Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: Questions about durability of airweight Taurus revolvers & airweight vs regu

I also would like to get a ultra lite....but I think I'm going to get a S&W 642, just like my Dad's. But I have a M85 (.38 +p) steel (21oz). It's a great little snubbie. has about 1000+ rounds through it, and it shows no signs of looseness. But it is still a tad too heavy for pocket carry, and the hammer does snag (unless you use your thumb to cover it when pulling it out.)

steel is probably most durable (the Ruger SP 101 comes to mind). The other Alloys are lighter, but I'm not sure about durability. I get the impression that most of the lighter (non steel) snubbies are carry a lot, shoot a little, guns. I know that the S&W 340PD has a history of cracking after a bit of shooting.

http://www.thegunzone.com/sw340pd.html

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: Questions about durability of airweight Taurus revolvers & airweight vs regu

As for 38 spl rounds, the 357 will most likely always perform better than the 38. You can see some tests if you google.
no doubt that the .357 mag will out perform the .38 SPL, even in a 2" snub. But I think the recoil is just insane on such light weapon. When shooting the Ruger SP101 in 357, ported (which is not a light snubbie). I find it too much to be practical. The lighter recoil of the .38 allows for much faster (and more accurate) follow up shots. to me, that more important, than dealing with a more potent round, but harder to control.

I'm sure a few shots from a .38spl will stop most BGs. I don't see the need to over kill my senses with the .357 round in a 16oz, 2" snub. but that's just me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts