Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I'm selling out my pistols by the end of this year due to failing eyesight, I have a question for the real Taurus experts here. A couple years ago, I bought a chrome PT100 40 cal barrel and installed it in my chrome PT 92. (Just a drop-in modification.) Seems to be no problems in the few times I fired it to check functionality, and I use it as my "nightstand gun".

Does anyone know if there is a Taurus 40 cal barrel that would be a direct fit for my PT917? I find the 917 much more comfortable when carrying concealed, either in a hip or shoulder holster and like the idea of the extra knock down of the 40 cal, and I LOVE my PT917.

Maybe I could have a blued PT100 barrel cut down to fit and use it? I'm not much for taking foolish chances but I've been around firearms long enough to know (since age 4 and I'm 73 as of last week) that manufacturers don't push the edge of the envelope when it comes to specs and, for legal reasons, generally underrate about everything by a margin of maybe 75~100%. (If they don't, they're stupid and soon out of business).

·
32,533 Posts

·
Administrator
17,820 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a Taurus 40 cal barrel that would be a direct fit for my PT917? I find the 917 much more comfortable when carrying concealed, either in a hip or shoulder holster and like the idea of the extra knock down of the 40 cal, and I LOVE my PT917.
IF the .40 case head rim will fit into the Slide BoltFace of your PT917, there is a very good chance that a .40 Caliber Conversion will work.

IF NOT, then don't waste your time and money.

Another problem with the .40 is that deals on ammunition are becoming harder to find and many Pistols in that caliber often sit on Gun Dealers shelves for a bit more time.
The good news is that prices on .40 caliber Pistols are down, if you can find one.

The PT917's were and are, great handguns, and a PT917, even in 9mm, should very adequately protect you and yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts