Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question I just purchased the PT 709 last week shot 50 round did well until last to mags it did not take the last round. The manager of the store asked if it shot fine I said yes then he said it is probably the magazine. I did call tTauras and they are sending another. Just want some feed back also want to know opions on this gun. I like everything about it but on alot of forums alot of people are bad mouthing it . Please let me know your opinion.
Thanks

Big Daddy Yankee

·
Super Moderator
36,003 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois! I don't own a PT 709 but there are a lot of folks here that do and most of them like the pistol a lot. My PT 145 was very hard to load to a full 10 rounds and was impossible to slingshot a round for chambering until the springs wore in a bit. Leave them loaded as full as you can and I am pretty sure in a few weeks you'll be able to load them up fully.

A lot of people bash a lot of different firearms on various other forums. You won't find brand bashing here...of any firearms because it is contrary to the rules and spirit of our place. Glad you stopped by and I am pretty sure that you will come to appreciate the membership here.

Reactions: Bigdaddyyankee

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
What brand and type of ammo were you using?

Some 709's are finicky for ammo types. Some do not like Winchester White Box, others do not like the steel cased Russian ammo.

ALSO did you COMPLETELY strip the gun and remove the preservative coatings from the gun and the magazines? The factory preservative is sticky, and NOT a lubricant, and MUST be removed; then the pistol can be lubed appropriately.

I recently helped a co-worker with a similar problem and her factory new 709 magazines were full of sticky preservative.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you are saying to keep my magazines fully loaded for awhile and that should work it out. And thanks for the reply

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I did not and that I believe is where I made the mistake because the gun shot well. But I did clean as soon as I got to my home but did not break down the magazine but I have had a full load in it for few days.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I agree with making sure to take the base plates off the mags and clean the inside.
I hope the problem does not persist, the 709 is a great pistol! I have well over 1,200 reliable rounds, at least 4 different brands of FMJ and 3 brands of JHP, through mine. The only person that could bash that would be an uninformed brand snob! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks for your input. I am a Glock owner and this is my first Tauras so I am in between but I only have shot the gun one time so I am going to give it a shot haha but I really like the way it shoots and the way it holds in my hand. Now I am going to try to find a holster I think I am going to try Blackhawk and look at the Galco brands. Ammo well we will see My Glock can shoot anything but I just want to make sure because I live in SC and this will be my main carry gun about 7-8 months out of the year. Your input

·
Registered
36,283 Posts
Gunscrubber is our friend!!!
NO weapon should be fired without first a good field strip , cleaning and inspection and then reassembly and lube.
this is typically just asking for trouble, it will eventully bite you in the butt.
welcome to the forum by the way.

·
Super Moderator
36,003 Posts
You probably don't use it if you are used to cleaning Glock, but a lot of folks use BrakeKleen for some pistol cleaning. The coating on Taurus magazines is a kind of paint coating and will soften if cleaned with brake cleaner.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Look to be sure the slide-lock tab isn't interfering with the last round feeding. Taurus has been good lately about free pickup/shipping and fast service (in Miami), but the free shipping is only for the first year. So don't wait too long before contacting customer service (assuming the fix isn't obvious). What the others said about cleaning is spot on. The magazine follower could be dragging in lube/preservative. I only use dry lube in magazines.

I have a 2010 vintage 709 and four magazines. I haven't experienced your problem. But I've read some TCP (PT 738 ) posts with similar symptoms.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well we will find out tuesday when I shoot again. I cleaned my weapon good and will re clean again before tueday ssaw something forgot the name I was in walmart spray that breaks down the oil/carbon leaves nothing can not remember name did not buy was not sure of product think "break away " maybe . Then you have to oil gun I believe when I was in corp we soaked it brushed with tooth brush and wiped down and lite re-oil that is what I am going to do unless I need to do different.

·
Registered
36,283 Posts
I think walmart caries like Winchester break free spray cleaner??
I think thats the name!
I quit using it especially on poly pistols as it seems much stronger than Gunscrubber (made by birchwood -casey) especially the synthetic safe gunscrubber.
the break free or whatever it is smeels and acts like a very strong acetone (nail polish remover).
just didn't care for it personally.
Just a FYI.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just finished cleaning the magazine and pistol again before tuesday gong to the range gonna give it try again hopefully the magazine works great this time like I said the gun shot great just did not get the last round. But cleaned all again so lets see what happens if this don't work probably will take a 50 dollar hit and go to the Glock in the 9mm or the Khar in the 9mm but I sure like this gun we will see it should be fine just a new gun use to the glock hard to go a little differant ya know

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
went well had 3 fte on first 50 rounds and 1 fte on 2d. ala in all was pleased almost traded the gun but they said give it a chance needs good break in about 300 to 500 rounds I will be shooting again this thursday I may also be leaving a little bit too much oil. But I am also going to try firming up my grip some and arms. talk to you Friday coming let you know

1 - 15 of 15 Posts