Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously thinking about buying an R85104 next weekend. I've been googling around on the web regarding this issue of breaking the firing pin - or "hammer nose" as I think Rossi terms it. This seems to be the only repeating issue that seems to crop up with the 851.

Does anyone know exactly what causes this? Is the cause something that can be detected during an inspection at the gun store counter? Is the firing pin hitting the frame somewhere? Is there too little or too much wiggle where it's pinned to the hammer? Whatncan I look for?

I plan on inspecting the gun for proper cylinder bolt timing and for cylinder end play. But I'd like to catch any potential problems early if I can/

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Let's see what the Rossi owners say, I've got my eye on that gun as well.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine"state.

State of "1 MILLION 150 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

One of my co-workers has a 20 year old stainless steel M-851 that's gone through thousands of live and dry fire evolutions with zero problems.

If I were in the market for a M-851 I would not be in the least worried about the issue.

·
Registered
32,153 Posts
Welcome to TA. When checking a Rossi or another firing pin mounted on the hammer, you can see if the firing pin is properly fitted and aligned as it passes through the firing pin channel, both side to side and up and down. Also examine the firing pin itself to make sure there are no surface flaws in the steel of the firing pin. Poor side to side fit and flaws in the steel seem to be the main problems other than abuse.

Reactions: NathanaelGreene
1 - 6 of 6 Posts