Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well what kind of bad experience have you had in raging bulls in 44 mag and 41 mag regarding particular brands of ammo?
How is it with Blazer aluminum?

·
Registered
73 Posts
This seems like a loaded question (no pun intended). What kind of bad experience have you had with different loads in the RB?

So far the only factory load my RB has seen is this:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Ammo-Centerfire-400-444-Caliber-44-Remington-Magnum-Defense-Hunting-Classic-Centerfire-Pistol-Cartridges-44-Magnum-240-Grains-Jacketed-Hollowpoint-20-_QQ6993_QQ196

And that's only because I was able to get it for $9 locally. It was fine, the cases expanded properly, and shot straight. Not as straight or as cheap as my home loads though...

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
One box of WWB 240gr (no problems) the rest are ALL relaods for me....

What kind of bad experiances are talking about? The gun was designed for .454 so it should handle any factory .44mag loads.

Edit: you can usen shoot ammo with OAL that wouldn't fit in the S&W .44's :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive never had thepleasure of shooting a Raging Bull sadly, thought when i get my bonus im getting one.

Well im just curious because ive seen a few reports about the Raging Bull Ultralight 44 mags having extraction issues when ussing full power loads, cases sticking mainly.

SO i was wondering what brands or loads would be a bad idea outside of the target range.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I reload, so facory ammo is my last resort...All I can tell you is that one time when I downloaded H110 below min. recommanded load I had a couple of cases getting stuck; somehow the unburned powder got in between the case and the cylinger.... But they weren't too difficult to push them out with a screw driver. After I increased the charge din't have any problems.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bezoar said:
Ive never had thepleasure of shooting a Raging Bull sadly, thought when i get my bonus im getting one.

Well im just curious because ive seen a few reports about the Raging Bull Ultralight 44 mags having extraction issues when ussing full power loads, cases sticking mainly.

SO i was wondering what brands or loads would be a bad idea outside of the target range.

That can happen in all ultralight designs. In a full steel gun like the RB or the other manufacturer equivalents, you'd have to be shooting anti tank rounds to cause this, or real lite crimps.

I've thought a couple of times of owning either the full size Taurus or Smith in the ultra light versions. If I did go down that road, I'd do two things. First, I'd use a round that fits the chamber with a bit of room to spare in case of a bullet moving in the case mouth and locking the cylinder (bad news if you're in trouble). Second, I would probably use jacketed only bullets with a cannelure and a heavy roll crimp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts