Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I had not looked into the Taurus pistols very much but I really like the .45 varient. Would you mind answering a few questions for me?

What is the pull in lb's on the trigger?
How is the trigger's reset?
How can you compare it to other pistols like Glocks?
Do you carry it concealed and if so how do you like it in that roll?
Are spare parts readily available and how is the Taurus customer service?
What holsters do you use for it?
Has it given you any problems as far as malfunctions go?
How accurate is it so far?
It is rated for +P ammo, right?
How about .45 Super?
Does it have a lanyard loop at the base of the grip?
How many rounds have you fired so far?
Is the thumb safety positive or mushy?
Do you push the safety down to disengage it like a 1911?
Is the slide wider or thinner than a Glock 17's slide?

I appreciate your time.

Thanks.

Damon

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well I don't have the 45 only the 9mm and it's still pretty new to me but I might be able to help with a few questions.

-It's about a 6 lb pull (but feels lighter).
-The reset is very short. It's even shorter than glocks. Very easy for follow up shot.
-Never been a big fan of glocks just because I prefer a manual safety but if your worried about durability The 24/7 under went the same tough tests that glock is so famous for (sand,mud,water,running it over) and passed with flying colors.
-Don't have my concealed yet but when I get it I am planning on carrying it.
-Haven't had to worry about spare parts or dealing with customer service.
-I have a cheap nylon IWB holster with a extra mag clip right now but planning on getting a galco holster very soon.
-Not one single problem. The gun is great!
-Pretty accurate about 4-4 1/2 inches at 15 yards.
-Only fired about 300 rounds so far
-The safety is not mushy at all. very easy to switch on and off. Up is on and down is off.
-Depends on which glock your talking about but not being very familiar with glocks I believe they are very close.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I can't wait to get my hands around one of these.

Do you know where I can find that torture test? I wasn't aware of this.
Does the gun have a loop for a lanyard? If not, I suppose I could make my own with a dremmel since it's a polymer grip..

Damon

·
Registered
159 Posts
I love my .45 Pro. Shoots relatively soft and way more accurate than I am. The trigger feels more crisp than Glocks. The grip on mine felt MUCH thinner than the Glock 23 I used to own, it's a lot easier to hold on to than the Glock...for me anyways. It's all around a much better firearm than any Glock I've shot. I even like it just a hair more than the Steyr M40-A1 I replaced the G23 with and the Steyr is an absolutely awesome handgun.

My 24/7 Pro .45 loved shooting 200gr +P Gold Dots. It fed them very well and recoil didn't change much at all. If I could afford to shoot that round more often, I would. Once I start reloading that'll change ;)

I probably won't buy another firearm (after getting a 1911, just because of course ;) ) because my Steyr and 24/7 Pro .45 are perfect for me. I also say this after getting some range time with my Dad's H&K USP .40.

I can't say anything about Taurus customer service but that's only because I've never need to use their services.

·
Registered
493 Posts
No loop for a lanyard.
There is actually to places you can look.
1) There is a short video on the taurus website that shows them pouring dirt on the gun and running it over.
2) There is an article in guns & ammo. Just go to there website look up taurus pt 24/7. It will bring up an article about the OSS but at the end of the article they tell you all about the torture test they did to the PT 24/7 since they didn't have the OSS to do it to.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The 24/7 series is not rated to +p and +p+ ammunition. You shoot it at your own risk. It may even void the lifetime warranty.

I have a 24/7 Pro .45acp and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I own both a glock 22 and a 24/7 pro. I like both, but feel that the 24/7 45 shoots softer than my .40 glock. The glock just does not fit my hands as well. One the downside, I wish crimson trace made a lasergrip for the 24/7 product. I am not going to bash either, they are both nice weapons, but you will be hard pressed to find a better quality / price ratio than the 24 /7

Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
echase1 said:
I own both a glock 22 and a 24/7 pro. I like both, but feel that the 24/7 45 shoots softer than my .40 glock. The glock just does not fit my hands as well. One the downside, I wish crimson trace made a lasergrip for the 24/7 product. I am not going to bash either, they are both nice weapons, but you will be hard pressed to find a better quality / price ratio than the 24 /7

Ed
Thank you all for your input.

Is the 24/7 wider than the G22? I want to use this gun for concealed carry (IWB).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently purchased a 24/7 9mm and I love it!!!.. I was going to get a .45 but decided against it because I read a lot bad user reviews www.tacapp.com about its feed reliability. I also read an interesting article entitled "Why The Popular 9mm Gets No Respect" by Paul Scarlata, January/February 08 Handguns Magazine It was very informative and stated that modern 9mm loads have similar bullet expansion and produces fatal incapacitation a fraction of a second slower than some .45 loads. For me it was more of an economic decision 10.00 for a box of 9mm ammo vs 15.00 for .40 & .45 at my local range. Whatever you choose shoot it and shoot it well, because at the end of the day anyone here would rather hit with a .22 than miss with a .45 in an emergency situation :).

Just my 2 cents lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just bought the .45 and took it to the range yesterday. Not a single ftf or problem whatsoever! Just make sure you clean it after ever 50 rounds until you get to 300 rounds or so. The first pull is wonderful. The others are a little heavy, but you get used to it pretty quick.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Damon said:
Thank you! I can't wait to get my hands around one of these.

Do you know where I can find that torture test? I wasn't aware of this.
Does the gun have a loop for a lanyard? If not, I suppose I could make my own with a dremmel since it's a polymer grip..

Go to there website and look under video's

·
Registered
61 Posts
REGARDING THICKNESS...

I just got mine (in 45 ACP) and cleaned it. Haven't had time to get to the range...
As I was putting it in my safe, I compared the thickness to my Glock 22. It appears to be the same, but doesn't feel the same...
The top of the slide is rounded, so that may be why...

Hope this helps...

God Bless,
Doc S

·
Registered
159 Posts
My 24/7 .45 "felt" smaller/thinner than the Glock 23 I had. The G was easier to conceal ONLY because the grip was a lot shorter. Other than that, the Taurus grip is thinner and the slide is rounded. Taurus > Glock.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Taurus states in their 07 catalog that all their weapons are "engineered for a steady diet of +P ammunition."

·
Registered
122 Posts
in the manual for the 24/7, it states this on page 9:
“Plus-P’, “Plus-P-Plus” or other ultra or high velocity ammunition generates
pressures significantly in excess of the pressures associated with standard
ammunition. Such pressures may affect the useful life of the firearm or
exceed the margin of safety built into many pistols and could therefore be
DANGEROUS.

I do also remember reading that they are not rated for those ammunitions as well, but I cant find where I read that. Oh well.. I say use at your own risk.

·
Registered
166 Posts
*As stated in the 07 Full Line Catalog Page 4 right below the Life time repair policy.* This has been a long debate and there is contradictory info out there. I plan to scan this page when I get home and post it.

+P Rated For Duty Use
All Taurus handguns are engineered to accept a steady diet of factory-new Plus-P (+P) ammunition built to SAAMI specifications. This includes the Ultra-Lite hammer forged aluminum alloys, Titanium, blue steel and stainless steel models. Rest assured, your Taurus will be ready, especially when you're counting on it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Damon said:
Hello!

I had not looked into the Taurus pistols very much but I really like the .45 varient. Would you mind answering a few questions for me?

What is the pull in lb's on the trigger?
How is the trigger's reset?
How can you compare it to other pistols like Glocks?
Do you carry it concealed and if so how do you like it in that roll?
Are spare parts readily available and how is the Taurus customer service?
What holsters do you use for it?
Has it given you any problems as far as malfunctions go?
How accurate is it so far?
It is rated for +P ammo, right?
How about .45 Super?
Does it have a lanyard loop at the base of the grip?
How many rounds have you fired so far?
Is the thumb safety positive or mushy?
Do you push the safety down to disengage it like a 1911?
Is the slide wider or thinner than a Glock 17's slide?

I appreciate your time.

Thanks.

Damon
Hi Damon,

I'm a big 1911 fan. I've been shooting and carrying them for quite a while.
The trigger is DA/SA. After you chamber a round, the trigger has a bit of take up, then you have a short trigger stroke. If the weapon doesn't fire (hard primer or such), you have 2nd strike capability (pull the trigger with a longer pull but same let-off).

Compared to the Glock, I really like the grip and the safety too. I don't trust the Glock safety.

I plan on carrying it as a CCW, but need to find a good IWB holster (preferably in Kydex).

I think you've probably seen the previous exchange regarding use of +P ammo.
No, I don't believe you can use 45super.

I've only fired a couple hundred rounds so far.

I like being able to carry "cocked and locked". with the 24/7 45 ACP. The safety feels similar to that of a 1911.

I think I mentioned earlier that I compared it to my G22 and it appeared to be the same thickness, althought it looks thinner (I'm guessing because of the rounded edges).

Hope this helps!

The only thing I really don't like is the heinie 8 sights...

I'm going to find some night sights that work on this and change them immediately.

God Bless,
Doc S

1 - 19 of 19 Posts