Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plated HP with the concave base. I think I bought them with the reports of greater accuracy due to the longer profile. I loaded a few back 2-3 years ago and wasn't impressed. Now that I have run out of the PRN 124 grain that I've been shooting since I began loading 9mm, I am going to give these a run once more.

The COAL that the PRN were running were at 1.158" while the HP are setting deeper with a 1.088" COAL. Same charge of HP 38, light enough so there's no risk of a compressed loading. I have to figure that the pointy nose of the RN has something to do with the seating depth. Holding off on running more than a box to see how they run in terms of accuracy.

·
Administrator
35,295 Posts
If you weren't impressed with the first run, you might want to change up some things in your second run, maybe switch to HS-6 or some other powder, see if it improves anything or not. Just a thought. ;)

·
Registered
36,318 Posts
well I started using the extreme 124 gr hollow point back when we had the monthly competition in an attempt to keep up with Mingaa and 88Keys.
I started by loading it in the 38 Super, I also load the 9 MM now but would need to go down to the lab-or-a-tory and get the load data.
but it has proven to be a very good projectile for me and I THINK it might be ever so slightly more acurate than the 115 in my pistolas.
I use accurate #5 and HS-6 to load my 9 MM and 38 Supers with this projectile.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
My friend I know you use a lot of HP-38 in just about everything. Since I've kind of landed on Ramshot Silhouette I still have some AA#5 I could let you have to try with these bullets if you'd like. Just LMK!

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
36,318 Posts
My friend I know you use a lot of HP-38 in just about everything. Since I've kind of landed on Ramshot Silhouette I still have some AA#5 I could let you have to try with these bullets if you'd like. Just LMK!
Hey I would Love to try some!!
Can you send me say maybe 4-5 pounds of Accurate #5, you know so I can try it in a couple different projectiles???
I have been reading about this HS-6 as well , can you send me some of that as well , If you have any???
Ur Friend Ole!!!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Hey I would Love to try some!!
Can you send me say maybe 4-5 pounds of Accurate #5, you know so I can try it in a couple different projectiles???
I have been reading about this HS-6 as well , can you send me some of that as well , If you have any???
Ur Friend Ole!!!
Sure, stop by the house and I'll fix ya right up. Now don't forget the Stella's and McDonald's on your way, I'll even show ya how to use the stuff!

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Hmm...isn't HP-38 just W-231 under another label?

·
Registered
36,318 Posts
Czech , oK heres MY recipe, and of course as usual load at yuor own risk my friend--
Extreme 124 grain Hollow Point in 9 MM Luger.

Accurate #5 @ 5.6 grains OAL 1.080
HS-6 @ 6.4 grains OAL 1.080

Neither is total max but they are NOT powder puff loads either.

Reactions: Sawfish

·
Registered
36,318 Posts
Hmm...isn't HP-38 just W-231 under another label?
thats my understanding and I believe all my manuals denote the exact same loading and OAL for the 2 powders with the same projectiles.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
8,538 Posts
I ran across a 500 box of extreme 124 grn JHP yesterday for $47. I picked them up and a bottle of titegroup. So interested in your final recipe and COL. I been plunk testing 4 of my 9mm pistols to get a good all around COL. Am at 1.135 so far. I picked up the titegroup because it was cheap, and I wanted to load 357 as well.

·
Registered
36,318 Posts
My CZ have the shortest throats/cjambers of any of my 9 MM so i set every projectile to fit/ function in them, then they work in everything else i own.
my general OAL for the round nose projectiels is at 1.120 or 1.125--doesn't really seem to matter. but with some of the Jhp and the short nose If I set them that far out then I gots a whole lot of nose showing and not a lot of side in the case.
the all solid Copper Hollow points are extremely long and they are set at a totally different OAL as so much case capacity is lost due to the length of the projectile itself.
The case length of the 38 Super makes the all copper Hollow points a lot better as case capacity is larger to begin with and we are pushing the exact same projectile as the 9 MM..
so much of OAL has to do with projectile weight, material made from and taper of the projectile near the front.

Reactions: silverstring
1 - 11 of 11 Posts