Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To whom it may concern:

I am a newby so be gentle.

Problem: I have a new 380 738 and am not use to autos. I am a wheel man by nature. Problem is, when the breach is open after last fired cartridge I load the magazine. Breach still open. Reinsert full magazine. Pull the slide back and the bullet does not chamber but jams.

Solution: when I release the slide catch the round chambers and I have no problem at all.

Is there a loose nut behind the trigger?

Remember now be nice as I seek for an answer.

RC (Rhetor Critic)

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If it chambers okay when you hit the slide release, you're probably riding the slide forward a bit rather than slingshotting it when you do it without using the slide release. You have to kind of let your hand slip off the back of the slide when you slingshot.

There's also some technique involved. It's harder to pull the slide back when you hold the weapon extended out in front of you and only use thumb and forefinger to rack the slide. It's easier if you turn sideways (so the weapon is pointed downrange), hold the weapon across your body such that you're pushing with your non-firing hand rather than pulling. Still just gotta let your hand slip off the back, though.

This little lady's got a pretty good technique...

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum... When i first got my TCP , it did the same thing when i racked the slide. Never jammed when actual fired or using the slide release. I agree with dbearslee that you are probably riding the slide forward a bit......I hope yours performs as well as mine has. Great little pistol!!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
That post is correct. If you kinda ride the slide forward with you hane, it won't chamber a round. As mentioned, you gotta pull it all the way back, and just let it go

·
Registered
69 Posts
And I've also noticed that my new 738 chambers normal round tip practice ammo easier than my taper tipped hollow points. They are right when they tell you to slingshot the slide and not ride it as you can with most full size pistols. My compact Ruger requires the sling shot action too. Works great though!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Add me to the list, had this same exact condition until I modified (er, corrected) my slide rack technique. I now do all of my pistols more correctly because of it. Gotta let it fly free.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Is there a loose nut behind the trigger?

Remember now be nice as I seek for an answer.

RC (Rhetor Critic)
Well, the votes are in; the above must be true! :icon_ devil:

WELCOME
From NE Florida’s “first coast”
Middleburg that is!
Daves 44SS8.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think there is a natural tendency when manually racking the slide to want to be gentle on the gun (when relatively new to autos - I am still learning as I have relied on revolvers most of my life). But one way to overcome this is to remember just how full speed and hard the gun racks itself with every shot fired. If it doesn't harm itself when cycling, there is little to nothing you can do to harm it by slingshotting away when racking it manually. Let her rip! :cool:

Reactions: Marinevietvet

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Some very good advice so far. IMO though semi's aren't designed to be racked by hand in order to chamber a round for the reasons already given. Use the built in design (the slide catch release) as was intended by the manufacturer.

Reactions: Zenmag

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Some very good advice so far. IMO though semi's aren't designed to be racked by hand in order to chamber a round for the reasons already given. Use the built in design (the slide catch release) as was intended by the manufacturer.
That's one way to solve the problem. You still need to be able to slingshot a slide, though. That's how you clear most malfunctions.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
That's one way to solve the problem. You still need to be able to slingshot a slide, though. That's how you clear most malfunctions.
Your logic is impeccable! I was referring to (and should have made more clear) the initial chambering of a round and chambering with each magazine switch.

You are correct of course that clearing a malfunction has to be done with the off shooting hand.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hopefully keeping within the bounds of this topic.... I have a Beretta U22 Neos that allows me to easily use the slide catch release to chamber that first round. But my brand new TCP 738 slide is incredibly difficult to release with the slide catch release button. The spring pressure that is wanting to close the slide seems incredibly strong and that's what makes it nearly impossible to single handedly press that release button hard enough to release it.

Will using the slide catch release become easier as the gun becomes more broken in?

·
Super Moderator
37,208 Posts
I can add nothing...but to say, welcome from Northern Illinois!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Hopefully keeping within the bounds of this topic.... I have a Beretta U22 Neos that allows me to easily use the slide catch release to chamber that first round. But my brand new TCP 738 slide is incredibly difficult to release with the slide catch release button. The spring pressure that is wanting to close the slide seems incredibly strong and that's what makes it nearly impossible to single handedly press that release button hard enough to release it.

Will using the slide catch release become easier as the gun becomes more broken in?
The recoil spring will loosen up some, and the slide release rubbing on the notch will polish the surfaces some. So yeah, it should get easier with use. A little dab of grease in the slide notch might help too.

It's always harder to use the slide release if you've got an empty magazine inserted, because you're pushing against the mag spring at the same time your trying shear the release out of the notch. I've got some pistols that are dang near impossible to use the slide release with an empty inserted. Real small slide releases can be hard to operate too. My glock is like that - tiny little release that's hard to operate. So I just slingshot it.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts

I can't think of anything to add to what dbeardslee wrote.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Howdy from West Texas, looks like you got your answer right off the bat. Using the slide release is easiest for me as that is how I learned in the Navy. You will like the forum nice folks and good advice and best of all no look-down-their-nose types.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I just had a flashback from low those many years ago. I was acting as the demonstrator during a period of instruction prior to going to the pistol range. The instructor, the platoon leader and myself were going over the class, and when we got to the part about releasing the slide, the LT wanted me to do it with my left thumb. I obliged, but I asked him why not just hit it with your firing thumb.

His exact words were "Because it is physically impossible to operate the slide release with your firing thumb." (And I swear the guy talked just like Sylvester Stallone)

Being a natural smart azz from birth, and beings as how I was holding a 1911 with the slide locked back, before the echo faded from his words I thumbed the slide release with my firing hand. Ka-chunk!

His next words were classic - "Well... everybody doesn't have monkey thumbs."

And of course, he was right. Anatomy is always part of things, and if you have short thumbs and you can't get enough on the release, it's okay to use your non-firing thumb to do it. Even if you can get enough on the release but it's still hard to push down, you can also use both thumbs to do the deed.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys for the quick comebacks and all the help.

I will try and practice next time I am at the range with the 380 acp 738.

I will get back to you with the results.

sdg!

As they say in the Navy board ship:

"That is all!"

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I just had a flashback from low those many years ago. I was acting as the demonstrator during a period of instruction prior to going to the pistol range. The instructor, the platoon leader and myself were going over the class, and when we got to the part about releasing the slide, the LT wanted me to do it with my left thumb. I obliged, but I asked him why not just hit it with your firing thumb.

His exact words were "Because it is physically impossible to operate the slide release with your firing thumb." (And I swear the guy talked just like Sylvester Stallone)

Being a natural smart azz from birth, and beings as how I was holding a 1911 with the slide locked back, before the echo faded from his words I thumbed the slide release with my firing hand. Ka-chunk!

His next words were classic - "Well... everybody doesn't have monkey thumbs."

And of course, he was right. Anatomy is always part of things, and if you have short thumbs and you can't get enough on the release, it's okay to use your non-firing thumb to do it. Even if you can get enough on the release but it's still hard to push down, you can also use both thumbs to do the deed.
OH great! Thanks dbeardslee for letting me know I have 'monkey thunbs'! I have always been able to release a slide lock on any gun in my hand with my firing thumb. Some harder than others, but I can always do it. Now I know why!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts