Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our small Island we have been quite lucky amidst the Covid-19 pandemic. In the last 122 days we have had only two reported cases, both of which are in the community and self isolating at home. However, I read this story and, in my opinion, it's a very border-line matter. The woman in question was on her way home to self isolate but knew she needed gas. Should she have stopped? or should she have taken the chance and continued her journey (which was only seven miles or so from where she stopped for gas).

In the cold light of day I guess she was in the wrong but she could have helped her situation by staying in her car, speaking to and explaining her circumstances to the guy at the garage pump through the car window and offered to pay over the phone. Thus no physical contact would have been made.

However, the law says she failed to adhere to the rules so she's jailed for four weeks. Just or unjust??

Jail for breaking isolation rules | News |

·
8,326 Posts
Tough call. Sounds draconian, but communities that take the virus seriously seem to be doing better than the rest of the world.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tough call. Sounds draconian, but communities that take the virus seriously seem to be doing better than the rest of the world.
Indeed. There have been tough measures in place here but, all in all, they have been extremely effective. Sadly we lost 22 souls, but out of a population of some 82,000 that's a pretty impressive figure. And 18 of those deaths all happened within a care home facility.. which is now closed.

Our borders with the rest of the UK remain closed. Anyone coming to the Island MUST self-isolate for 14 days.. or face the consequences.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
That is RIDICULOUS!!!

Now as I read it, she didn't test positive for Covid, just was required to isolate because she was off the island for a while.
I could see sending her a citation, but to lock her up for four weeks is OUTRAGEOUS!!!
That is more likely to spread the virus than if they left her alone.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is RIDICULOUS!!!

Now as I read it, she didn't test positive for Covid, just was required to isolate because she was off the island for a while.
I could see sending her a citation, but to lock her up for four weeks is OUTRAGEOUS!!!
That is more likely to spread the virus than if they left her alone.
I fully understand what you're getting at but maybe if I explain that there has been a severe rise in infections in the UK, all in areas in the NW, where 99% of arrivals from the Island will either land or depart. There are quite large scale local lockdowns in place in many of these areas (one town went from 10 cases to 122 in 24hrs..!!). So whist it may seem draconian to impose these restrictions I believe our government is taking the long view. Point of fact, the woman should not have stopped until she got home. Had she run out of gas she should have contacted the authorities.. she didn't, she went to a garage (which by the way was closed and she roused the owner banging on the door.. so she exited her car).

If she's come back to the Island with the infection she, or anyone else, wont know for four days. The garage owner now has to be tested, as will his family. And she resisted arrest too..!!

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Let me get this straight. Ms. Murphy and the 80 year old gentleman she takes care of, arrives by boat on the Isle of Mann which is their residence. Instead of going into a required 14 day self isolation, she drive to a filling station to get petrol. The gas station is closed so Ms. Murphy bangs on the door to roust the manager to buy her petrol. While filling her car she tells the off duty manager that she just arrived from the mainland and is on her way to self-isolate. The off duty manager is thinking, not only did you intrude on my off duty time to get petrol, you exposed me to possible Covid 19 when you should be isolating your self. He calls the police. The police goes to Ms. Murphy residence and the 80 year old gentleman verifies the facts. Instead of apologizing for poor judgment, Ms. Murphy is indignant to the police ("What else am I suppose to do") and resists arrest.

Once the news gets around, I bet other arrivals will not be stopping for petrol, beer, or other commodities on their way to self-isolate for 14 days.

The Judge did the right thing!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once the news get around, I bet other arrivals will not be stopping for petrol, beer, or other commodities on their way to self-isolate for 14 days.
Oh you'd be surprised. One guy flew in in his private plane and stated he'd come from Ireland which, at the time, there were no restrictions from. Silly man should have thought it through as his flight plan, when checked, showed he'd come from London..!! "Step this way Sir, six weeks chokey for you Sir..".

There will always be some muppet who thinks they can get away with it. On an Island this small EVERYONE knows who's home and who's not. And, if they are not home, you bet someone knows exactly where they are. Small communities, gotta love 'em.

Reactions: Bruntson

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
A cage that protects you can easily become your prison ........ are we slowly being conditioned to the security of a cage? ...... A trial run, IMO.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Oh you'd be surprised. One guy flew in in his private plane and stated he'd come from Ireland which, at the time, there were no restrictions from. Silly man should have thought it through as his flight plan, when checked, showed he'd come from London..!! "Step this way Sir, six weeks chokey for you Sir..".

There will always be some muppet who thinks they can get away with it. On an Island this small EVERYONE knows who's home and who's not. And, if they are not home, you bet someone knows exactly where they are. Small communities, gotta love 'em.
That pilot must have been arrogant or a fool, maybe a bit of both. I'm a pilot an know that your flight plan is forwarded to all customs officials. With the Isle of Man having only one airport, the tower is in direct communications with customs about when a flight arrives and where it came from.

I'm from a small town in the midwest USA. The main entertainment in small communities is talking about what each other is doing all the time.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
So what happened to the eighty-year-old duffer who was with her? Did Hizzonner send HIM to the pokey, too?

In actuality (except for getting huffy with the Constable and actually exiting her car at the garage) HE did the same, right along with her, didn't he? I mean, ferry boat, drive, stop, drive, home.

Maybe this would have been a good case for justice to be tempered with mercy - - except for the attempt at social distancing and swearing ( gasp! )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts