Taurus Firearm Forum banner

R98-104 Pic and range report!

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  fredg 
#1 · (Edited)
R98-104 .22 Pic and range report!

Well I got one pic before my junk camera died but it will have to do for now.

I did shoot her today! Had no issues at all, put about 150 rounds of various types of ammo through her and she never hiccuped once!

Feels real nice shooting to, low recoil so my wife likes shooting it and my 11 year old son as well.

I didn't do much of accuracy testing, in general it seemed to be fine but I need to adjust the sights and get her dialed in. I was focusing more on function testing today.

Needless to say I love my new Rossi!!

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
Pulled the side plate today and cleaned up the yellow sticky mess inside. It actually wasn't to bad as I had sprayed some cleaner in there when I first got the gun.

Plate popped right off, no problems with screws no problem with re-assembly. Always great fun removing the side plate from a revolver!

Just note that if you attempt to remove the plate from your revolver be sure you do not pry the plate off! Just tap the guns handle (with the plate up, and grips removed) with the plastic handle of a screw driver. The plate should start to come up. And when re-installing the plate be sure the hammer block in in correctly, you want it pushed all the way up. Also be sure to slip in the top corner of the plate first then press firmly. You should get the plate down about 90% of the way then you can slowly draw it down with the screws.

Make sure you keep track of the far right screw, the one closest to the barrel. This screw holds on the cylinder and has a little spring and pointed cap that you do not want to lose!

Discussion starter · #4 · (Edited)
Definitely not a fan of how "free" that hammer block is seated internally!
Same way on my S&W model 19 (and all Smiths) and has been that way for 50+ years so it must work OK, it's actually "captured" by the side plate and can't go anywhere. And if you don't get it in just right you will never get the side plate back on. So there is really no way for it to be messed up in there.

I did run into an issue with the spring bolt that holds the cylinder in place. If I try and snug up the bolt the cylinder will bind up when opening and closing. I could probably clean up the grove that the bolt tip rides in and free it up, but for now I snugged it the best I could and put some blue Loctite in it.

EDIT: Noticed that the spring has a kink in it at the one end so I think I will call Rossi and see if I can get a new yoke screw "kit", it should come with all 3 pieces, the yoke pin, pin spring and screw.

Discussion starter · #7 · (Edited)
Howdy
First post here. I joined having purchased a Rossi R98. Problem is, I purchased this revolver a month ago and still waiting for the transfer. Maryland State Police check is backed up big time. I think it was max two weeks, I was told it is now four to six weeks.
Then have the NICS check :( I have a couple other revolvers, but wanted a 22 LR for inexpensive shooting and use it to teach
wife and daughters with it. Anyway, glad to read your reports, sounds like I made a good choice! I'll post again when I get my new piece.:)
Wow that sucks having to wait so long to get something you already paid for! I sure hope they don't start doing that nation wide! Here in KS it's about a 15 minute process and you are out the door with your new gun and even less with a Concealed Carry license since they don't even need to call it in.

Yes I think you will enjoy it! It has the best trigger, meaning smooth and easy to pull, of any .22 revolver I have seen.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
LOL Boogs! Close her up and quit thinking about it. It really is a tried and true system and again is how Smith and Wesson has done it for years and years. The slot in the side plate holds it in place. With the plate on there is NO way it can move out of place. And if you do not have it just right there is NO way you will get the plate back on.

I do know where you are coming from though, I get bugged by things like this too... just not this thing! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.