Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Taurus fans. I just joined and have a question I can't seem to get a straight answer for and a concern about cylinder ejection of spent cartridges.
I have a Raging Bull 454 Casull, blue finish, 6-1/2 inch barrel. I love this gun. It is nicely balanced "fits" my hand perfectly, recoil is easily manageable, muzzle velocity is so high that the bullet is well beyond the muzzle before it rises and the accuracy is phenomenal. Iron sights at 50 yards, rested, 5 rounds, silver dollar sized group.
I am aware that the 454 is a 45 caliber weapon. My question is will it shoot any 45 caliber round that will chamber in the cylinder without exceeding the cylinder length. I ask this because I have some 454 reloads that chamber but are too long and interfere at the barrel. (the bullet protrudes beyond the cylinder). I intend to dispose of the reloads that just do not fit because the casings were not properly formed and are buldged at the primer end or are too long for the cylinder. Just don't trust them cause they aren't "kosher".
Now for shoot able rounds. My list is of course 454 Casull, which is a given, 45 Colt, 45 Schoffield, 45 long colt, 45 ACP (a 410 is too long). I have heard that it will also handle 44 mags but I have my doubts since a 44 is a .010 inch smaller diameter. I think it will rattle in the chamber and may not align properly.

As to the ejection problem, after firing 1 to 5 rounds of 454, I have to either let the gun cool or tap soundly on the ejector pin to eject the spent cartridges. They are incredibly tight after expansion. Is this normal? Do I need to hone the cylinders? Will oil or grease alleviate the problem? I really do not want to hone (emery cloth) the cylinders if at all possible.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Do Not Shoot 44mag from a 454! that is an incredibly stupid thing to do.

you should be able to shoot any RIMMED 45 cartrige that will easily fit into the camber. that excludes 45ACP (no rim). and don't try to shove a .460 or 45-70 in there.

who made those reloads? they don't sound very good and i probably wouldn't shoot any of them.

are these reloads that are sticking in the chambers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
44WCF,
Thanks for responding. I had no intention of even trying to fire a 44mag due to its caliber difference. I don't take hearing something as true. That is why I queried that idea. Thanks for the round info as well. No ACP's, otherwise OK for 45 caliber.

All 454 rounds, both commercial and reloaded are sticking in the chamber.

The reloads were provided with the gun. I purchased it at a gun show for $500 and was given quite a few rounds of various commercial makes and some reloads. I suspect the owner I purchased it from made the reloads. I have already fired the "good" reloads (Inspected and passed size reqs) and shot OK. The rest I am going to dispose of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will not be shooting 45-70's. I believe they are too long for the cylinder anyway. Isn't that a rifle round? (Buffalo rifle)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just fired my RagingBull 454 with 50 rounds of 240gr FTX Hornady. I did not have any problem with empty cases not coming. All empty shells easily comes out as fast as you push the ejector rod. It kicks like a mule....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Make sure the chambers are clean. There is no rust or burnt on dirt or other crap like that. Use a copper or a brass brush to clean them properly.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I think I'd follow the Taurus Revolver manual and only use .454 Casull and .45 Colt rounds in your Raging Bull. Other cartridges may fit but you might run into safety issues and warranty problems. As mentioned give the chambers a good cleaning after using the shorter .45 Colt rounds and before using .454 rounds. Also sage advise to not use reloads you don't have intimate knowledge of. Have fun with that Raging Bull!

Coop

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for responding. The chambers are clean and oiled prior to shooting and still stick. Maybe I picked up a weapon whose cylinder bores were at the minimum size spec and are tight because of this. There is only maybe .005 inches of play (if that) when a commercial round is chambered. It shoots like a dream, is incredibly accurate and consistent. Could it be due to that close fit? After all it is the best shooting hand gun I have ever shot and that includes a brand new Belgian made Browning high power 9mm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts