Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I do appreciate your spirit of pioneering the R98.

It's certainly a question only you can answer. Agree the R85 looks much more streamlined, and would probably fit nicely.

I could quickly photoshop them and give you an idea? If interested, I would love a small tutorial on disassembling the R98 cylinder of my first revolver :)

R981042.jpg
R85104.jpg

Appears the grip style on the R85 matches what you were trying to go for with the R98... are you sure you don't just want to buy one of those? :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The R85 is a medium frame I think and the frame butt is the more normal full size and uses "regular" two piece grips with the screw in the center.

Sure PhotoShop away! Would be neat to see!

And the cylinder is a breeze to take apart, check the disassembly link: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/22219-taurus-revolver-disassembly-pictorial-guide.html it has very clear pics on how the cylinder comes apart.

BIG NOTE! Be sure to have some empty casings in the cylinder before you unscrew the rod. You don't want to shear off the two little pins that the ejector star fits into.

Remember the ejector rod unscrews clockwise.

Note this pic: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/members/4403-albums457-picture16730.jpg

What I did was notch a 1X4 piece of wood to use instead of the plastic block in the pic. And where the crane is resting on the wood in the pic I used my kitchen table edge while I had my son catch the cylinder when it came off. I tapped the notched piece of wood with a hammer, it did not take very much effort all. Pay attention to all the little springs and how they go in. And be sure to remove the spring and plunger thing in the end of the crane tip before you start banging things around.

And finally watch for this part in the dissasembly instructions:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/members/4403-albums457-picture16743.jpg

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Now that looks sweet!! I may have to call Rossi and see if I can buy one for the 85!! What do you think? Looks much better huh?

EDIT: And while I'm changing things.... I despise the "PLINKER" billboard on the barrel. As it's etched in I guess I have to live with it. I may try and darken it so it doesn't stand out so much. Just silly things that don't really matter but since I'm in the change things mode... LOL

·
Registered
62 Posts
It does have a certain "1980s vs 1990s" appeal to it!

Though, if they say no, they might be right :tongue:

**Simply by using the color sample tool in photoshop (and just looking at the thing) its easy to tell the color is not the same, it may look a little off color-wise

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah, I doubt I will screw with it as I don't have the patience to wait on hold for an hour plus and then argue with the support guy when they tell me it won't work on my 98 LOL.

It's almost something simple enough that I could maybe make one from scratch from a piece of steel and the 'ol Dremmel tool... probably look like crap though...

EDIT: I COULD try and get a stock replacement for my 98 and then do some crazy mods to it with some epoxy and paint, and once I see how crappy it looks I can put the original one back on. LOL

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha! Did you take a lot of radios apart as a youngster?
Funny you should ask.... I am a Ham Radio Operator and do in fact tinker with the guts of radios. Back in the 1970's-1980's I worked in a custom car shop building hot rods and Dune Buggy's/Sand Rails/Baja Bugs.

But in reality I like my guns stock for the most part with the exception of grips maybe... and sights maybe... and ugly etching on the barrel... LOL

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am with you Fred. Built a crystal radio back in the 50's, Jr. Hi. Still have it and the 2000 ohm headphones. Been inside radios ever since. Now Extra Class.
Interesting how people have the same interests. Don't tell me you do machining, RC, and HO too.
Now with this hobby/pasttime its, "boy I wish I had one of them". I think I'm up to about 2 dozen guns.
Bill W.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Bill! Yeah did the "Radio Electronics" class in high school back in the mid 1970's. Didn't get my ticket until 1993 and never advanced past Tech. Got into computers real heavy about the same time discovered UNIX/Linux in 1995 and built a new career as a Systems Engineer. RC and HO always had an appeal but not something I pursued, to busy with the big cars. My youngest son got his Tech ticket a few years ago at 8 years old! A real wiz that kid. But we are drifting a bit off topic now! :)

(oh yeah, and a bunch of guns too!! And some "home" smithing now and again.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts