Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More specifically, my handgun. :D I am looking for tips that will help me get the most out of my used pistol and I was hoping some of you could help me.

I am looking to trade/sell my PT92 that I've had since 2002. The gun came with the super awesome cool fun 10 round magazines :rolleyes: (of which I have 4). It has Hogue rubber grips (and the originals in storage). I have an after market 15 round mag as well.

It is in excellent working condition. The gun is in what I would call good cosmetic condition. Some of the black has worn off of it from normal wear. Also some minor nicks and dings (none of which are very bad at all). The engraving has started to accumulate a bit of rust.

What can I do to help clean up the looks of the gun? Especially to spiff up the engraving? Refinishing is out of the question, obviously.

ATTN: Mods. If I posted this in the incorrect forum, I apologize. Please move it to where it belongs.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Cleaning is a good idea. 'Simple green' will clean up most gunk in the engravings.Wiping down with breakfree or some other clp and a toothbrush will work as well. Don't use anything abrasive, it'll only make things worse. Don't worry about dings or scratches from holsters.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Since you're primarily asking about prepping a gun for re-sale this section will work fine. Now if you were listing it for sale (rather than just saying that you're looking at selling/trading) that would go in the Firearms Sales section which you need 25 posts to be able to find (kind of like Shangri La).

I'll second a good muzzle to butt cleaning. Take your time and try and hit all the places you didn't know existed previously. :D Don't forget to clean under the grips. Disassembling the mags and giving them a good cleaning will help as well. Some shops don't clean up the guns they take it so having a nice clean gun should help.

If you're wondering about a rough value, I'd suggest starting to cruise Gunbroker.com & GunsAmerican.com (there are other online firearms classifieds sites but I can't think of their names right now). There's also Buds Gun Shop but they don't seem to do much with used guns.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips.

I got a trade in quote from a dealer the other day. He quoted it at about what I was wanting for it. However, before I trade it, I have 200 rounds that have been waiting to be used for months. I'll shoot those through it and then give it a really good cleaning as you guys described. Then ask the dealer to look at it again to see if he will up his price and or throw in a box of ammo for my new gun. BTW, I ordered a 24/7 Pro .40 from him that I will trade the 92 for.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He quoted $360 + 6% sales tax for the new 24/7.
He'll give $200 for the PT92 on trade.
I'll post pics of my new baby when she comes home. :)

I could probably get more for it with a private sale. Especially if I throw in the 2 holsters and 2 extra 10 round mags + a 15 round mag. This deal works good for me since I will be trading my only handgun for a new one. This way I won't have such a lag between selling the PT92 and buying the 24/7.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.