Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to this site and to handguns in general. I recently bought a stainless Taurus Model 606 .357 w/ a 2" ported barrel. I don't know much about Taurus aside from the lifetime warranty, so I was really glad to find this forum. I have two questions:

First, did I buy a good gun? The gun was inexpensive, but it was sort of an impulse buy. I have read a lot of posts on other similar models (605, etc) but nothing on the 606. I would really like to hear from anyone who is familiar with the 606.

Second, can I use .38 plus p's with this gun? I have only put about 100 rounds through it so far, and those were light 38sp and 357 mag.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The 606 wasn't around very long that I remember. Its a medium frame 6 shot 357. I don't recall much about them in particular as I never owned that one.

You can safely shoot standard pressure 38's, 38 +P, 38 +P+ and 357 magnum ammo. As the list goes from left to right the pressure increases. Now, 38 Super is a totally different cartridge and isn't compatible.

I wouldn't bother with the 38 +P+ stuff, just go with the magnum ammo, I just listed it for completeness. Actually, I'm not sure if much +P+ is actually still made in 38. It was more of a law enforcement (LE) loading.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Steelheart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Steel, I appreciate the info.

When I was firing it the other day I noticed the action felt like it was sticking, and I had a misfire. Should I take it back to the dealer for a tune up?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Have you cleaned and lubed the gun since you got it? Some ammo is dirtier than others. Plus there could just be a build-up of stuff thats slowing things down some. I'd suggest a good cleaning and then see how it goes.

I wouldn't mess with the sideplate unless you are sure you want to deal with it and will be able to get it back together right.

Steelheart

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Paethon, how's the muzzle flash and noise on your ported barrel? Could you recommend this as a house gun?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pepe,

The muzzle flash doesn't seem too bad--I've only fired the gun in broad daylight, so I don't know if it would effect a shooter's accuracy in dim light. As far as the noise, this is definitely a very loud gun. If you fired it at an intruder in your home and missed, you could at least be sure he'll be deaf for the next couple minutes.

I bought it primarily to use as a house gun, because it's small and I know that my wife could use it if something happened while I'm out of town. It doesn't have much recoil either, so it isn't too intimidating to her and it remains fun for me to take to the range.

Hope this helps.

·
32,651 Posts
Experiment you do not want to do. Try shooting that thing with magnum ammo in an enclosed room without hearing protection. Indoor shooting with a ported gun can and will disorient the person. Reverberating shock waves, muzzle blast,and loss of night vision can result. Even with the new low flame retardant powders currently out there.

If you have to bring the gun in close because the attacker or attackers are upon you physically, then you'll have to bring the revolver close into the body. Now the blowtroch hot gasses and debris are coming straight up at to your face and parts of your body.

Severe physical damage will or can result.

These things need to be considered. Obviously the .38 Specials downplays all this some.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1960.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2349.msg17014#msg17014

By the way. 606s are still in vogue and obtainable in Brazil. Their still being made.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply sir Phaethon. How's you're 606? Worked out that sticky feeling and misfire already?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts