Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Depends on the gun. My GF has a very difficult time with my 24/7 G2 but got her the 709 and she has no problem with that.

·
5,686 Posts
Not necessarily. I've handled a lot of semi auto's. Some easier to rack than others. Shop around. Over time the recoil spring will loosen as well and make it easier. You can also teach her to rack it in a non conventional way. Have her grasp the slide with one hand and force the hand on the grip sharply downward. When I practice shoot, I wear a glove that is coated with a no slip coating.

Here's a video that might help explain it more.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Because I'm facing being so old and feeble that I can no longer rack an auto I'll keep "The Old Man" around.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
my first taurus is a taurus 38 sp (waiting for my 24/7 g2 to come into my lgs), doesn't get any easier then a revolver. i would take her to a store, let her handle one and see what she thinks. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
My wife has difficulty pulling the slide to chamber a round.
Is the slide in question on a specific gun, or is it any semi-auto?

Personally, my PT140 is more difficult for me to pull than my 809. Just has to do with the stiffness of the spring and how much it has to compress and whatnot. So, if it's only one specific gun [model] she has trouble with, she might try different models until she finds one she's comfortable with. Just go to your LGS and ask to fondle everything. :D

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
An issue that my wife initally had racking my PT609, was two-fold.
First, she was gripping the slide wrong, trying to pull it back using her thumb and finger. I showed her how to side-grip it properly.
Second, she was only trying to pull it back while holding the frame still in her other hand. I then showed her how to pull the slide with one hand, while pushing forward with the other in one fluid single motion. She has not had an issue racking it since.

Good luck, If she still has difficulty, you may have to get her a different weapon, or go the revolover route.

Rob

·
Registered
14,172 Posts
Somewhere, I believe it was on Ebay or Gun Broker I came across a device that was developed for a Glock pistol. Don't know why one couldn't be had for another brand. Anyway it was a small extension that fit on top of the slide extending rearward and had a finger hole in it. It was designed for those who could not grasp the side of the slide and pull it back. If I can locate a photo I will post a link to it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the info. My wife too has trouble pulling the slide on the 24/7 G2 9mm that I bought her for Christmas. I will review the video with her.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
We get that a lot. Husband or BF buy's their SO a auto and come to find out she can't pull the slide back. We try different technics to see what works best for them. But sometimes they end up buying a revolver.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Not necessarily. I've handled a lot of semi auto's. Some easier to rack than others. Shop around. Over time the recoil spring will loosen as well and make it easier. You can also teach her to rack it in a non conventional way. Have her grasp the slide with one hand and force the hand on the grip sharply downward. When I practice shoot, I wear a glove that is coated with a no slip coating.

Here's a video that might help explain it more.
Thanks for posting that, MK! My wife finds racking the slide on my 1911 awkward. I'm going to have to show her this vid.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
A glove really makes a difference for weak hands.
Like a nitrile surgical glove.

Some of my 1911's have left and right safeties....
meaning the 'ear' sticks out on both sides, plus
there isn't much room behind the ejection port
on the slide. You can hardly rack them any way BUT
with your thumb and forefinger.[or loose chunks of skin]

Many semi-autos don't have that issue.
A good choice would be a Smith & Wesson 5906 used...it
should be broken in and easy to rack...and easy on the wallet.

There are new semi-autos that she can rack...you will just have to go touch many.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My wife had the same issue. When she went shopping for her own, she found the walther PK380 to be the easiest slide to rack and it has turned out to be her favorite gun. I like it too.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
This was a problem that my wife had with semi-autos. her answer ... steal my S&W 686.

I've often wondered what the difference is from a safety standpoint between a double action revolver and double action semi-auto with a round chambered. She wouldn't have to rack the slide, slip off the safety and she'd have a lot more rounds available than in a revolver or, heaven forbid, get a Glock and not even bother about the safety. I'd be interested in your opinions.

·
5,686 Posts
This was a problem that my wife had with semi-autos. her answer ... steal my S&W 686.

I've often wondered what the difference is from a safety standpoint between a double action revolver and double action semi-auto with a round chambered. She wouldn't have to rack the slide, slip off the safety and she'd have a lot more rounds available than in a revolver or, heaven forbid, get a Glock and not even bother about the safety. I'd be interested in your opinions.
I think what ever is comfortable for her to carry is what's best.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Want to save time on the video go to 4:49 and that's it!

·
Registered
206 Posts
My wife could not rack the slide on the PT140 using any of the methods (tricks) given. Decided on a revolver anyway due to their simplicity and and near failure proof nature. So glad I did.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Now the speed loader practice begins...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts