Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first gun, shot a lot and own a couple, but this was my first actual purchase. It is for my concealed carry permit Im going to get in March.

Anyway.... My question is on this particular gun, is there a way to add things like a rail for laser and tactical lights? and I know that you could obviously mod the sights with other types as long as they fit the dove tail design and screw in.

I know that this gun isnt really for target shooting, and If I am going to conceal its not a great idea to start adding things to it... but if you can add, then you should be able to take off... so if I want to add things I'll take them off when I want to conceal.

Anyway... Since I am new to this... Can you all suggest some websites where I can get some military surplus type stuff thats not crap... more or less just looking for a bag to hold my stuff (cleaning kit, gun parts, mags, etc) Also would like to look into getting some special ammo for the home defense...will have mags at the ready depending upon conceal carry or at home.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Hello yhwdesign, and welcome to TaurusArmed.net!

I don't know of a way to add a rail to the MilPro PT111, but can tell you, from personal experience with mine, that you've chosen one fine pistol for concealed carry.

The little guns are very dependable, lightweight, and remarkably accurate at self-defense distances!

Reactions: yhwhdesign

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you like a 9mm with a rail, I suggest you get the PT609 instead (hard to find and therefore, getting more expensive, though). Or just get a PT145.

Edit: Sorry, I just reread your post, you just bought the PT111. The answer is no.

MidwayUSA is a good place to start.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wal-Mart carries Remington 9mm 115 gr hollow point in 100 count boxes for about $28. cheap when compared to self defense rounds at $29 for 20 rounds.
I would tell you welcome from Arkansas but you probably live up the road from me.
Welcome from Searcy
owner of 2 mil pro's and 1 1st generation PT111's all the way

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Accessories always light up the eyes of new gun owners - kinda like ******** and shiny things - but...

For now you have only the PT111. If you could add a laser and a flashlight you could go to the range anf have lots of fun.
Then, you take off the accessories to make it more concealable when you carry. Not good.

My opinion is that you want to practice at the range with the gun in concealed carry configuration - the same condition it will be in if you ever have to use it in a dark alley or a parking lot.
If you had a pistol that could be CC'd comfortably with a laser - no problem. Make such a gun your next purchase.

·
Registered
50 Posts
there really is no need for a rail when using your gun for conceal carry. lazers and lights make concealing more difficult. a light and maybe the lazer are more suited to a night stand gun, home defense, when you are walking around a dark house. the pt mil pro series is a very fine conceal carry choice because it holds a decent amount of bullets in a small package, it hides well in a iwb holster, a lazer doesn't work well in that style.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
IMO, rails should only be on rifles. A handgun doesn't need accessories hanging off the front end like a brick. Best solution is practice as often as possible, learn the sights, and know your gun. Once you do those 3 things, you should have no problem qualifying with your gun.

Reactions: yhwhdesign

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I agree with mj9mm and Montkun. I once tried a "tiny" laser sight on the PT145 and I took it off after a couple of days. The laser sight made the concealment of the PT145 much harder and besides it looked "cool", it didn't help my shooting much. So I don't care much about the accessory rails on the pistols.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I prefered mine with the rail, even tho i dont plan on putting anything on it, i just like the frame design of the mil's with the rail better than without :)

·
32,527 Posts
I've got an older generation 3 model without the rail. The new one I am getting has no rail either and I prefer it that way.

I do not add tactical anything except a bit of neon colored paint sparingly on the front sight and nothing else.

·
Registered
29,897 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state. :cool:

The PT111 is designed for "concealed carry" not Ramboish kick stands, whistles & bells.

Keep it simple, learn the basics and it won't let you down.

Take they money you would have spent on add ons and spend it on practice ammo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wanted to say thanks so much for all the quick information. I will try to keep any posts I place here, relevant and not amateurish.. lol I am very excited about my first hand gun, and since I was one of those who had the want and the passion for military service but was not accepted, I have a passion for the "gun world" so to speak... anyway... I have been sick for the past three days and so I have not had a chance to get back on here to see the replies.

Thanks so much again for the help, to all.. I will be going over the helpful information and any links you all have posted I'll defiantly check them out.

·
Registered
29,897 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks so much for all the quick information. I will try to keep any posts I place here, relevant and not amateurish..
Your post was very relevant.

Most of us Ole' Farts just hate to see new folks to the gun world get sucked into the "magic bullet" and "tactical tomfoolery" nonsense some forums tend to lean towards.

Advances it technology are fine but law enforcement, the military and legally armed citizens have to saving their hide for decades with the plain tools of the trade.

Regardless of what one chooses, the gun's reliability should be paramount; then work on the basics and building your skill set.

Lots of practice ammo put to good use goes a lot further than all the wiz-bang gadgets one can "add on".

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Accessories always light up the eyes of new gun owners - kinda like ******** and shiny things - but...

For now you have only the PT111. If you could add a laser and a flashlight you could go to the range anf have lots of fun.
Then, you take off the accessories to make it more concealable when you carry. Not good.

My opinion is that you want to practice at the range with the gun in concealed carry configuration - the same condition it will be in if you ever have to use it in a dark alley or a parking lot.
If you had a pistol that could be CC'd comfortably with a laser - no problem. Make such a gun your next purchase.
What I was thinking. I CC with my Mil Pro you don't need a laser or light to hit the target. That said if you have poor eyes and think you may need to fire in low light settings you may want to add some night sights.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts