Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be a newbie question.. but does .06gr actually mean six grains of smokeless powder?

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
NO....that is six-hundredths of a grain, or less than a tenth of a grain. My scale won't even measure that, are you sure you saw that somewhere legitimate?

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Grains are not usually expressed to two decimal points. If the source is foreign "gr" might be grams which .06 grams would be very close to one grain.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
7000 grains to the pound.

Buy "The ABC's of Reloading" and read it, twice. Then, buy a good reloading manual and read it, twice.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
May be a newbie question.. but does .06gr actually mean six grains of smokeless powder?
as mentioned --NO!
that would be 6.0 Grains.
most scales are only accurate to 1/10 or .10 grains.
and that's not very much product in a scale pan, looks almost like dust.

·
Super Moderator
35,537 Posts
See, this is why America should have converted to the metric system years ago. :D

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Weights and measures trivia:

Grain, unit of weight equal to 0.065 gram, or 1/7,000 pound avoirdupois. One of the earliest units of common measure and the smallest, it is a uniform unit in the avoirdupois, apothecaries’, and troy systems. The ancient grain, varying from one culture to the next, was defined as the weight of a designated number of dry wheat (or other edible grain) kernels taken from the middle of the ear. It was also used as the original basis for the medieval English inch, which was defined for instructional purposes as the length of 3 medium-sized barleycorns placed end to end (about 2.54 cm). The Sumerian shekel equaled the weight of 180 wheat grains; the British silver penny sterling was set at the weight of 32 wheat grains. The metric grain of 50 mg is used to weigh precious stones.

·
Registered
15,359 Posts
where were you getting load data that specs out .06gr?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry.. my mistake.

0.6gr not .06gr for sub sonic .22LR and 1.0gr for target .22LR 1.0gr would be, one grain of smokeless power .. I think? :)

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Sorry.. my mistake.

0.6gr not .06gr for sub sonic .22LR and 1.0gr for target .22LR 1.0gr would be, one grain of smokeless power .. I think? :)
That's correct. But don't be fooled into thinking it's necessarily the same powder in each. Maybe it is, maybe it's not.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
That's correct. But don't be fooled into thinking it's necessarily the same powder in each. Maybe it is, maybe it's not.
Thanks for your comment. . I read that certain smokeless powers have different load data, so thanks for pointing that out again. I'm researching reloading .22LR.

Some people say, it's not cost effective, but from I have seen and in regards to the type of shooting that I am reloading for, I think it is.
Some others say it is too time consuming, and I agree with that, but also I think that it would be a good start for me.... to try to do.

This mainly is proof of concept at the moment, trying to keep the cost down for all materials. I also do not want to get into pouring out lead into molds for the rounds themselves. And this is more for target shooting from single shot .22LR rifles.

One idea, is using wax bullets out of paraffin, or possibly getting a .22LR mold and using a hot glue gun to form them in the mold to fire them out. From what I have seen, they don't foul up the bore that badly.

I have not found anywhere that sells .22LR bullet heads by themselves, that would solve that problem.

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
HMM? so let me ask?
DO you have a designated Beer Holder yet?
sounds like you might need a Designated Beer Holder!
IF you are down in Middle Georgy I can offer to hold your Beer for ya while you do these test.
and despite what others here may tell you, I do not sip on your Beer when you are not looking, well usually anyway.
good luck and be safe.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Thanks for your comment. . I read that certain smokeless powers have different load data, so thanks for pointing that out again. I'm researching reloading .22LR.

Some people say, it's not cost effective, but from I have seen and in regards to the type of shooting that I am reloading for, I think it is.
Some others say it is too time consuming, and I agree with that, but also I think that it would be a good start for me.... to try to do.

This mainly is proof of concept at the moment, trying to keep the cost down for all materials. I also do not want to get into pouring out lead into molds for the rounds themselves. And this is more for target shooting from single shot .22LR rifles.

One idea, is using wax bullets out of paraffin, or possibly getting a .22LR mold and using a hot glue gun to form them in the mold to fire them out. From what I have seen, they don't foul up the bore that badly.

I have not found anywhere that sells .22LR bullet heads by themselves, that would solve that problem.
Do you own any centerfire? They are a lot easier to reload. A lot of reloaders start with the whack-a-mole Lee Loaders. They are cheap and they work.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you own any centerfire? They are a lot easier to reload. A lot of reloaders start with the whack-a-mole Lee Loaders. They are cheap and they work.
I do, both in .380ACP and 9mm... I've seen reference to Lee Loaders for replacing Shotgun primmers. I'll have to take a look at those. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HMM? so let me ask?
DO you have a designated Beer Holder yet?
sounds like you might need a Designated Beer Holder!
IF you are down in Middle Georgy I can offer to hold your Beer for ya while you do these test.
and despite what others here may tell you, I do not sip on your Beer when you are not looking, well usually anyway.
good luck and be safe.
LOL! Sorry. even though I do like beer.. never when shooting.. not even when cleaning my guns.. only after they are locked up.
I do at times, stop at St. Mary's when I'm traveling on 95, which is about 15 mins from Kingsland.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I do, both in .380ACP and 9mm... I've seen reference to Lee Loaders for replacing Shotgun primmers. I'll have to take a look at those. Thanks :)
I don't think they make the .380 one anymore. You might find a .380 on eBay but sometimes they go for more than a new one in a popular caliber that's still in production.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-classic-loader-9mm-luger.html

These really do work. Before buying bullets or powder check out what they list for loads. They are limited. There are ways around that. You can load any data you can find with it, but you'll have to make your own powder dipper. Which isn't a big deal, but you'll need a powder scale to do that.

Here's the load chart for the 9mm loader, I scanned mine. If you go to youtube you'll see plenty of how-too videos.

View attachment lee9mmloads.jpg

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Sorry.. my mistake.

That would be 6/10ths of a grain, which is definitely measurable.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
So a .300 Win Mag shoots a boat tail Shekel, my .22LR shoots silver penny, and my 5.56mm AR shoots a 21.125 carat precious?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I don't think they make the .380 one anymore. You might find a .380 on eBay but sometimes they go for more than a new one in a popular caliber that's still in production.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-classic-loader-9mm-luger.html

These really do work. Before buying bullets or powder check out what they list for loads. They are limited. There are ways around that. You can load any data you can find with it, but you'll have to make your own powder dipper. Which isn't a big deal, but you'll need a powder scale to do that.

Here's the load chart for the 9mm loader, I scanned mine. If you go to youtube you'll see plenty of how-too videos.

View attachment 421669
Thank You, I really appreciate your time listing all of that out. I was looking at what it would take cost wise to reload 9mm, in regards to see the over all cost involved doing all of that... and maybe I'm not figuring something this out right? If I'm wrong.. please let me know...

In general, I can buy two 50 rounds boxes of 9mm fmj solid round nose for $10.00 each for a total of 100 rounds... So that is $20.00 total.

If I want to reload 100 rounds (and say I already have the brass):
Because I am not casting / molding my own bullets I can buy 100 bullets for $18.00, give or take.

Then, if I can find them locally, which I should be able to.. for small pistol primers, CCI 100 pack is about $4.00

So, with that alone noted above, that is over what I can spend outright retail wise buying 9mm ammo... by $2.00? So that's what is confusing me right now...

Although.. maybe that the majority of you guys are making your own bullets out of melting reclaimed lead into molds, to off-set the cost of the bullets themselves? Yes?

The smokeless power 1lb which should last awhile, is about $20.00 locally
A digital scale for weighing out the smokeless power per the load data chart, I have not checked on the cost of that.
The Lee Loader reloader kit I found for about $39.00, which is needed outright.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts