Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first firearm, the Raging Judge 513 6" barrel. Due to the fact i'm brand new to gun ownership i have to ask why the 3" cylinder isn't rifled? Wouldn't that make the accuracy comparable to traditional cylinder sizes while retaining the ability to utilize 410 shotshell? Like i said i'm completely green so could someone politely tell me why i'm wrong or on the off chance I'm not wrong tell me a company that sells a cylinder that is rifled or a smith that would do that work. Thank you all

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
interesting choice for a first firearm!
hope it all works out for you.
welcome to the forum.

·
8,986 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I do not know of any revolvers with a threaded cylinder, but kinda an interesting posit. Using that one inch on a 3" cylinder to extend the barrel rifling for 45LC in a Judge hmmmm. interesting. But in reality to insert 410 shells into a cylinder it would need to be a smooth bore, it is hard to push them in sometimes on a normal day. What made you decide to choose a raging judge as your first weapon? Not knocking it, just wondering. My first weapon after my 30 yr hiatus from firearms was a Taurus Judge, quickly followed by a S&W SD9VE semi auto. I realized carrying the Judge was not optimum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback and warm welcome, that makes sense. To answer the question of why i purchased this particular firearm, i found it for $780 new at a LGS and appreciated the versatility. I've always enjoyed the feel and reliability of double action wheelguns so the ability to use it as a home/car defense weapon (im a heavy sleeper so loading the first 2 cylinders with Federal HD shotshell and remaining 4 with 45lc sounded safer and would in theory reduce the risk of over penetration as i have a 5 year old daughter), as a snake gun, and as i frequently go backpacking with a group of friends the 454 casull sounded like a great load for bears. My group has several 12 ga shotties loaded with slugs in case the need arises so its a backup. And before someone asks no i haven't shot the 454 round through it yet but I'm planning to later this week. Speaking of rounds the rifling seems to spread the birdshot excessively fast is, there a way to add a removable choke? This won't be the last firearm i purchase, just seemed like a reliable jack of all trades to start my journey. Thank you all

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have you watched Hickock45's video on the Judge? He non-scientifically tests several types of ammo for pattern and perceived effectiveness.
His videos can be quite biased and difficult to sit through sometimes, but this one reveals a lot about how different types of ammo perform out of the short barrel version he uses in this video. Your 6 " barrel should hold a slightly tighter pattern with shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts