Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking about a 97104 vs. a 85104. Except for the chambering in the cylinder and the barrel rib, they appear to be the same revolver. I'm a little curious about the description on Rossi's web site about the 97104. It states that the 97104 can fire powerful .38 Special +P rounds for the life of the revolver.

I find that this is a curious statement from a manufacturer of a .357 Magnum revolver! Does this infer that the pistol is not capable of firing a steady diet of .357 Magnums, but should mainly be used with less powerful .38 Specials? In all fairness, I recall that when Smith & Wesson first chambered their K-Frame size revolver in .357 Magnum they found that they were getting beat to death, and consequently had to beef it up into the L-frame. Is this the case here? How much .357 Magnum is too much?

Also the reference to the "life of the revolver" raises questions as well. Exactly how long is that? If I fire mostly .357 Magnums I can only presume that it isn't as long as it would be if I used only .38 Special powderpuff loads.

If the 85104 is really the same gun structurally, I wonder if I should just stay with that and save money?

Not trying to be a troll here - just trying to understand what they are trying to say, and decide on how I spend my money.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Looks like Rossi cut and paste the 85104 description to the 97104 page.

For manufacturing reasons the revolvers could be identical except for the barrels (and cylinder machining).

·
22,317 Posts

For manufacturing reasons the revolvers could be identical except for the barrels (and cylinder machining).
Agreed about the cut and paste.

I'd bet they are identical as you note, with the addition of a likely difference in type of steel and metallurgy. Unless they make both the .38 and the .357 out of steel that's good enough for .357 to simplify supply logistics.

To get to the point, though, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this revolver with the intention of putting nothing but full-power .357 though it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Ruger does this with their SP-101's and GP-100's. No difference between the .38 Special and .357 Magnum models other than the cylinder machining.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MikeyB, you're right! I see that now - just a cut and paste error by some pointy-headed web page designer! I should have caught that myself. Feel better now. Thanks.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

In my opinion a .357 should be able to handle factory .357 loads for the "life" of the gun.

Rossi and Taurus are notorious for having a lame website, so you can't go by that.

I'm hoping to buy one of those two guns myself, this year.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I too, am wrestling with the choice between the 97104 and the 85104. Versatility-wise, the 97104 is the best choice. In practical terms and most likely usage, the 85104 comes out on top. Even if I get the 97104, I will most likely be shooting .38SPL reloads but maybe the occasional .357MAG reloads (neither of which would be "hot" loads.) Right now on Bud's, there is nearly a $40 price difference.

I think that it's unlikely that I would regularly concealed carry a revolver with a 4" barrel (I already have a .357/.38 snubby for that.) I'm pretty sure tho, in the Home Defense mode, that a BG would NOT know the difference between a .357MAG and a .38SPL +P at 20ft or less! So a .38SPL revolver would still be more than a range/target toy.

I had posted before in another thread started by this OP, that the 97104 was a solid choice. Obviously, I'm not so sure. I don't know if I'm trying to talk myself out of the 97104 or into the 85104. Size, weight and ergonomics are essentially the same for both. The "what if..." me says get the 97104 but the "practical and frugal" me is heavily favoring the 85104 AND I don't think it's on back-order at my LGS.

Not necessarily looking for an answer from the forum (I'll have to decide for myself) but just pointing out that the OP isn't alone in his plight.

Flex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts