Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I proudly own a Raging Bull, chambered in 44mag and having the ported 8 3/8 barrel. I bought the gun new from the local gun shop last spring, but I honestly couldn't tell you the date of manufacture. I have fired somewhere less than 150 rounds through it and as with all my guns, I treat them like they were my children, going as far as to tuck them in and sing them to sleep at night!
I have noticed, even from day one right out of the box, this big brute has a very light trigger pull in single action. (or is it double? I always get those confused. Its when I cock the hammer with my thumb and then fire.) Any way, I have noticed something that is disturbing, and I suppose there may even be some safety considerations to take into account here. This is where I need your help!
When I cock the hammer and pull the trigger slowly and lightly , adding gradually increasing pressure such as when I am aiming very carefully at a target, The Bull dont always fire the chambered round. I don't recall that the firing mechanism was always this way, but it did, as I mentioned, come from the factory with a very light trigger pull in single/double firing (delete whichever is inappropriate). The trigger pull when shooting without cocking the hammer manually, is not unusually light, nor is it really difficult. To the best of my recollection, I have never had a failure to fire when shooting without first cocking the hammer. However, this problem with firing with a cocked hammer seems to be getting a bit worse, as time goes on.
This is the first and only revolver that I own or ever have owned, and my pistol expierance is mostly limited to autos. Honestly, I am at a loss here. In the dark, as it were. Was the Raging Bull made this way and I never noticed it before? Is it a safety feature built into the mechanism to guard against accidental/unplanned discharge?
On the other hoof; is it a failure to fire caused by a failure in the sear or other internal part? Is this problem only going to get worse as I fire more rounds through the gun? Is this something that the guys at the factory or repair shop need to look at? Am I going to have to send my baby away to have her...(gulp!)...fixed? The very thought of all of those strange men having their hands on her....
I would like to hear if any of our members have seen this issue before, especially what the resolution of the problem is. I appreciate any thoughts that you may have to offer. Thanking you in advance.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I am not a gunsmith but is sounds like you are suffering form light strikes. Maybe someone more experienced with this can expand on why. I have heard this sometimes occurs when the springs are swapped out, but you stated this has happened since you purchased it new so that rules that one out. Either way I would give Taurus a call and see what they recommend, most likely a trip in. With the serial number they can tell you the manufacturing date and all that. I have noticed when I called in and avoided the "disgruntled tone" they offered to pay for shipping even though my gun was out of free shipping coverage (within one year of purchase), not that you would use that tone, just saying it worked for me. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Best of luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts