Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Academy has this gun on sale for $244.

Good buy? Good gun? Accurate & reliable?
Any feedback or comments on the 351?

Thanks,

Don

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I do not know much about the 351, 38!! But I bought the 461 357 version. DA mode is a hard pull, but the SA mode is a very light trigger pull. I have only shot 38's thru it so far and I like it very much. I paid $19 dollars more for the 357 version thru BudsGunShop.com. Of course I live close to them so only had sales tax, no FFL fees.

Either one will be pretty nice in my book, but when I was looking most had the 357 at or below the 38 version, and you got more options with that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 351 (refer avatar) and I am satisfied with it as an all around carry piece, also home protection. It shoots well in SA with sleightly heavy trigger pull in DA but something that can be gotten used to. Some tolerable recoil with +P's. High polish finish of blueing. Good weapon ;D

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
SkidLid said:
I have a 351 (refer avatar) and I am satisfied with it as an all around carry piece, also home protection. It shoots well in SA with sleightly heavy trigger pull in DA but something that can be gotten used to. Some tolerable recoil with +P's. High polish finish of blueing. Good weapon ;D
Glad you jumped in being an owner. It seems from your post, that both 351, and 461 have the same trigger pull, not an issue. I am by far not ready for 357's or +P yet. I want to learn the gun before I experiment with all the dif. ammo's available.

My first time firing, I was able to keep them on an 8.5 by 11 sheet but not any center hits at about 7 to 10 yards.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Robby, I also use 8 1/2 x 11 inch computer paper, cheapskate that I am. I found that if I draw a golfball sized circle with a felt-tipped pen, my groups seem to be much better. Sometimes I draw a horizontal line with a rectangle to imitate the front sight and cover it with the sight.
It seems that if I have a focal area, I shoot better.
Now if I can get the B.G. to wear a shirt with a similar drawing, I'll be O.K. lol

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
drummin_man627 said:
Robby, I also use 8 1/2 x 11 inch computer paper, cheapskate that I am. I found that if I draw a golfball sized circle with a felt-tipped pen, my groups seem to be much better. Sometimes I draw a horizontal line with a rectangle to imitate the front sight and cover it with the sight.
It seems that if I have a focal area, I shoot better.
Now if I can get the B.G. to wear a shirt with a similar drawing, I'll be O.K. lol
Well I use the same paper, however, from here someone had posted a target or two. I got a copy of a target, with a nice red round center one black circle and Circles out to about 6 inches with a cross bar too

Not sure I can find it here, but Go to BearTooth Bullets web site, you can find it there. I hate drawing a bullseye.

Here is the link, I found it

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/misc/targets.htm

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have one that was gotten in an estate sale. Fine enough gun. Since mine is older, I do not use +P in it. I use these:

Winchester JHP Silvertip 110 Grain

They are standard pressure and have the fun "you carry silver bullets!" conversation piece effect as well.

They do not kick as bad as +P either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
that is so cool thks for posting that site......i like free....lol
Robby said:
Well I use the same paper, however, from here someone had posted a target or two. I got a copy of a target, with a nice red round center one black circle and Circles out to about 6 inches with a cross bar too

Not sure I can find it here, but Go to BearTooth Bullets web site, you can find it there. I hate drawing a bullseye.

Here is the link, I found it

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/misc/targets.htm

·
Registered
267 Posts
leejack,

I used to have the .357 version of this gun & it was as good as any I ever owned. Actually, I didn't shoot it well with full house .357s, but could consistantly hit a beer can at around 7 yds with 124gr +P 38s. As far as the double action trigger pull, I doubt that any will be great. I've never had any DA/SA that I could really shoot in DA and I shoot alot. I also have small hands and not a real strong grip, which doesn't help. I'd say that if it is in your price range and you have the need, go for it. BTW, I've had a couple of S&W DAs and was not impressed. Most of the people that carry the Airwieghts don't shoot them much due to the kick. The Rossiis a good carry gun, IMO. One thing I've noticed is that many of the snubbies do tend to shake loose the cylinder release leaver, so you might check it every 50-100 rounds.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
TY for the little reminder on the cylinder release. I know I like my 461, and it shoots about as straight as an old man can hold it. I am far better with it than a 3" semi auto.

It fits in my vest pockets, or IWB very well. Even though not light weight, it does not seem heavy. No more weight that an empty PT111. Add the 12 round of 9mm and it is light in comparison.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts