Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am by no means an expert when it comes to guns. I do however love to read and discuss many issues concerning the subject. One topic which has peeked my interest is the subject of "quality of gun vs user non-familiarity". This is often raised when talking mostly about 1911s. Some will say that for a certain amount of money spent, the gun should be flawless in fit, finish and performance. Others will say that the 1911 is somewhat of a tinker's gun. Basically needing refinement or upgrading in order to get the gun running within perfect operating parameters. With this being said, would the same hold true with other types of guns.

Let's take the Millennium Pro line and 24/7 for example. While these guns do not seem to have the vast upgradability available to the 1911. Taurus has offered refinements over the years. The first generation of MPs offered a desirable package at an affordable price. Then came the now famous frame cracking issue. Taurus rectifies that by releasing the second gen. Which to me was a very solid line. Then they take it a step further in the third gen. Was it needed, that really depends on who likes a straight DAO over SA/DA and 8-sights. 24/7 is getting a similar treatment by all the models that have come out over the years and keeps going with it's highly awaited OSS model. Honestly though, how much of the problems experienced with the MP and 24/7 are the gun makers inability to produce a quality firearm or the incompetence of the user? 50/50, who knows?

Now to my point. While surfing other sites I read a lot about how much these Taurus guns jam, stovepipe, fling out springs, have auto ejecting and rattling magazines, failure to return to battery, lock up before last round is expelled, etc. When my PT111 gave me some issues, I simply took it apart and cleaned it really well and it worked great. Another time when it would not release the slide I took it to the range and discovered that the internal lock needed some fidgiting. This by all means does not negate the fact that some folks have gotten a defective piece, it happens all the time (should it, no. does it, yes).

One thing I've learned about the old timers is that sometimes they didn't have the luxury of a gunsmith in walking distance, nor was customer service around for the save. These guys had to learn how to fix their weapons on the fly and did some nice custom work as well.

What I'm saying is that we (me included) have become a society who expect perfection from products that cost anywhere between $250-$2,500. Me personally, I admire those who can fully disassemble a 1911, order custom parts and machine them perfectly into a perfect pistol. I would like to aspire to be like them one day. Hell, I'll even tip my hat off to the guy who will use a dremmel tool in order to make a grip fit an ambi-safety properly. This is why I am not quick in calling CS when I encounter any problems with any of my guns. I try to figure it out, but if I feel that it is completely beyond me. It will see a gun smith before I really screw something up.

Anyhow, I hope my thoughts have come out clear and not too over convoluted. I sometimes end up confusing myself ;D

·
Registered
276 Posts
schlemer said:
Now to my point. While surfing other sites I read a lot about how much these Taurus guns jam, stovepipe, fling out springs, have auto ejecting and rattling magazines, failure to return to battery, lock up before last round is expelled, etc.
Don't forget that the PT1911 also cooks perfect eggs, toasts bread, gives great back massages, provides legal advice, and will one day bring world peace! Didn't you read about that? I think it was an article in "Shooting Times". :devil:

Yeah, I'm beeing a kook! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts