Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting for the PT1911SS to come out when I find out that Taurus has a aluminum framed version (PT1911AL) coming out soon, now I want that one but since I don't know alot about 1911's I was wondering if there are any concerns with the aluminum frames on a 1911, I love the idea that it's 5 ozs lighter and has a duo tone finish, but I'm worried, should I buy the Stainless version or wait for the AL version. This would be my one and only 1911 so I don't want it if the aluminum frame will be problematic. I do plan on putting alot of rounds thru it, maybe some competition shooting. Opinions needed please. Thanks

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=609&category=Pistol

Bam Bam

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
oh this is a no brainer, stainless! my boy, stainless!

if it's beefed up aluminum will be ok but stainless steel is the way to go on this one in my opinion... definitely.

if you're looking to buy a 1911 you're probably not looking for weight, size, or capacity.. you want some .45 muscle.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
+1 for Stainless. It's already out no need to wait ;)

If you already had a 1911 and wanted to try something a little different I'd say sure get the AL...

I have nothing against alluminum framed guns (Beretta/Taurus 92, and Sigs have alloy frames; and they are some of the best pistol designs out there IMO).

I can't predict if there will be any issues with the AL version but few other companies already make alloy framed 1911's and I haven't heard any horror stories.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If anybody does get the alum. frame let us know how it works out, I have been looking into this to. I have the PT92 afs alum. frame and love it.
Jay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the opinions guy's. I really like the idea of a lighter frame and the aluminum frame doesn't really bother me, I was just wondering if it would hold up in a powerful handgun like the 1911. I am not in a rush to get it (still saving up) so I can wait till it comes out, then make my mind up. Just good to have to "expert" opinions from guy's like yall. Thanks again.

Bam Bam

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have the stainless model. So I have to say go stainless.

·
32,737 Posts
Colt and other gun companies have built or do build aluminum framed guns.

While conventional wisdom says these won't stand up to heavy usage actual proof that alluminum frames stand up well is in many of the articles John Farnam,Clint Smith, Chuck Taylor, and other gun writer 1911 aficianados.

Thee proof was in either torcher tests of 20,000 rounds or more or the fact that the aluminum Colts and other 1911 models that have stood the test of time and are still fuctioning right along with their newer brethren.

Since metalurgy has become better over the intervening years there's no reason why things would be for the worse.

Colt made the Lightweight Commander. Actually, the present Colt Defender series are aluminum framed. Those were more for ease of carry than for competition shooting. There's no reason that an aluminum framed gun can't compete with the steel framed or polymer ones.

Recoil will be a bit more pronounced due to the lightness of the aluminum. Shouldn't put a .45ACP shooter off the scent though.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Don't forget that almost all AR 15, M4, and M16 guns are made on aluminum lower receivers. Think of how many rounds go through these guns.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts