Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a cheap 22lr plinker rifle. I have no knowledge of scopes at all. What would you recommend. Looking to go cheap.. Thanks

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
What brand of .22.... ;)

i have one on my 10/22, mine requires a scope base that you have to add..
My Norinco has the grooves for a scope in the gun itself,and my Marlin .22 mag has them on there also...
Scopes are pretty cool on .22s..
gives you good practice on sight picture if you hunt with a scope... :)
I am not sure of the name of the scope on my 10/22...it is kinda worn out on the outside..

Scopes come in different powers(zoom)...guys that hunt with big guns usally have a 3 X 9 scope...these give you a advantage for looking far away(works the same way as Binoculars that zoom)..

On .22s a good all around scope is a 4X...can't zoom it but really clears up a sight picture..
That is what is on my 10/22..... :D
My .22 mag has a 3 X 9 on it, it has a greater shooting range so it is useful...
if you are shooting more than 100 yards with .22.. you will probally not be as accurate..(I know that guys shoot much farther than that and can take a fly off a table) so that is just a general thing on 100 yard shots... ;)
So 4X is a pretty normal thing on .22s...

If i am not correct somewhere on this.. please feel free to correct my post guys ;)

Found this on Calelas...
It has good reviews, if i break the scope on mine somehow.. i will probally get one of these( nice price too) :)

Hope this helped 8)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ptics_general&cm_ite=scopes&_requestid=114603

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a Savage Model 62. Bought it for $70.00 Like Brand New

·
Registered
212 Posts
You can get a scope VERY cheap by going to the local sporting goods store & buying one off the shelf (not where all the big scopes are, but by the airgun/.22LR section). If you don't need magnification, I highly suggest a $25 red-dot sight. See below, from walmart.
You'll need a mount, but your rifle may have come with it (or has removable screws where it attaches).

regular scope:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5871180

red-dot scope:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3266760

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a trip to Wally World

Thanks

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Avoid the 4x15 and 4x20 scopes as all the ones I've seen were junk.

Right now I've got a cheapish 4x30 (I think) on my scoped 22. Only had it out once and I think I messed up one of the rings when I was mounting it but the rings were from the previous scope which died after many years of service. Once the weather warms up (April???) I'll haul it out for some more range time and see how the rings hold up.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Yikkeess...while i was modifing my post above,,,, you guys all replied.... :D :D
guess i better type faster..lol

kingofwyliet...
that red dot is cool..did not know about that :rolleyes:
i will have one of those for sure now :D :D

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
If you want a cheap scope check out the pawn shops, especially the ones that sell guns. A lot of people will buy stuff brand new and use it once jsut to throw them away. Also a lot of sporting goods stores sell rifle packages with a scope and people think the scope just isn't good enough and pawn it without using it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
would recommend getting a decent (but cheap) .22 scope (Tasco & BSA come to mind - just bought my first BSA but haven't tried it yet)
emphacize ".22" scope --- thing called parallax
don't understand it enough to explain but it can screw you up if your head (eye) isn't in the same position everytime
some scopes you can adjust parallax for range
others have a fixed setting - most .22 scopes are set for 50 yds
centerfire scopes are usually set for 100 yds
Wallyworld carries both here and most outdoor stores should have
read instructions for setting reticle focus

·
Registered
212 Posts
You don't have parallax with the red-dot scopes. The dot appears to move with your eye. Hard to explain, but if you use one, you'll see what I mean. They are pretty cool.

·
Registered
53 Posts
muttmutt said:
I have no knowledge of scopes at all. What would you recommend. Looking to go cheap.. Thanks
The Shooting Sports Cheap Scope Page
http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/scope.html

Its a long read to get through all the pages but well worth the time.
maybe overkill for what your looking to know for this time, maybe not
it has a page on reseting parallax.

Its pretty hard to find realistic scope reviews.
I've never heard a gun mag or retailer' reviews say "this is crap ".
warm and glowing articles with a healthy layer of mushroom nutrients seems to be the norm.

·
Registered
132 Posts
take a look at the Trijicon...........the accuracy and clarity is amazing. I have messed with a lot of them, but when i tried the Trijicon then I never knew it can make shooting this easy.

·
Registered
497 Posts
cassrh said:
Don't buy cheap. That's what you get. Spend as much on the scope as the firearm.
I am 100% in agreement with cassrh on this one. Why go cheap, when you can spend a bit more money and get better quality and performance? A scope is more than a black tube with a cross hair (reticle) in it. You get what you pay for.

In order to be totally honest, I must inform you that I am a former employee of Leupold, where I got a great employee discount and I get a retirement check from them monthly.

Here's my Ruger 10/22 with a Leupold 4x fixed scope.​

·
Registered
212 Posts
I tend to agree with spending as much on the scope as the firearm, for nicer firearms. For an inexpensive .22 plinker, however, I would get something like I linked from Wal-mart.

If this were a hunting rifle, I would give different advice. I have an EER Leupold on my hunting pistol. I have a BSA red-dot and a fairly inexpensive tube scope for my Ruger 10/22 (sometimes I even use the iron sights). All three of those work great for my .22LR.....I just go with whatever I feel like for the day.

My not so wonderful analogy:
If you want to go racing, you will spend much more on the motor than the car. If you are looking for cheap transportation to get from point A to point B, on a budget. I wouldn't put a hot motor in a Chevette.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I just think you should use a 1" scope on any .22 not the so called .22 scopes and it don't have to cost a bunch as king said for your gun

1 - 16 of 16 Posts