Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I just joined the forum today because I fell in love with the Raging Judge
My main question is what version does everyone prefer at first I wanted the 3in but now looking at the 6-1/2in version I can't make up my mind.

Are the barrels interchangeable if I decided to switch to a smaller barrel for carry.

Last question what is a fair price to pay for the raging judge in today's market.

Thank You
Saleen73

please excuse any grammar or spelling errors I did this on my phone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm sure you'll get answers that clearly validate both choices. As for me, I went with the 6.5" and could not be happier.

With the Raging Judge Magnum, let's face it -- short or long barrel, it's still a preposterously huge revolver! So, in that context, I figured -- go big or go home, right? If it's already a five-pound gun, might as well have the longest barrel you can get -- that longer barrel will make it more powerful and more accurate. In comparing the two, the choice was also pretty easy for my situation. I already had a Public Defender, so I already had a short-barrel Judge.

I've found the Raging Judge to be very, very accurate. The long barrel puts a lot of distance between the front and rear sights, such that it's very easy to shoot very straight with it. On my first outing with it, I took a shot at the "5" on one section of a target, from 25 yards out. This is what I hit.

Now, sure, someone might shoot better, but I was pretty pleased with that shot, considering it was freehand, from a 5-pound gun, and 25 yards away!

Yes the longer barrel makes the gun huge, ridiculously huge, but ... it's always going to be huge no matter what; it's not like a Raging Judge is a concealed-carry firearm. And yes it's heavy, but the question is whether you need to shoot the .454 Casull round or not. If you need the .454 Casull, then you may find you actually prefer the heavier longer barrel, since the recoil is rather severe and I can only imagine that the lighter, shorter-barrel version has worse recoil. It's pretty amazing how the heavy RJM tames the recoil of 45 Colt loads; they pretty much feel like shooting 22LR's since the gun is so heavy and it soaks up the recoil really well. But the .454 Casull rounds have substantial recoil. So the question is -- if you don't need the .454 Casull, maybe you'd prefer the Raging Judge Ultralite, which is a 7-shot model that's a pound or two lighter, but can't handle the Casull. I'm sure it would still be every bit as accurate as the full-bore heavy long barrel model, and it's big enough that I'm sure it absorbs plenty of recoil. If you want the huge power of the .454 Casull, don't get the Ultralite model, as it's not chambered for it.

The longer barrel may also give the option of mounting a scope or red dot sight. Taurus makes a rail for the Raging Bull that may be somewhat adaptable to the RJM with a little bit of machining, so if you wanted a scope, you'd want the longer barrel.

Anyway, those are a few reasons I think the longer barrel is well worth it, but as always, only you can decide what's best for you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with the previous post. I have a stainless 6 1/2 and it's great. Well balanced and comfortable to shoot. I figured if I was getting a gun like that, get my monies worth. I mean really, would you buy a snub nosed Sherman tank?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I looked at the three inch, but went with a six and a half. This gun will be downright evil in a three inch shooting 454.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the shorty. It is not all that bad in short barrel. I have shot 3 different loads and not to much difference in the recoil between them. Loud as all get up tho

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I've got the short barrel. It's got a little jump to it shooting 300 grain Speer's but makes you grin every time. The 3" 410's make it a heck of a snake charmer.

Attachments

Reactions: nechaev

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for the responses I think I made up my decision to get the 6 1/2" RJM in SS
my only problem now is trying to find one for sale.

Whats a good price to pay?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thank you everyone for the responses I think I made up my decision to get the 6 1/2" RJM in SS
my only problem now is trying to find one for sale.

Whats a good price to pay?
I also have the 3 inch and love it! 300 grain hornady ftx 454 rounds are wrist breakers! Lol

You should expect to pay around $750 to $850 new.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
29 Posts
Buds occasionally has them for $750-$800, and I've seen one at an Academy store for $799. Buds has the 3" version right now for $757. Also try your local gun shows, I've seen the 6.5" version available for $799.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I've been looking for a Raging Bull in 6.5" barrel now for awhile and had Bud's looking for one for me. Walked in to a small gun shop near my house tonight to buy a can of Gun Scrubber and they was unpacking one to put in the counter. I saw it and it left the store with me about 6 PM tonight. I paid the same price I would of paid out the door less than I would of paid at Bud's by a few bucks. I chose it over the Raging Judge as I don't mess with 410 stuff at all but do shoot both 45 Colt and 454 Casull so got those covered with this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so I went into a couple LGSs today and found a 3" Blued RJM for $800 at first I wasn't considering the Blued version but after seeing it in person it really is pretty.

BTW holy cow the size of the RJM is staggering I think my jaw hit the glass when I saw it. Pictures really don't give you the best idea of how massive these guns really are, kudos to everyone who has one on here I am just so excited waiting to find one in 6.5" SS for myself.

·
22,058 Posts
Wait till you shoot the Raging Judge with the .454.

I personally liked the long flame that exited the end of the barrel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I can't hardly wait I don't think I've been this excited about something in my life since wanting a Nintendo as a kid, is it weird to fantasize about wanting this gun?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I can't hardly wait I don't think I've been this excited about something in my life since wanting a Nintendo as a kid, is it weird to fantasize about wanting this gun?
I know exactly what you mean. I have a lot of guns, but I find myself at least once a day going in my bedroom to look at my RJM! And I have had mine for over a year! There is something about this gun that the butterflies in the stomach never go away!

·
Registered
355 Posts

I did just that for the first time today with the Hornady XTP. PURE AWESOME!!

Reactions: airwrench

·
Registered
29 Posts
BTW holy cow the size of the RJM is staggering I think my jaw hit the glass when I saw it. Pictures really don't give you the best idea of how massive these guns really are.
And that was with the 3" barrel. It's substantially even more impressive with the 6.5"... I think you're going to like it, when you find one!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And that was with the 3" barrel. It's substantially even more impressive with the 6.5"... I think you're going to like it, when you find one!

It was only the 3" RJM I got to see but the shop also had a Raging Bull 454 that I think was a 6" barrel. What's funny was even though the 6" was big when I looked at the RJM the cylinder just gave the gun an impressive presence. I was more shocked at the mass that the gun has.

Still going to hold out for a new 6" in SS since I have a feeling these 2 RJMs will be there for a while.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the RJM, and I paid 799 for the 6.5 inch barrel version. It's a ridiculously large gun, but REALLY fun on the range. You definitely turn heads with 454 Casull. They make a REALLY big boom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts