Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, I got a used Taurus raging judge magnum and was an idiot and didn’t inspect it closely enough in my excitement. Wasn’t until the next day I noticed the barrel is anout 1/8 turn out of alignment with the yolk (hopefully I’m using the right terminology). It functions fine and the barre lines up with the cylinders and it shoots, but the barrel shroud and front sight post are now tilted to the right. Does anyone know how to remedy this? It seems like a gun vise and a wrench would do the trick....just clamp er down and rotate it counter-clockwise 1/8 turn. Or is this something I need to send it back to Taurus for? Posting pictures to show what I mean.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,227 Posts
Wow...........how did that make it through Q.C.?
If it shoots fine and doesn't bother you I would keep it.
For me it would drive me nuts seeing that everytime I shot it.
I kind of doubt they could rotate that far enough to where it belongs.
This is all just my opinion of course.
It really does look weird.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I am not a gunsmith and make no claims on knowing anything about anything, but... clearly the barrel has been over torqued into the yoke/crane for some reason. Unscrewing it into alignment would only make it loose. I would think the solution would be to remove the barrel and use some type of shim on the barrel threads to bring it back into proper alignment when it is re-tightened. Methinks a gunsmith has probably seen this issue before and would know how to fix it.

Or I could be completely full of poopie.

·
8,874 Posts
What Flareside said above. Unless you have the tools and knowledge it is time to pay a gunsmith or send to Taurus and pay their shipping costs. You are going to pay either way, unless you can return to seller. I have seen over and under torquing on Smiths as well. But I gotta admit, that mis-alignment is one of the worst I have seen.

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
Wow...........how did that make it through Q.C.?
If it shoots fine and doesn't bother you I would keep it.
For me it would drive me nuts seeing that everytime I shot it.
I kind of doubt they could rotate that far enough to where it belongs.
This is all just my opinion of course.
It really does look weird.
ahh, well it was late (like 4:30) off the assembly line on a Friday and the guys were talking about meeting up at the local watering hole where 4 very well endowed ladies were meeting them!
OR it was just typical Quality Control at Taurus brazil.
take your pick as to which story you like.

Attachments

Reactions: Rickenbacher39

·
Registered
17,227 Posts
ahh, well it was late (like 4:30) off the assembly line on a Friday and the guys were talking about meeting up at the local watering hole where 4 very well endowed ladies were meeting them!
OR it was just typical Quality Control at Taurus brazil.
take your pick as to which story you like.
Wait until you see the one they make that will shoot around corners................:eek:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Does it shoot point of aim? With a fixed rear sight, manufacturers cheat sometimes and cams the barrel one way or the other to get point of impact right. Yup it looks ugly and yours appears a bit extreme.

If it shoots correctly, they cheated and badly. That is an appearance defect that Taurus should remedy.

Maloy

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
OP said he got it used. Maybe it was the first owner that messed around with the barrel alignment for some reason and not Taurus. Not trying to defend Taurus QC/QA but maybe they didn't have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thanks for the help guys. I wasn’t able to find anything on this subject from days of google searches but good to know I’m not the only one whose had this. Yeah I don’t know, I hate to bash a company but dang....2 out of 3 Taurus revolvers I’ve owned have been complete garbage. Had a tracker .44 that wouldn’t rotate the cylinder unless you pulled the hammer with one hand and simultaneous rotated the cylinder with your other. But again thanks for the replies, the guys at the ruger forums are all saying pretty similar things. Not something I can do myself, send it to a gunsmith or (most common response) just make Taurus fix it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts