Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was directed to this site from The Firing Line. Com and was wondering if anyone had any info on the Taurus raging Bull 500 magnum? I just went and ordered one yesterday with the 10" barrel and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on it?

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Is that the one that will shoot the .410 shotgun shells as well? I bet that would be a handful and a half!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Now that's a serious gun! Since the forum is so young yet, you might need to give it some time before a member shows up with one. Its not you typical CCW! I'd like to hear some specifics on it. Let us know when it comes in and how it performs when you get a chance to get out with it.

·
6,541 Posts
LINK

Can you say Dirty Harry.

I'd hate to see someone pull that on a carjacker. I think they may soil their pants.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had one of the 4410's which shot .410 and 45LC. It had a 6.5" barrel and "000" would spread 12" at 10ft. The recoil was not bad at all with any .410 and standard 45LC. I would have kept it if I could have purchased higher grain slugs. The 2.5" barrel would be a great car gun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flyer said:
Is that the one that will shoot the .410 shotgun shells as well? I bet that would be a handful and a half!
No, this is a different gun, the one you are talking about shoots a shotgun shell and a handgun round. I saw it in the catalog.

I think the Tarurus .500 looks alot better that the S&W and is cheaper, I just hope it will fit in my safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, Guys...

I am new here...

I have not yet handled the Taurus 500, but I did use to own an S&W 500...which for money reasons I had to let go of...

Anyways, be aware of something: the cylinder on the Taurus 500 is actually a little shorter than the one on the Smith...so you may not be able to chamber all of the various rounds that you can in the Smith.

I have a hunch that this would probably come into play if you tried to use a round with anything heavier than the 440 grainer ( they are pretty long as it is...)

I don't know why Taurus did this...but they did

·
6,541 Posts
Looks nice ... and big. ;)

Do you think there's any way you could get a picture a little more clear than that? Maybe one with a couple of rounds sitting next to it.

·
32,481 Posts
Excellent pick. Now how are you going to carry it for CCW? If you use it for groundhogs and miss the bullet passing over the hole will create a wind that will suck that baby back out of his lair so you can have another go at him. ;D .500s seem to be for big bad dangerous game, but then like the .50 caliber rifle shooters, it is just for fun too. There was something about the cylinder in the Taurus being shorter than the S&W and the heavier rounds might not fit in some magazines when they reviewed the .500 Raging Bull, so the earlier poster is correct in stating that info. Seems some of the media missed that little nugget. ;D

·
6,541 Posts
Is there any way I could talk you into loading those into the Gallery? Those are some nice pics of that hand cannon.

Have you shot it yet? How's the recoil?

·
6,541 Posts
At the top of the screen ... you see some buttons that look like this:

Home Help Search Profile My Messages Donations Members Gallery Logout

Click on the 'Gallery' button, then the Taurus Revolver link, and there should be a link there to upload the pics.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, Bulldog!

To answer your question, sort of...

According to 500 mag guru, John Ross...Taurus has apparently lengthened their cylinder since their 500 first came onto the market.

Yours might actually be the standard length. Offhand, I don't know what the dimension in length is of the S&W 500 cylinder. I am sure that you can probably find the specs somewhere on the internet. Or maybe bring your Taurus 500 to a shop that has an S&W in stock so that you can compare them.

According to Ross, a lot of people were really ticked-off when Taurus first released their 500 with their cylinder shorter than S&Ws. Supposedly they have since remedied the issue.

I hope yours is the newer one! Just looking at the picture you posted, it looks about right...though it's hard to tell from a picture.

I am really looking forward to a range report as to how it shoots! I dearly loved my S&W 500, but had to part with it because I needed to free up some cash.

I have done some handloading for the 500, and if you would like some recipes I would love to share!

Have fun with your new acquisition...and lemme know how she shoots!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope yours is the newer one! Just looking at the picture you posted, it looks about right...though it's hard to tell from a picture.
Well let hope it's the newer one. You would think that it is, being that it was ordered directly from Taurus. I hope, I hope , I Hope.
Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I finally got to shoot my new 500 yesterday and I gotta tell ya I was in love with it. The recoil was not as bad as I thought it would be. I have a Ruger 480 and after shooting 12 rounds through that I could feel it in my hand for a few hours, but after the 500 I was fine, and it was a real head turner at the range. So all in all I am very , very happy with my Big Bull.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't have one, but I just had to comment. I saw this in their catalog also.

As a snubbie.

No offense meant to anyone, but my first thought on seeing it was,

"Holy Jesus H. F***in' bald-headed CHRIST!!!"

I cannot imagine that would be comfortable to shoot, nor easy to control, even with the porting. That saidTM, however, I'd love to be convinced I was in error. That thing looks like it would very effectively and satisfyingly stop any threat short of an Abrams tank.

I look forward to (just read, while typing this! :) )a range report on the cannon pictured here as well as the snubbie version, if anyone has one.

Once again, my apologies if my above thought offended anyone.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts