

Lately I have been putting 300 rounds a notebook and a small cleaning kit with a leatherman for my gun games. Everything else I wear to and from the range including mags and pistol.

I also have a larger bag to carry the whole lot.

3-0635343 - Uncle Mike's Tactical Rifle Assault Bag Coyote 36" something similar to this although mine's a condor

Carries my rifle in the main pouch. pt1911 and pt92 in the inner pockets. mags in the outer pouches and throw ammo in a 50 cal can.

#14 ·
I have a small range bag for gun games and quick trips.

BAG-225 - Leapers UTG Tactical Organizer Bag Black Quick Release Buckle Metal Zippers Adjustable Straps

I know it can fit a pt1911 a pt92 and a pt111 with 100 rounds for each. glasses I wear muffs I wrap around the strap, targets or pasters I carry.

Lately I have been putting 300 rounds a notebook and a small cleaning kit with a leatherman for my gun games. Everything else I wear to and from the range including mags and pistol...
I'd been eyeballing this bag for a bit and pulled the trigger based on your recommendation. Thanks for your input!:)

#4 ·
Name brand bags I can't help you. What I did was go to the Army Navy surplus stores, I was looking for some ammo boxs, which I found, but I also picked up several different bags, that could easily be used as a range bag. I found both black and OD green. They had several different size and shape bags, some would easily accommodate more handguns than listed.

As far as glasses go, Walmart, Not sure if they stock the same stuff everywhere but here they have Winchester shooting glasses in Amber, Clear and Smoke for about 9 bucks a piece.

The tool bag is a great idea as well, there are many different tool bags available, especially the ones made to carry battery operated tools and the like. I should have thought of that. I have however used an old toolbox to transport ammo, worked nicely.

Reactions: Lommerse33
#6 ·
#7 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and recommendations. I bought an $8 tool box with a top tray at HD not long ago thinking I might go the "range box" route instead of the "range bag" route, but I quickly filled it with ammo and it because an "ammo box" instead. It works well for that though... A soft sided "tool bag" is a good idea. I really don't need a fancy bag with lots of specialized padded compartments and whatnot. I'll keep researching and I'll post any good online resources I find here for all to enjoy.

#8 ·
#9 ·
CNC, that's exactly what I had in mind when I mentioned a "soft sided tool bag". The upside is that if I buy one and don't like it for the range, I've got a new tool bag! I've got to go to Lowe's tonight after work so I'll see if they have something at a similar price point.

Reactions: CNCSC
#10 ·
Did I mention that the smaller one will fit in the other? So if I am going to the range with only one or two pistols then I have room to carry both bags in one? I also have a light weight, fold-up hand truck that I use to carry on days when I am carrying a lot of ammo.

I am talking way to much about a 17$ tool bag but it works great.

#11 ·
CNC, I'm Dutch and I married a Polish girl, so I LOVE a good bargain! It's in my blood!

#16 ·
#19 ·
Midway range bag is what I would recommend I use a Sig bag that is similar but a bit smaller that a friend gave me after getting the Midway bag. The internal bag holds two handguns and ammo. This is by far one of the best bags I have seen. And if I did not have a few good quality bags I would own one. You can find reviews on you Tube.
Good luck.

Competition Range Bag

Reactions: MisterNoisy
#20 · (Edited)
Recently picked up the MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag, and would highly recommend it. If I'm going to the range to shoot handguns only (typically that involves 3 handguns and 300-400 rounds of ammo), it's the only bag I need and I've got tons of room to spare. Multiple people have asked me where I got it and their jaws drop when I tell them it was less than $40 (I got it on sale).

#22 ·
My range bag is falling apart - couple of zippers are broke and the interior is falling apart. Probably should look at some of the choices available in this thread.......

#23 ·
I had my UTG bag stolen out of my truck at work last week. Luckily there wasn't anything important/expensive in there. So now I'm using a cheap Winchester bag from Wally world. It does the job holding the small stuff and handgun ammo but I picked up a 2nd one for all my cleaning stuff and they're not too bad

#27 ·
Good point. I have an expensive Assault Gear bag that I use for competition. But I also have a wally world bag I use when I'm just going out plinking. Keeps me from having to repack.

#24 ·
#25 ·
I love it when one of my threads gets "HOT"! It makes me feel like a legitimate contributor. And I could not have done it without help from all of you!

Anyway... I did get on youtube and check out a couple reviews... It was great for getting a feel for how they all look inside since the online catalog pics never show you anything but the outside.

I saw a decent tool bag at Lowe's last night but I'm still undecided. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Mad: How are you liking this weather, eh? No one appreciates nice weather quite like someone who's lived in Michigan all their life!

#28 · (Edited)
No rant, just some common sense facts in today's tough enconomy.

There are tons of reasonably priced utillity bags and tool boxes being sold from Sears to Home Depot to Wally World.

Why anybody would wanna go to one of the "Tactical" websites and pay $100-$200 for a utility container they can buy for $35 is beyond what my meager brain cells can comprehend.

After all, we're going to the range and home, not recreating the "Bay of Pigs" invasion or fast roping into Afghanistan.

But that's just my bolony-budget talking...

#29 ·
There are many dedicated range bags in the $35-$80 range - and they include between 2-4 padded sleeves/rugs. If you add rugs to your tool bag, you're going to wind up spending more than you would for a reasonable range bag.

#30 ·
I just use a $10 duffel bag i got from Walmart. Holds everything i need and then some.

#34 ·
I actually recently unearthed an old laptop bag I had from a few years ago -- you know, before the ipads and netbooks took over. The thing is massive. It has a large main compartment with a soft divider in the middle, which is great for a pistol + a few sets of eyes and ears. It can carry a bunch of ammo in the back compartment (haven't tried filling it yet to see how much), and targets in one of several spots. My range bag also contains markers and pens, and sometimes a staplegun depending on where I'm heading to shoot. I always have at least one of the pistols I will be shooting somewhere else on my person.

The bag came from Wally World and probably cost no more than $20 at the time, but it has a big, padded shoulder strap as well as handles for carrying it like a briefcase. The very outside layer is pleather, but that won't matter much until I start gluing little pieces back in place or tearing them off completely.

My point - go dig in your closet and take a close look at all your old luggage, backpacks, briefcases, and the like. You may have the perfect bag and not even realize it.

Reactions: Plano Mark
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.