Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to revolvers so pardon me if these questions have been asked before.

By way of background, when I lived in California I carried a Seecamp 32 because I had to hide this pistol from both the bad guys and from the police. I now live in a state where open carry is allowed and where concealed pistol permits are easy to obtain (I have one). So now I would like to upgrade to a revolver (I have about ten semi-autos so this option is not up for discussion) which I can carried concealed or, if the situation warrants, completely or partially open.

I am focusing on hammerless revolvers such as the Taurus 650 or 850. My first question is this:

I am torn between buying a pistol that can handle .357 Mag which means getting a 2" revolver that weights about 24 ounces or a pistol that is rated .38+P that will weigh about 16 ounces. Is the extra umph from a 357 worth the extra weight? If I am using the pistol it will be in an urban setting at a short distance so I wonder if .357 is overkill (slip of the tongue).

My second question is this:

If I buy an airweight Taurus hammerless revolver in .38+P do I have to worry about this alloy pistol wearing down? I will probably put 100 rds of 38 Spec and 50 rounds of 38+P to break it in, and then put it in my drawer so the amount of ammunition fired though it will not be huge.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: Questions about durability of airweight Taurus revolvers & airweight vs regu

I also would like to get a ultra lite....but I think I'm going to get a S&W 642, just like my Dad's. But I have a M85 (.38 +p) steel (21oz). It's a great little snubbie. has about 1000+ rounds through it, and it shows no signs of looseness. But it is still a tad too heavy for pocket carry, and the hammer does snag (unless you use your thumb to cover it when pulling it out.)

steel is probably most durable (the Ruger SP 101 comes to mind). The other Alloys are lighter, but I'm not sure about durability. I get the impression that most of the lighter (non steel) snubbies are carry a lot, shoot a little, guns. I know that the S&W 340PD has a history of cracking after a bit of shooting.

http://www.thegunzone.com/sw340pd.html

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: Questions about durability of airweight Taurus revolvers & airweight vs regu

Keep this in mind: S&W has been making Aluminum framed revolvers for many many years, and I have yet to hear of wearing out. Scandium on the other hand, well as mentioned has been prone to crack.

I am in the market for getting a M85, and the UL is the one I want. Weight is really important to me. I've done the research on AL framed guns, and they last long enough for those who own them for 20+ years to not complain about wear or break.

As for 38 spl rounds, the 357 will most likely always perform better than the 38. You can see some tests if you google.

Here is one for your reference
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/38 Snub Ammo Test.htm

·
Registered
89 Posts

As for 38 spl rounds, the 357 will most likely always perform better than the 38. You can see some tests if you google.
no doubt that the .357 mag will out perform the .38 SPL, even in a 2" snub. But I think the recoil is just insane on such light weapon. When shooting the Ruger SP101 in 357, ported (which is not a light snubbie). I find it too much to be practical. The lighter recoil of the .38 allows for much faster (and more accurate) follow up shots. to me, that more important, than dealing with a more potent round, but harder to control.

I'm sure a few shots from a .38spl will stop most BGs. I don't see the need to over kill my senses with the .357 round in a 16oz, 2" snub. but that's just me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: Questions about durability of airweight Taurus revolvers & airweight vs regular

Krinkovliu said:
My second question is this:

If I buy an airweight Taurus hammerless revolver in .38+P do I have to worry about this alloy pistol wearing down? I will probably put 100 rds of 38 Spec and 50 rounds of 38+P to break it in, and then put it in my drawer so the amount of ammunition fired though it will not be huge.

Thanks for your input.
Why would you put it in a drawer? I`m new here also but from what I have read and after talking to the Taurus people, all the 38 revolvers are +p rated. I just bought the 85 UL and it shoots great and for me 357 would be overkill. Its all about shot placement, 5 in COM. Shoot non +P at the range and carry +P for SD carry if you are worried that you will break it. just my hummble 2 cents.

·
Registered
663 Posts

Krinkovliu said:
If I buy an airweight Taurus hammerless revolver in .38+P do I have to worry about this alloy pistol wearing down?
From the most current Taurus catalog:

+P RATED FOR DUTY USE®
All Taurus handguns are engineered to accept a steady
diet of factory-new Plus-P (+P) ammunition built to SAAMI
specifi cations. This includes the Ultra-Lite hammer forged
aluminum alloys, Titanium, blue steel and stainless steel
models. Rest assured, your Taurus will be ready, especially
when you’re counting on it.

On the other hand, there is the local FAQ indicating that after they have your money they pretty much reverse that.

JimL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts