Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have often wondered what the requirements are for obtaining a CC permit are.

Is there a marksman skill level needed? I'm not talking 100 yards etc, it must be closer as this is for personal protection.

Can someone let me know please as I want to propose that we try this out here at my club to see what the outcome might be. We obviously do not have CC in the UK, we don't have 'normal' hand guns but we do have the UK legal long barrel pistol/revolvers. What size are the targets? (I suppose that might be obvious)

I think it would be an interesting experiment.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Many states have different requirements. I think Texas has a decent shooting requirement that would be interesting to try. Maybe a Texas member can give you more details. In Florida, the gun shooting portion is very minimal. I just had to show I can fire a gun.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
In Texas we had to fire 50 rounds at varying distances, 3, 7, and 10 yards I think. The target size was the standard police size and you had to be able to put most of your shots in the center 2 rings.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

Reactions: john_bud

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The NC requirements are super easy 10 shot each at 3,5 and 7 yds using a silhouette target 21of 30 must hit target. My 9 year old could pass it after her 1st range trip shooting pistols

·
Registered
812 Posts
I thought the shooting requirement in Kansas was a bit of a joke. Seems like we had to fire with dominant hand and non dominant as part of it. There was a change in distance too, but honestly, scoring hits on the paper was pretty much it. You might look into how IDPA conducts their shoots. They are timed for each shooter, they have scenarios in targets and they try to simulate defensive shooting. Scores under those circumstances are more meaningful to me than just punching holes in the center of a paper target with no time limit.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Here in Indiana there is only one requirement...you meet the background check.

There is no shooting test. Only an online form one fills out and fingerprints taken. Then you wait. But it is worth the wait for the LIFETIME license to carry.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
North Carolina doesn't require it to be a silhouette target, just a target that has a scoreing ot main area of 12".

We just used a 12" target. 21 out of 30 shots must hit from 3 yards, 5 yards, and from 7 yards.

I'm in favor of that requirement for 2 reasons:

1) That's not a very big distance nor does it require extroirdinary skills to hit. If you can't hit that, you suck! ( meaning you could hit everybody but the intended target)

2) Since NC is an open carry state, not receiving your CCP in no way violates your Constitutional rights to carry. It only means you can't carry concealed.

Edited because 5 out of 4 people can't do math!

Reactions: ncfarmer

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
North Carolina doesn't require it to be a silhouette target, just a target that has a scoreing ot main area of 12".

We just used a 12" target. 21 out of 20 shots must hit from 3 yards, 5 yards, and from 7 yards.

I'm in favor of that requirement for 2 reasons:

1) That's not a very big distance nor does it require extroirdinary skills to hit. If you can't hit that, you suck! ( meaning you could hit everybody but the intended target)

2) Since NC is an open carry state, not receiving your CCP in no way violates your Constitutional rights to carry. It only means you can't carry concealed.
That's a pretty demanding requirement. Has NC ever issued a CCP? ;D

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Reactions: G8R8U2

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
For Arizona, copied from AZ CCW Permit » Arizona CCW Permit :

"Completes an Arizona DPS Certified Firearms Safety (CCW) Course which must include passing a written examination and completing a live-fire firearms qualification consisting of a minimum of 20 rounds (10 shots at 5 yards, 10 shots at 10 yards) with 70% of shots within the secondary scoring ring of an approved target (14” x 16”)."

Pretty easy to hit that big a square at 10 yds, it is slightly smaller than what is considered "center mass".

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies guys. I am surprised at the variation between states.

I will pass the info from Chicharrones to the club committee and see if they are up for it.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Mo is very basic. 20 shots with a semi auto and 20 with revolver at 7 yds. 15/20 of each must hit a silhouette target anywhere. Any basic shooter should be able to pass.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I am surprised at the variation between states.

I will pass the info from Chicharrones to the club committee and see if they are up for it.
To add what wasn't written on that website, autoloaders were only allowed to have 5 rounds loaded per magazine and at least one spare magazine was suggested. This was done so 5 shot revolvers could share the firing line and keep reloads between gun types "synchronized".

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've renewed mine 3 times. 16 yrs. since I took the class.
IIRC, 4 hrs. class time and 4 hrs. range time.
50 rds total fired at the usual distances.
Get fingerprinted.
Fill out application @ DMV.
Pay $115 one time.
Wait.
Then renew ($50) every 4 years.

ETA: Background check at beginning and every time permit is renewed.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
NC requires an 8 hours of classroom training which at least 2 hours must be on legal issues and a written test which the applicant must score a minimum of 70. If the class follows the requirements from the NCDOJ Training and Standards Guidelines then a proficiency test is given that includes handling, loading, unloading and the cycle of operation of the handgun used by the individual for the class. Minimum standards for marksmanship are 30 rounds fired, 10 at the 3 yd, 10 at the 5 yd and 10 at the 7 yd targets which 21 of the 30 rounds must be score-able. Once completion of the minimum training is completed a certificate is issued by the instructor. The applicant then goes to their local sheriffs dept., pays the fee (around $94), is fingerprinted, fills out the application form, waits for the completion of a background check and approval then issue of the permit.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts