Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my Rossi R98104 on February 5th from BudsGunShop.Com. It was in stock, but as things are, I was told it would be between 9 and 15 business days before it would ship. I received an email on the 18th saying that it was in the shipping department. Posted on their web site on the 20th, I found out that it had shipped on the 19th, no email, no tracking number. It was due to be delivered on the 18th but due to bad weather, my FFL did not receive it until the 25th. My only disappointment with Bud's was that they charged my credit card on the 7th, I feel they should wait till it is ready to ship.

More bad weather was coming so I was only able to put 32 rounds through it. Zero misfires using Federal AutoMatch. Double action was long and generally smooth but occasionally you could stop just before firing, steady your aim and squeeze one off. In SA the trigger pull is very light and short. It feels very solid with some weight to it and it has a very light kick when firing. I have no problems with the rubber grip, it felt secure in my hand.

I do not have a lot of experience with handguns, inspecting the revolver closely revealed what I would call excellent quality. Various part fit together very smoothly, the seams between two adjoining parts is very smooth and barely noticeable. The cylinder works easily with very little gap between it and the barrel when cocked. At this point I'm sure the R98 will give me a lifetime of good service.

The finish of the R98 was a bit of a disappointment. It is called "blued", it looks more like a black powder coat. The trigger and hammer should be silver, they have a lot of black and brown areas that distract from a nice looking fire arm. Flat area's at the tip of the barrel look like they have tiny rust spots under the "bluing". The plate that covers the trigger mechanics is a slightly different color than the rest of the gun. This is not a show piece, it's a practical weapon for everyday use. I may polish the trigger and hammer but the rest of it is fine with me, I don't have to worry about getting it scratched up.

Waiting for the R98 to get here was tough, waiting for good weather so I can get out and shoot won't be any easier. I will take some more pictures while I'm stuck inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Thanks for the info - have been thinking about one!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats! Got mine in last week, ordered from Bud's on Weds evening, arrived at FFL on Friday! Shot about 300rds on Saturday. I'm extremely pleased with the gun, 4in was much more accurate than I had imagined it would be. Fired federal bulk, centurion, eley, american eagle, winchester all without a hiccup. I thought the DA was smooth, emptying 8 rounds in a hurry takes no time. SA is nice and light. Wouldn't hesitate to buy a second one!

·
Registered
238 Posts
The trigger and hammer should be silver, they have a lot of black and brown areas that distract from a nice looking fire arm.
Actually the trigger and hammer should NOT be silver. The black and brown areas are from case hardening and is actually a desirable thing! Over in the Smith and Wesson forums guys ohh and ahhh all over the black and brown stuff on the hammers and triggers and flip out on the guys that try and shine them up because when you clean off the colors you also reduce the hardening.

So do NOT polish the hammer and trigger or you risk reducing the hardening!!

Check this post: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/89428-model-85b2-followed-me-home.html

The gun in this pic shows some nice case hardening on the hammer and trigger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The black and brown areas are from case hardening and is actually a desirable thing!
Thanks for the heads up, I'll leave the trigger and hammer alone. I was also wrong about the finish looking like it was powder coated. I took the gun outdoors in the sun (we haven't had much of that lately) and you can plainly see that it is "blued". Indoors it looks so shiny and black, I was fooled. I'll blame that error on the weather.

I took some more pictures, I'll try to post them soon.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah I bought a Taurus Model 65 revolver a few years ago and was super mad when I opened the box and saw I had a black gun!! Same as you I later discovered that it was in fact blue.

Yes these 98's do not have the best fit and finish, on the left side of mine if I hold it in the right light you can see like a hump in the metal like they ground the flat area not so flat.

That said it seems to function well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I read a couple of threads on another forum on the whole pistol vs revolver thing, they went into great detail on the history of the terms and one guy pointed out that "Dueling Pistols" are single shot. The consensus was "a pistol is a pistol" and "a revolver is a pistol" but "a pistol is not a revolver". LOL

Just silly stuff really... glad you like your 98! I really like mine as well... hope to do some shooting this weekend! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, a revolving pistol, at the least :D

To play devil's advocate... Is a revolver a pistol? - Yahoo! Answers

Believe it or not, have not shot it since my video. However, have been able to pick up a number of bricks since then-- will be nice when the weather breaks and snow disappears.

Also have a few hundred shorts I look forward to cycling through my pistol :eek:

Nothing on the speed loaders, I continually check my two local shops (easier to return) for ANY .22 speed loaders and nothing is showing up..

How's your 98 treating you?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well, a revolving pistol, at the least :D

To play devil's advocate... Is a revolver a pistol? - Yahoo! Answers

Believe it or not, have not shot it since my video. However, have been able to pick up a number of bricks since then-- will be nice when the weather breaks and snow disappears.

Also have a few hundred shorts I look forward to cycling through my pistol :eek:

Nothing on the speed loaders, I continually check my two local shops (easier to return) for ANY .22 speed loaders and nothing is showing up..

How's your 98 treating you?
I haven't done much shooting of my *revolver* lately either, bad weather, sick etc... was going to try this weekend but supposed to rain all weekend.

Was fondling it last night while watching TV though... LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.