Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got the details of a range accident today, the difference is it is someonebody i know well, and live only a mile away from... the daughter of an auxilary policeman, and both parents have ccw permits.

her husband bought a new h&k (so quality isn't an issue), and was demonstrating it to his wife, who then shot it, in the transfer back to her husband she was shot accidentally. she almost bled out at the range before transport (life flight) arrived.

then two days after hearing about this i take my AR-15 out of the case cycle the action and out pops a live round. luckily i was obeying the other safety rules, safety always on, and always treat a gun as loaded, etc. but to this day i still can't recall how it made it all the way into my gun vault, spent 2 months there and then returned to the range w/ a round in it. it flat out scared the crap out of me when that round plinked out on the bench.

the moral of this story? mistakes/human error still happen no matter how careful we are, and it sure gave me a wake up call to always double check my firearms that i think are empty, i handled that gun gun several times between range sessions, including changing the scope. the biggest single difference is i was in a hurry when i left the range and did not clean the gun immediately, my wife was mad because dinner was on the table and i wasn't there as promised, and i knew she would be very unforgiving because she knew where i was, and had no legitimate excuse.

the same holds true about the range accident. the injured party had allot of respect and knowledge about guns, they had been in her home her whole life, but several errors were made that will forever change her families life.

just wanted to share this to maybe help someone else, when my first child was born to me at age 37, a similar post made me realize how unsafe my home was as far as children and guns. GOD bless and have a great day.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
That's a sad, sad situation. I hope that she comes out OK on this and no one is permanently injured.

That should highlight one of the golden rules though ... never ever point the gun (loaded or unloaded) at anything you don't intend to shoot.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That is very unfortunate, and I hope she recovers from it fully and without any permanent damage.

Reminds me of an accident my step-father had with one of his back up guns. He is a retired police officer of 22 years, and he was in year 17 when he met my mother. He worked nights, and always carried a revolver in his vest and boot along with his sidearm. He was the arms instructor, so you can imagine the quality of pistols he carried. I honestly can't remember, but I believe his two revolvers were S&W something something.

Anyway, his standard routine when he got home in the morning was to disarm and remove the ammo from his firearms. Every day he would count each bullet, and carefully place them into his lock box.

Well this particular morning, he did not. For whatever reason, he emptied his vest revolver and did not count the bullets. Now normally he would ease the cylinder back into place to avoid a misfire.....this time he slammed it shut.

A round did not properly eject when he dumped it, and discharged when he slammed it home. Luckily no one was standing in front of him, but the bullet went straight through the window and into our lawn. He was even more lucky that he had the pistol at lower ready, because there's a busy road in front of our house.

The first time he had EVER not counted the rounds, and the first time he had EVER had a failure to eject from the cylinder.

The combination of those two things, plus slamming the cylinder home, could have made for a very miserable existence. Needless to say, he has never been in that much of a hurry, ever again. This was never mentioned to anyone outside the family, for obvious reasons. The arms instructor having an accidental discharge because he was in a hurry and careless.

Always double count, always triple check, and always always always aim a firearm in a direction where it will not cause any harm to anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unfortunately, accidents always seem to happen whatever the situation...firearms, driving, flying...and there's always more than one victim.

1. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
2. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
3. Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

Bob

·
Registered
276 Posts
Other rules...

Put down the triple bacon cheeseburger before pulling the triger.
Pull your pants up from around your ankles before pulling the trigger.
Don't make out with your significant other while holding a loaded gun ready to fire.
Don't place your loaded gun in the oven when pulling out your baked chicken.

;D

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Do we dare ask which of these you're guilty of? Or is it all? :judge: :devil:

And you forgot to turn your hat bill back to the front so you don't get brass in your face.

Steelheart

·
32,481 Posts
One of my favorites is the 25 year old at the time guy who used a .25ACP SA pocket semi-auto to drive a tack into a wall. Gun went off of course being loaded and one in the chamber. Shot passed through his arm and then the bullet got his pregnant wife.

She nearly did not make it.
What made him think this was a good idea? He was sober or nor high on something at the tiime.
This goes along with the 3 Darwin Award Russian civilians a few years back who got drunk, pulled out a WWII surplus anti-tank mine, and proceeded to jump up and down on it to "get it to work". It did and they are no longer with us. If you see dust passing by it could be them.

Safety is a, pardon the pun, deadly serious business. Then again, newbies, old vets, and old timers just need a moment's lapse of memory and potential tragedy can strike.

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
the 3 Darwin Award Russian civilians a few years back who got drunk, pulled out a WWII surplus anti-tank mine, and proceeded to jump up and down on it to "get it to work". It did and they are no longer with us. If you see dust passing by it could be them.
ROFLMAO!!! :D

Getting back to the Safety Issue, the Rules "Treat every gun as if it were Loaded", cause it might just be, and "Keep your Finger off of the Trigger until you are ready to fire", and "Keep Firearms pointed in Safe Direction during handling" should keep most out of trouble, if religously adhered to!

My Fav Dumb Crooks are:

1.) Crook Robs Taxi-Cab and places pistol into front of pants with his finger still on trigger. Bullet ran down his leg. Taxi driver called the Ambulance and the Police.

2.) Crook tries to rob Convenience Store and when the Manager refuses to hand over Money, the Crooks Gun goes Click and does not fire. Crook then tries to rob Gas Station and the Gas Station's Staff run out the back door. Crook tries to shoot them and again the Gun just goes Click. Crook heads to alley to check out his Gun, looks down the Barrel and pulls the Trigger. This time it went off!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hope she's doing ok. Glad you're ok. Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes we get so good at things that they are automatic. So automatic that we can't remember if we just did something. Yours is a great example. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts