Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bad luck with Taurus I think. Just yesterday I made a post about getting a holster for this thing because I thought it was reliable enough for CCW. Maybe not. It just started happening this morning: If I use the slide release lever to close the slide then the gun ends up in DA. If the gun is already cocked and I rack the slide and release it without keeping my hand on it then it goes back to DA. If I keep my hand on it to slow down the slide on its way back then it'll be cocked. Does it just need to be cleaned? I only have maybe 100 rounds through it since the last cleaning and maybe 800 total since new. I've been looking for an excuse to get an M&P compact, this might be it lol.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
With a 100 rounds thru it, a cleaning would seem like a smart solution. However, I am not sure if that is the problem. But cleaning the action sure could not hurt.

We have seen a discussion of this before, but I do not have the links for it available. Try a search, for DAO or DAO Mill Problems

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am intrigued by your experience - if I understand correcltly that when you use the slide release your gun is in DA mode - in other words you found away to decock the firearm. Or is this a malfunction? Did you rememedy your problem?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
hmm i dont have a milpro but im interested in getting one.. a cleaning might be good but 100rnds is not much for a gun to act up.. i would'nt think this type of malfunction would be dirt related anyway, but anythings possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I may have run into the same problem with my PT111.
Scenario: Slide locked back and I load a fresh mag then press the slide release to chamber a round and the gun automatically goes into DA, and in my case it wont fire the round at all. However if I eject the round, reload it into the mag and rack the slide by hand or release the slide while slowing it down with my hand the same round will fire as expected. Not sure if the force in slamming the slide forward due to the notoriously high tension recoil spring found in compacts is causing the round to seat improperly and subsequently the FTF or if it is another factor. I have not run into this on other guns, even other compacts like the G26/27 and Para/Kimbers 9's. For this reason I have grown weary of my 111 for carry.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I guess I've just been lucky, or got a good PT111 (3rd Gen)
I'm not experiencing anything like this.
My slide release leaves mine in SA mode, either naturally or slowing it down by hand.

I'm also glad I don't experience that "feature" or "defect" where the slide unlocks & loads when slamming in a magazine, as has been reported in another thread! I think I prefer having the control over when the slide unlocks & loads into full battery.

I had looked at buying a gun with a decocker, & still think it's a useful feature, but the safety on the PT111 is pretty good, & appeased my girlfriend, sooooo...

I can't say enough good things about my experience with my 2.5 month old PT111!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Flyinhigh - something is wrong with your gun - if the gun is in DA mode when you close the slide then it probably never went into SA when the slide went to the rear - sounds like your trigger is not working. This is purely me thinking - really don't have any expertise to be confident with or rely on. Just expressing my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I've read the posts, however, I'm not sure what you are calling "decocked" and/or "single action" The Pro's all handle the "single action" in the same way... a lever catches as the slide closes... there is a long & light trigger pull until you finally feel the trigger disengage.

The "double action" mode is the only "decocked" (only alternative)... the Pro feels exactly like the Millennium... the feel of the spring being compressed until it "drops" from the catch allowing the gun to fire.

In most guns that feature a "decocker" then the gun either won't fire at all, or is moved to a double action. Explain what you mean by the terms you are using.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By "decocked" I mean double action. As in it was cocked but then if I rack the slide and let it slam shut it will "decock", ie. go into DA mode. It will still fire after doing this, just in DA mode.

I finally got the gun shipped back to Taurus yesterday. They agreed to pick up the shipping to them because the gun is only 9 months old. So they scheduled a FedEx pick up from my house but I couldn't be home during the time the driver would come. They told me they couldn't just let me drop it off at a customer counter and have them pay for it. After a couple more calls to different reps, I got their FedEx account number and shipped the gun from a ship center. Now the wait... I'll probably get it back and it'll say "no trouble found."

·
Administrator
35,527 Posts
Not a great attitude to have....give Taurus a chance, I really think that more times than not they resolve the issue. If not, then you've got reason to really rant......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This gun is the second chance I've given them. The first was a 24/7 .45 I also bought new and had nothing but problems with (feeding issues and when ejecting full cartridges they would get lodged in the ejection port against the firing pin), even after they sent me new magazines which were supposedly the fix. A while later I thought I'd try the PT111 because it's an older model than the 24/7 and I figured they'd have their QC reigned in with it. I understand that many people have the exact same model and it's flawless but even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
is this a good place to say...

don't release the slide like that, it will cause wear. the slide catch is just for that, to catch. pull and release the slide to load a round. commonly known as "jackin one in"

ok guys, flame away

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
have to disagree on this jony, the slide catch is there to release the slide when loading a fresh mag, if it was intended solely for last round hold open then they would not have protruded leavers for you to press on.

could it save wear by pulling back the slide instead? hmm.. now that you might have a point on never thought about it and i could'nt say one way or the other, but the slide catch is most definitely there to be released when reloading.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
joe sixpack said:
have to disagree on this jony, the slide catch is there to release the slide when loading a fresh mag, if it was intended solely for last round hold open then they would not have protruded leavers for you to press on.

could it save wear by pulling back the slide instead? hmm.. now that you might have a point on never thought about it and i could'nt say one way or the other, but the slide catch is most definitely there to be released when reloading.
i've seen cases of the catch being rounded over by overuse of that and failing to catch. it's an argument that's gone on for years, and i'm sure will be going on long after i'm dead.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well it's fine state your opinion, i already said you might even be correct in saving wear, im not gonna debate that since i have no evidence to support nor discredit that statement.

but saying the slide catch is only to catch for last round hold open is just flat wrong.. now i can't speak for every gun but it says it's used to released the slide when reloading in my beretta manual.

im surprised i've not heard of this debate before, this is the first time i've heard someone suggest using the slide catch to release the slide is both an unintended function and an abusive practice.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
joe sixpack said:
well it's fine state your opinion, i already said you might even be correct in saving wear, im not gonna debate that since i have no evidence to support nor discredit that statement.

but saying the slide catch is only to catch for last round hold open is just flat wrong.. now i can't speak for every gun but it says it's used to released the slide when reloading in my beretta manual.

im surprised i've not heard of this debate before, this is the first time i've heard someone suggest using the slide catch to release the slide is both an unintended function and an abusive practice.
ok, i'm flat wrong, wouldn't be the first time. but it's amazing to me you've never heard of this debate. i know RMs and licensed trainers that have a fit over it. one of the guys i got my first CCW permit from would fail people for doing it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I ran into this problem on my PT111 before I traded it, it would be DA mode using the slide release. Real bugger on the range, not as accurate DA as I am with SA on the gun. I know it, longer pull. First one usually is the flyer.

I had approx. 1500rds through mine, slide release used maybe half of those. 1500/12 = 125 +/- 20 uses ...

150 times of releasing the slide lever caused the edge to round? I watched that, thinking that may have been the case but it was still very square and was only showing blueing wear. Cocking the slide to released relieved this problem, so I just did it that way ...

Only started in my last 400-500 rounds aswell.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
if your slide catch was rounded you'ed end up with the catch slipping and letting the slide release.. it however would NOT have made your gun decock or only fire in DA..

slide catch is nothing more thens a hunk of metal and a spring to catch the slide on the last round in the mag.

i do not know what was wrong with your gun but it was'nt the slide catch that much im sure of.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i agree with joe on this i'm no expert but i dont see how a worn slide catch would have anything to do with this prob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts